Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

View Poll Results: Who should a BFTA be aimed at?
It's there to test and split the best... 25 32.47%
It should be there for all the grades... 52 67.53%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2011, 07:40 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Question Who should a national course be aimed at?

Ok, this is unscientific because it's a straw poll and based upon who reads it...

I've not made it public, so people can't see who said what.

Who should a BFTA GP be aimed at in your opinion?
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10th August 2011, 09:05 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Split the best for me
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85
Old 10th August 2011, 09:28 PM
Member of: Midshires

Well if its open to all grades, then there should be something there for everyone.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:42 PM

Open to anyone, but there to split the best.
Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Old 11th August 2011, 07:20 AM
Member of: NOFTC CRPC

A GP is a test of stamina and mental concentration. It should be there to split the current best. Perhaps AA is 'lost' if a shooter takes time out or misses a series. Make AA hard to get, easy to lose.

If a GP is only for a small elite then there may well be serious cost issues?? Why would a club host a GP if relatively few can participate (1 or 2??)? Unless they charge for it as a means to support other events for 'all grades' ?

So, if you can get Lottery funding, for example, then restrict a GP to the very best otherwise it would be based on simple charity from non-AAs - time costs money, fuel, etc. After all it is a lousy spectator sport :-)

Old 11th August 2011, 07:44 AM
Member of: Harriers

Nice colour choice for the bars Rob; it reminds me of the General Election
Old 11th August 2011, 07:53 AM
Weerach ninja
Member of: Pontefract ARC.

I don't think a GP course should be any different from any other course....
I always thought that an FT course should be set up to provide something for all abilities, test the best but not discourage the newcomers or less able shooters.
It's bloody difficult to achieve and to get the balance right, but that's a skill in itself.
NSRA Club coach
International panel beater extraordinare
NHS pin cushion
Old 11th August 2011, 07:53 AM
Why do I bother????????
Member of: Darlington RA

I am just starting out down the road of FT, so my take on this will be different to many. I appreciate that the GP's attract the current cream of the crop. However, we all need to start somewhere. I think it would be a really great way to discourage people by making them so elitist. You would be taking away the opportunity to shoot with the best and "see how it's done".
GP's may not be the place for somebody's first shoot, but you would be taking away a lot of opportunity. The sport should not just be about the top 1%. It would have the potential to put many off and effectively kill the sport if these opportunities were taken away from the majority to suit the minority.
With the best will in the world, a lot of the opinions posted on here are likely to be from that relatively small group of very good shots, who seem to make up many of the users on here, which will give a slanted perspective on the matter. I understand that you guys want a way to "split the best" but that should not be done at the expense of the majority of shooters who make up the rest of the field.
Old 11th August 2011, 08:09 AM

I agree that we really don't want to kill the sport by discouraging newcomers, so club and regional courses should not be so difficult that newcomers can't hit anything.
But as I said earlier, GP's should be open to all AND split the best, so if the top 20 AA competitors are split by 2 or 3 targets then the GP's are currently not hard enough.
Newcomers should expect a lower score at a GP compared to their club course.

Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Old 11th August 2011, 08:20 AM
Account Deleted

i would say try putting a shoot on were only AA grade shooters are invited to moneys would be made,no money for prizes ,would make for a real boreing day out all you top lads out doing each other...the grades are there to involve all abilities from starter to cream of the crop.....
alot of clubs haven't the space to put multipal courses out to cater for all grades so a course has to cater for everybody...all you AA grade shooters have gotten there by shooting the current and previous courses ,courses which were set out to cater for everybody.
now that you have reached the dizzy heights of AA you want it makeing more challengeing so you can be kept interested and challenged and the lower grades dont get the same oppotunity to reach the top, allienateing the rest is the way forward.....NOT!!!