Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range/  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 4th September 2011, 09:07 AM
Member of: JGARC

The Hämmerli is a fantastic rifle for the money, and noticeably more accurate than a rifle costing twice as much.*

It isn't as refined as a Steyr, by any stretch of the imagination. When you open one up and have a look inside, it's very rudimentary. No super-tight tolerances or ball bearings. But it has it where it counts - down range.

There are few things you can do to improve them, out the box.

First of all, ditch the trigger blade and fit something like a TEC-HRO Touch Point. I've also found that a single-stage trigger works particularly well. This absolutely transforms the rifle.

Secondly, open up the action and cover everything but the hammer and its spring in Teflon grease (or similar). I was very frugal on the trigger components, and generous on the cocking components. Again, make sure you don't get any on the hammer or its spring, as this will affect shot-to-shot performance. You should notice immediately that the rifle is a lot slicker to cock. It's never going to be as good as the Steyr, because as it has already been pointed out, you are pulling back directly on the hammer spring. But it does get to the point where you no longer notice it.

Whilst you're in there, you might want to replace the hex nut that the stock secures to, with a shake-proof version that has the nylon lock ring (you can get them readily from B&Q). This will result in a securer stock fitting.

It is a heavy rifle, but I have found that this greatly helps accuracy and felt recoil.

I've never personally been able to achieve groups as tight as this with any other rifle – and so for this reason alone, I'm going to concentrate on shooting the Hämmerli for the foreseeable future. I suspect it has more to do with the fit and the weight than anything else.

*any of the 9 Steyrs I have owned.

Last edited by CameronWilson; 4th September 2011 at 09:14 AM.