Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 11th June 2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robf View Post
wierd... even on still days i just got fliers... nice grouping fliers, but they flew. Wonder what difference there is between mine and yours Ryan...
Rob it's the way Ryan services his with a hammer... the pellets are too scared to stray!
Wather LG300 With a Lightstream FFP on top, S200T with Viper on top

Buxted HFT - 2008, 2009, 2010 SiHFT Champions My A4 HFT/FT Targets

"When dealing with aliens, try to be polite, but firm. And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet". ~ Wikus Van De Merwe
Old 11th June 2009, 09:28 AM
Member of: Redfearns & the UBC

Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
Bob there's no doubting the quality of PAX pellets, but the bullet shape of the Deviants and Range Masters doesn't perform well enough for what I want. I don't now what happened to the prototype ones you gave to me last summer as they were awesome, the production ones were worse than Deviants in wind.

Lets face it, your biggest market for pileshovers and exterminators is the states where they're more bothered by power than accuracy and we all know bullet shapes work well at high speeds. Shuttlecocks work best at slow speed which is why none of the top shooters here use anything else.

I think you might be onto something Ryan. At medium ranges I suspect the bullet shaped pellets have enough spin to keep them stable. At longer ranges though, it's very likely that pellets are starting to rely more on drag stabilisation, especially in .177 given the lower spinning mass and the steeper fall-off of velocity than larger calibres. So the bullet shaped pellets then may start to tumble a little more, probably not drastically at first, just to wobble a bit like a slowing top. This would open the groups up a lot and knacker the BC making them very poor in wind at longer range.

Airgun barrels all seem to have very similar twist rates (about 1 in 14" I think).
In the US where powers tend to be higher, the pellets will be spinning faster and keep this high spin rate further downrange.

I wish someone (with deep pockets or preferably their own barrel plant) would experiment with higher spin rates. Is Ben Taylor on here?
Old 11th June 2009, 01:49 PM

In my tests, the problem with these pellets was the group size opening up because some pellets usually fell low. It was pretty clear that those pellets falling low punched ragged holes in the card, giving evidence that they had started to tumble in flight, up goes the drag, down goes the BC, and they hit low.
Old 11th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Sparky's Bodyguard

Originally Posted by Dave Ramshead View Post
Maybe that's the difference between British FT / Target shooters and the rest of the world, how many times have there been British world champs compared to the rest of the world, and that includes the Brits playing 12fpe against fac and silly local rules.

If a manufacturer talks the talk, the product must walk the walk. For me, even though they looked well made and have really good weight deviation, the rangemasters or defiants simply were not as good as the main competition in terms of accuracy. I, like many others would love to buy British and support Hugh, but not at the cost of reduced performance.

Build a product that works, people will buy it.

Can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree with Dave.