Old 4th June 2009, 09:32 PM
Default Club instructor training course

Yesterday and today we ran a BFTA / NSRA club instructor training course here in Shebbear, North Devon, with (happily not unlucky) 13 trainees taking part - and one guest.

We were lucky that the sun god came to visit and the wind fairy was kind enough to be present when needed.

With Dave Froggett the usual trainer off work at the moment, Bob Dickie of the Shooting Sports Academy stepped in. Bob has been in charge of the British paralympic shooting team and his experience was put to the test by three of the trainees who admitted to being disabled shooters. You're not disabled shooters, he told them, you're shooters with a disability. Nice way of putting it.

Here they all are, looking either very relaxed or very tired, towards the end of the second day approaching the winding-up session.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 4th June 2009, 09:51 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

I must say Rich, I was most impressed with the organisation of the event. Your getting the knack for this (your 3rd course... how many is have been trained on your courses now?)

I could have spent 100x more time chatting to Bob about shooting... 5 mins before lunch he ran over his training experience, and I couldn't believe how much he'd packed into 17 years coaching... and I had trouble thinking about how much one could achieve if they deliberately set out to achieve what he has done.

Another thing that came out of the day was the amount of coaches available to run these courses, so I hope people don't feel that it's a limited resource, as both Dave and Bob were keen to emphasise to me that there's plenty of opportunity to get these courses running.

To be honest, I think there's room for a course in between instructor and coach. There's a hell of a lot to squeeze into 2 days for the instructor's course, and some info is probably a little advanced in my opinion for people to take on from scratch (it was a reminder to me how much i'd learnt since that course 4 years ago). You could probably spend another 2 days going into detail on the FT specifics beyond the 4 basic principles etc + info covered on this course.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 4th June 2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks Rob

I think we had 11 or 12 at the first course; there were 11 on the second one, and this one had 13. It was to have been 15 but two pulled out a few days ago as they had work commitments.

There is some scope for rewriting parts of the BFTA technical skills manual; the section on law needs updating, and personally I'd like to see the section on wind doping give some practical help; too often we hear that reading the wind is a craft to be learnt by experience, implying that there is nothing that can be done except get out there and make your mistakes. What is needed is guidance; having read the wind, or come to the conclusion that it is running at about 5mph from a 2 o'clock direction, where should the aim point be? That kind of information is absent.

Shebbear is pretty remote from what others call civilisation, but such considerations lead to self-sufficiency - which is why we have most of the things needed for such a course readily to hand.