Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 11th August 2011, 09:54 PM
Member of: Blaenau Gwent
Default coarse difficulty/grades

must say i do like the idea of the 25mm kneelers and standers. also the increased distance of the sitters. however this is to make the coarses more difficult. personnelly i dont think the coarses need this, coarse difficulty is not about what targets are out and how far, but the conditions to what you are shooting in.
ie. gp6 iceni 4-49's!!! if this had the windier conditions of wendover i am sure the scores would not have been so high.
My opinion on the grading, so long as the gap is sensible 10% between A and AA seems to work.Grades are going to grades no matter what the percentage is set at.
at the end of the day if you want to go shooting you will go no matter what grade.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:57 PM

On the subject of league courses being less difficult than GP courses, is it feasible to simply relate a person's hit rate at home with their hit rate on the GP circuit?

For example, the last time I checked (as scores sec for the region) our regular GP shooters were if anything knocking a higher proportion of targets down at GPs than they were at our home regional league shoots. Maybe that means our home courses are too difficult.

But when I heard from one club - not in our region - - that they have gimme targets like 18 yard full size kill freestyles in their league shoots, I can see that a few of them in a course would soon give an artificially high average.

On the subject of rolling 20 scores, I would consider any score more than 12 months old to be of much lower use in determining a person's current true ability.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Suzukiphil View Post
The only way to reduce the proportion of AA's is to increase the numbers of C and B grades.
As i said earlier
AA was created some years back, what should have been done is raise the cutoff on the lower grades.

Since the lower grade shooters have got better over the last 10 years being able to buy capable cheap kit, what has happened C graders now become B, B graders infringing in A.
Excluding the ringers if some one wants to do the maths check the averages of C and B graders, bet most will be shooting above their grade!

On the other hand by raising the cut off at C, B and A which effectively would mean lots of shooters dropping a grade, i would wonder how the shooters would feel, cheated?
Surely its far better to shoot in a higher grade and come no where enjoying the shoot.

Agree with Mike, quite like the idea of 25mm standers and kneelers plus the idea of them placed at a reasonable range.