Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 23rd June 2012, 07:35 AM

As I don't shoot the national circuit my contribution isn't based on observations of others. When I did the club instructor training course I was shown the recommended way of using a bag for kneelers and that is how I teach all my newbies at our club.

Face your body about 60 to 70 degrees across the line of the shot. Place the bag on the floor just in front of the toe of your back foot. Place the other foot forward and parallel to the line of the shot. Kneel down on the bag so that your knee is on the far edge and the bag is under your shin.

Keep your back foot vertical. The base of your spine is allowed to touch the heel of your back foot. Place your front foot so that the shin is vertical or with your foot slightly forward of that position, to throw your weight backwards. Do not bring your front foot nearer than the vertical shin position. (Except for elevated shots when there may be no alternative).

Place your forearm along the line of the front thigh - if you can - and make sure that the wrist is unsupported and takes the weight of the rifle.

This is not a very good quality photo as it's enlarged from a wider shot but it demonstrates the above. Can you tell me if my position is legal? (apart from being left handed of course...)

Last edited by rich; 23rd June 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:47 AM
Member of: Purley Chase ftc
Default kneeling rule's

The big issue with rule's is how people read them.
I spoke to an individual in the mfta winter league about the way they took disabled kneeler's.
That person had been told by another shooter that used the disabled position,how to take them.
There leg was out straight at an angle not straight in front and they had their hand on their knee.
When i pointed out this is not correct they asked who could tell them the corret manner to take them.
I would say that most are doing thing's correctly as they interprate the rule's.
But if we can publicly flog one man for use of the rule's, then why not sort out people not using the rule's correctly?
Personaly i am concentrating on my own technique ,rather than bothering with other's.
But if we have rule's then they should be stuck to.
About as much use at field target , as a life guard at the Olympic swimming pool.
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:55 AM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

Picture looks Perfectly fine to me.

With regards to Berty and big bean bags, I'm sure his position is fine and most are but I think the problem is some people may not even realise their bag ( doesn't have to be the bigger bag) is giving extra support to the buttox. I think the problem arises when it is positioned too close to the ankle and if filled pretty well will puff up, I have to be careful with my smaller range sports bag.
Still maintain a kneeling roll is way to go, or just permit the bag to be used to support knee and/or upper shin. A good pair of boots will support the ankle but then again im not sure how some of the larger frames may feel about putting extra stress on the ankle joint so prob some form of ankle support would/may be needed.

Education is key, I'll be on a kneeling lane at the TONDU GP (if Simon allows me ) helping those with their technique (if they want it) and advising them before addressing the targets. If it takes an extra 20mins for the session and people go away with better knowledge and understanding then the sport can only benefit.

He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:02 AM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Not

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
Have you not seen Paul's coat peg Holly, rumour has it you have seen similar
Not Since Davinia gave up shooting dear boy ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:17 AM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Bags

Originally Posted by mikewills8904 View Post
I take your point about no bag issue
But as responsible people it must be about using it correctly and education ,
Like I said if we start banning bags then were does it stop
Well mike . with bean bags banned , next will be shooting gloves and jackets ? cos not everybody can afford them , so an advantage . after that the sky is the limit . as for STU being shy , i have not noticed it . he certainly has a dig at me " ye call that a stander , he he he he he he hah ha hah ye pillock " ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:28 PM
Boingers forever.
Member of: Far Coley
Default Just a suggestion

It seems to me that all the problems here arise from the size of the bag, there are many shapes and sizes out there at the moment, I have 3 different sizes myself. My suggestion is, the club hosting the shoot provides a bag on the kneeling lanes, these lanes should be marshalled at all times and everyone uses the same bag for the kneeling disciplines.
Old 27th June 2012, 06:56 PM
Member of: harriers field target
Default bags

stop the use of bags on a kneeling lane, ta dah!
Old 25th January 2014, 09:17 AM
Member of: Redfern FT
Default Kneeling ?????

Again as a new member to FT see this quote from one of the posts ....

(Solution is to change the rule so bag can be used for keeping knee clean only perhaps?)

My opinion why not just ban the use of sitting bags all together and to keep your self clean use knee pads.
Old 25th January 2014, 10:05 AM

Don't get on here much eh Baz?