Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

View Poll Results: Who should a BFTA be aimed at?
It's there to test and split the best... 25 32.47%
It should be there for all the grades... 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th August 2011, 08:32 AM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Originally Posted by rich View Post
Maybe each squad should be chosen so that a top shot is there to impart some knowledge and experience to the up and coming, or is he going to say, it's taken me ten years to get here and no way am I sharing any of it with you lot snapping at my heels.
I would like to think that I always try and give some help when I am squaded with lower grade shooters. It depends on how I read them and if I think they will take the advice well

Triigger technique is normally a problem that I see and will point out ways to improve.

I have even advised people to lay off coffee right before a shoot as they commented that they struggle for the first few lanes and then seem to settle down - they had put it down to nerves but caffein could as easily been the problem.

I was lucky when new to the sport - I shot with people like Calps, Bainsey, Ian Taylor, Trev Ryan - all of them would give advice even though they knew you would be snapping at their heels one day
Old 15th August 2011, 08:45 AM

Fair comment Hotshot. I had a situation yesterday, shooting with a new C grader who has missed the first ten targets, he's not going to be in the prizes, it's clear that his basic position was wrong, stance too open, he was happy to accept a few words of guidance but he was anxious that I might get it in the neck, helping during a comp. In this case the help was needed.
Old 15th August 2011, 09:26 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Like Dave, I learnt from the best, and if i didn't have the gumption to ask for advice then I just sat back and watched.

I remember my first national showdown, 1st round, paired with Ian Taylor. I just flicked my mind off from a possible win and thought "excellent, a 20 target lesson from no.1"...

i'll happily offer advice after i see a problem and it's effect, but i tend to steer away from offering major positional stuff on the course because there's not often enough time to adapt.

i would prefer my partners enjoy their day, and it's normally the people that are least likely to make an impact that need a little help. The nice thing about it is that it doesnt stop as you get better... the biggest problem is finding the deep detailed problems a top shot may actually have.

I might add, 5 years later I came up against Ian in the final. The humbling thing afterwards was that Ian remembered my score from 5 years ago.

I might also add that the list is long and varied as to all those people who have helped me along to a win.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 15th August 2011, 03:17 PM
Member of: NOFTC CRPC
Default Some stats from this year's GPs

Ok - took a while but here is a first effort at a breakdown over the past 8 GPs

Updated with charts ...

It is broken down by numbers attending per Grade, maximum score of the day (has quite an impact on 90% and 80% figures). With numbers and percentages achieving better than 80%, 70%, 60%, 50% less than 50% and interestingly those better than 90%.

I think I found all the errors but using google spreadsheets is a learning curve ... some things paste, some don't. There may be other errors but without the original sheets it is a bit of pain to extract the data.

Not sure how it helps but at least there is some data.

All the best

Last edited by neilL; 16th August 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 20th August 2011, 12:15 AM
Member of: Purley Chase FTC

With only 41% of shooters being AA grade and only about half of them in contention for a place, this leaves 79% of GP shooters in the rest of the field. Not much doubt who the shoot should cater for.
Make every shot count

Steyr Hunting 5 Scott Lupold 3-9x33EFR(for LSR )

FWB P70/Bushnell 6500 4-30x50T

SteyrLG110/Bushnell 6500 5-30x50

Steyr LG 100 FT Bush elliot 8-32x40
Old 20th August 2011, 08:38 AM
Member of: Emley Moor

Originally Posted by Jamesy View Post
You were posh Trev...a 3-9 and FWB...I had a 4x40 on a .22 Vulcan.
He's always bragging Paul
Anschutz 9015 Sightron Slll
Anschutz 8002 Big Nikko Mk 1
Ripley AR5s Looking.....
Old 20th August 2011, 10:50 AM
Member of: Cornwall FTC

Has any consideration been given to doing away with the gradings and putting in a handicap system (similar to golf)
This would give people of different ability the chance to compete against each other on equal terms
Old 20th August 2011, 11:18 AM

More grades = more prizes.
Old 20th August 2011, 04:49 PM

Before you know it, turn up get a prize!
Whats the point.

Handicap dont work, some one shoots out their skin and clears the course more than likely ends up around 20th.
Of course the handicap would depend on the region submitting the details avoiding ringers.

Make the courses easier, no point travelling several hundred mile to be greeted with what can be shot locally.

Better to come no where and have a good day.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:57 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Well said Jon.
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85