Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range/  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 8th May 2011, 03:38 PM
Default Pentathlon Shebbear

Thank you to all the people who worked hard to make the shoot an excellent day out, it was great fun and a nice change to shoot a number of disciplines that I haven't shot before.
The weather was on our side but the wind was as tricky as ever. Congratulations to the winners, including Simon Evans (overall winner) who I failed to distract with my new coat of many colours!

All the best

Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 8th May 2011, 05:31 PM

I concur with JOE, a really good fun day, thanks to all at Shebbea,r especially the ladies for all their good work cooking & scoring
There is nothing impossible to those who will try!

ISP Airstream MkIII + Gary Cane Stock + Falcon Menace 16x with FT Reticle
Old 8th May 2011, 05:53 PM

i`ll third that,good day,good weather and good company.something different is right,nobody knew what to expect.thanks to Rich and his team,especially the ladies,they kept me going with coffee!!!
Old 8th May 2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the kind remarks, chaps.

Here's the match report. (I hope the forum will format the layout OK.)

Despite the weather forecasters’ threat of rain – which actually held off all day - Shebbear’s shooting pentathlon event attracted 23 competitors, and thank you all for your support; we hope you enjoyed the day.

First event was some LSR standing shooting at 20 yards, five shots in a card, two cards, the better one to count.

Second event was the running rat. The shooter calls pull, the marshal tugs the release cord and a rat is catapulted along a track, launched by a bungee cord. All you had to do was to shoot it before it got to its refuge just over a metre away, and the range was only 15 yards. It looked ever so simple but was frustratingly elusive.

Third event was a speed shoot, a set of silhouettes all at 20 yards, rams worth 1, pigs worth 3, turkeys 5 and chickens 7. Knock them all down or score as much as you can, in three minutes.

FT with a twist was the fourth event; choose which two targets (out of three) to shoot on each lane, the more difficult ones being worth more than the easy ones.

The last event was humane HFT, scoring 3 for a knockdown but losing one point for a faceplate. That meant some tactical shooting; do I go for it or play safe and miss completely?

A tenner for entry meant everyone had free breakfast and lunch, and free tea and coffee all day. And there were modest cash prizes for the individual event winners and a cash prize and a trophy for the overall winner.

Here are the winners – as you will see it became a battle royal between Tondu and Dartmoor Marksmen.!

LSR – Garth Rees 1st
Chris Jones 2nd
Simon Evans 3rd=
Rich Clark 3rd =

Running Rat –
Damian Hewings 1st
Andrew White 2nd
John Farbrother 3rd=
Peter Montanez 3rd =

Speed Shoot
Simon Evans 1st
Chris Glover 2nd
Alec Gibbs 3rd

Simon Evans 1st
Trevor Bray 2nd
Peter Montanez 3rd

Damian Hewings 1st
Alec Gibbs 2nd
Simon Evans 3rd

In every event we gave the winner 100 points, the second got 99, and so on. Then we totted up the points to find the overall winners.

Simon Evans 1st 487
Damian Hewings 2nd 473
Alec Gibbs 3rd 471
Rich Clark 4= 470
Chris Jones 4= 470
Garth Rees 6th 469
Peter Montanez 7th 467
Chris Glover 8th 466
Trevor Bray 9th 461
Bill Hartnoll 10th 460

Damian also won the speed pistol sideshoot competition, hitting five targets in well under three seconds.

The long distance sideshoot egg on a pole (76 yards) was hit 3 or 4 times, well done to Chris Glover (who became a teenager a couple of weeks ago) for hitting the egg with his very first shot. Chris was also only two seconds behind Simon Evans in clearing the speed shoot.

It was a novel format, it was meant to be a bit of fun, no league points, no showdown places at stake, just a bit of fun, which is what we all do it for, really.

Old 8th May 2011, 07:17 PM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006
Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

Sorry I couldn't make it today Rich , but glad to hear the rain held off and the event went well for you .

All of you at Shebbear must have put a lot of work into making it a success and it sounded great fun.

I'm sure that all who attended would have gone home after having a good day with lots of fun.
AA Field Target Team 2007~2011
East Devon FTC - SWEFTA Club Champions 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 & 2013/2014/2015
Old 8th May 2011, 07:28 PM

The long range egg sideshoot was £1 for three shots, all the entry money goes into the kitty along with the club's priming fiver, and if you break the egg you split the kitty 50-50 with the club, who start the kitty off again with another fiver.

It was up to £26 before it got hit for the first time.

The wind was running at 10mph or more and was on your back, slightly over your left shoulder, but the swathes of grass between you and the egg were waving first one way then the other so it was very difficult to read.

There was a corrugated iron sheet as a backstop and we placed that best part of 15 yards past the egg, so the pellet strike points gave a clue that could be misleading...
Old 8th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
Default A good day of fun

It was a long day out, but worth it in so many ways.

Not been to the ground before but thankfully was told today was windy day!

LSR. It took me my first three shoots to get the hang of it, so card 1 was practice. Card two and it was not bad.
dont know what to say next however. Our Jelly Fish usually cant hit Barn doors standing. So there we are, 20 yards and he somehow (Fluke) puts in a super group to score 47. When i went if for the rather tasty Bacon roll i spied his score and that he had beat me (45) but thaught I would forget to tell him. Too late, he had peeked and was in full song after the first event.
Well done young man.

The rat shoot

See vidieo

It looked easy, think it was 16 ish yards. However, on fixed x35 all i saw was the rats arse as it flashed across my scopes view. Fluked 1 but laughed so much at this shoot it was almost the highlight of the day. Jelly Fish fluked one despite only shooting on 10 mag.
Borrowed the TMNJR and thaught on x10 mag i would nail them,( just a practise go.)
Missed all 5!
Jelly fish did the same, but claimed to have hit the last one. So I pulled the rat back up to the half way point, its "still" and all Jelly fish has to do is hit it. 16 yards, big plate, "still", no worries for the LSR champ? Nope, missed it not only once, but twice. This was the funniest moment of a very enjoyable day. He did hit it, only when resting the gun on the wood support.

The speed shoot. Managed to take this despite missing once while rushing an early shot and not having enough pellets out ready. Reckon i should have been about 5 seconds quicker.

Blue was worth the most in each lane but you did not know how much it was worth in each lane?
followed by white with Red being 1 point.

Good format, something different. Hit 14 ex 20 in old Ft money but was a way clear of runner up, I guess because i hit more Blue targets than any other?

Mighty wind, no hope on a 20 yard stander as it was gusting really strong, but very enjoyable Ft shoot.

Jelly Fish wobble in the wind

We had to borrow a HFt gun, left handed, no idea of aim ponts but off we went with a bit of educated guessing and luck. First time for jelly fish and me at Hft, we took them all kneeling as apposed to sitting though. The use of the post was interesting, makes it a much steadier shot. It Felt like cheating at times lol

Jelly fish still missed though, the plate twice lol

Top organisation, big thanks to the young ladies manning stats and food.
Bacon rolls + tea for Brecky, Sausage casserole for lunch and tea and cake to finish,
all for £10. Bargain.

Please run again next year

Really good to see Famousy shooters there.

This is Joseph from the Andrew Lloyd webber show in London, i think.

Either that or someone on E-bay had a really good laugh at Alex'es expense!

I might have forgotten to mention i won!

Really made my day being presented with the trophy, topped off a really enjoyable trip travelling home with a little piece of Silver wear, Money was handy to help cover costs but the trophy is an everlasting reminder of a top day.

Well done to all.
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85

Last edited by NJR 100; 8th May 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:21 AM

It's amazing what these professional photographers can do!
Thank you Simon, for photoshopping out my grey hair! You didn't have to enhance the colour of my jacket so much though.

Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Old 9th May 2011, 08:28 AM
walthers last the course
Member of: oaktree ftc and tondu ftc

fair play simon that jelly fish as madder than a march hair

well done on the win .
Old 9th May 2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
It's amazing what these professional photographers can do!
Thank you Simon, for photoshopping out my grey hair! You didn't have to enhance the colour of my jacket so much though.

When I saw you in it on Sunday, it was a bit like the Emperor's new clothes.... I was waiting for someone to shout out, "Nice cammo Alec, if you're in a gay bar in Soho..!