Shooting the breeze Rivers West, Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > UKAHFT Official Forum

UKAHFT Official Forum United Kingdom Association of Hunter Field Target

Old 26th September 2011, 06:45 PM
Getting dusty

Thanks guys I had a great day out.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:39 PM
Goed Geschoten

Thanks for a cracking course and a cracking day out. I had a proper laugh for sure, how hard was the course??? DOUBLE HARD!!!

Thanks again

I didn't ask for these powers !
Old 26th September 2011, 08:58 PM
Member of: Fort airgun club
Location: A proud Englishman from a once great country sadly no more.

I thought the course was brilliant and well thought out, the wind just made it all the more interesting . Had a good laugh shooting the course with Simon, Mick Craig and Michaela. Never seen so many donuts shot in one day though . The infamous peg 9 duck was a pain in the arse but it was only the wind that made it so. The whole Cambridge/Shepreth set up is brilliant and look forward to my next visit.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:00 PM
Spirit of HFT 2009

Thanks to the Cambridge crew for a good days shooting. Enjoyed the course and suffered like a lot of other shooters. Thanks to Steph and James for the company around the course, looks like it's all to play for, for the top shooters at the final round at Quarry.
Old 27th September 2011, 05:40 AM
Ich dien
Member of: Quarry Hunters

First of all well done to Bruce & Andrea and all the Cambridge members that helped set up the day.
Well done to all the winners and shooters but special well done to Shaun on a cracking 57!!!

Cheers to Neil Smith for the lift, not sure if I’m keen on leaving Wales at 4.30am though
Thanks to everyone who mucked in to help on the day with the absence of PeteD and Jane.
Good company from griggsy and Mick mac on the day.

To our sponsors Theoben and nice to see Darren Godfrey there to show off some products.

Cheers all see you at Quarry.

Last edited by Sparky; 27th September 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 27th September 2011, 07:55 AM
Member of: Kibworth

Thanks to all the team involved in organising and setting up. I had a fantastic day. My first UK and couldn't of hoped for a better challenge. Think that level of wind should be put in jars and sold at a premium to course setters. Missed both the duck and the flag pole but others didn't so not an impossible shot. (NOTE TO SELF - MUST STRIVE TO IMPROVE). Live quarry wouldn't choose the stediest post or branch to rest on and arnt course setters trying to re-create realistic senarios.

Thanks to Greg and Grego for the lift and support, and to Paul and Andrew for the company. Great shooting Andrew. Dropped both the Duck and Flag Pole and took the win.

Old 27th September 2011, 08:39 AM

Well done Cambridge great course thought every target was superb. Personally I loved the Duck and the free stander got one not the other.

Great going around with Neil and Shaun who never looked like missing thought at one point a 59 was on.

Great shooting and a great win mate it really was your day and a pleasure to watch you.

Also thanks to all at UKAHFT.

Hobbit Army

Rick Ardern super low mounts ISP MK3 pellet launching platforms and Sightron 10 x 42mm telescopic sights.
Because it is not about how, but how many.

Old 28th September 2011, 06:38 AM
Lucky git

Originally Posted by Garagefairy View Post
I am not sure what was wrong with the 'duck' target. Was it that it was moving in the wind? This is what I was told and, if so, what was the issue? I have seen 'wind affected targets' at many other shoots ... targets up trees that sway with gay abandon, targets on lofty poles .... none of which attracted any adverse comments that I am aware of. Or have I missed some information somewhere?
Personally I thank Bruce and Co for a very inspired course that took many man (and woman) days to physically set up, and that was after all the design work had been completed.

Or was the problem that some people simply misranged the target, as indicated above? If so, I guess they would not have minded if they had hit it. So ... missed it? Tough ... move onto the next target.
Regards to all
At the end of the day it's a test of shooting skill not luck. If a target is illegal as per the UKAHFT rules then it shouldn't be on the course in the first place.

No need to be aggressively defensive.....i too have set many courses out that have come under scrutiny in the past and have learnt from the comments. BUT, what you have to take into account is the fact that IF the duck target was illegal but not pulled and the 100% shooter got it anyway pulling the target would have given me an extra 1.7% or something like that. The extra 1.7% could indeed be the difference between me or Rich Woods winning the UKAHFT title (if we shot well at Quarry)....a big if

Now you can see why some comments were made....oh and take into account that we have travelling/hotels expenses as well. Also the hosting club is being paid from the money generated from the entrance fees and, again you can see why people feel that they have the right to comment if they think something isn't right.

I know Bruce and Andrea well and know that they both put a huge amount of work into the do many of us with our own clubs and i've PM'd Sparky and told him that i thought he made the right call about not pulling the target as the pole one might have had to be pulled too....which would have spoiled one of the best courses i have ever shot.

IMHO it's great that we can discuss issues like this on here so that these minor tweaks can be picked up on and hopefully not duplicated by other clubs in the future. Last weekend Cambridge raised the bar with that course and i will try my hardest next year (if Emley get a round) to try to emulate the technical content.
Old 28th September 2011, 03:54 PM

for what its worth... i know bruce and the gang put loads into this course and i was just blown (sorry) away at how the site had been turned into what it was... it was exceptional bruce !! .. and as for the duck !! i loved the duck, i missed it and got a zero, but i loved it... im sorry if others cant contend with a difficult target,

well done guys....
Old 28th September 2011, 11:56 PM

Great course,Fantastic place,Brought my Dad to see if he would like the sport and he bought a rifle before he left the event (i think that is a yes) Thanks to John and Mike for looking after the old man on his first try..