Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 26th April 2011, 06:53 AM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
Default 15 ml + 25 ml kills at gp 1

Cant say i heard too many complaints about the mini kills at gp1?

So, those that shot the Gp, did you find the 15mm + 25mm kills suited the course.
Were there too many. Was it enough?

I cant make up my mind about the 15 m kills, but i really liked the spread distance wise on the 8 x 25 ml kill targets.
I liked the way the course did not seem too long at all overall and that most certainly is due to 10 x mini kills. Lets face it in that wind distance was not needed.

I dont think i will whitness Mr.Calpin missing a 22 yard target again this year? There is one 25ml hole with a famous scalp to talk about though!
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 26th April 2011, 07:31 AM

I agree. I think that the inclusion of 8 (or more) reducers is a major improvement to GP courses and that the team at Harriers put together a superb course which made the most of the new format.

A spread of tricky targets at all ranges helps to "rebalance" the shoot, to make it more of an all round test of shooting technique and understanding of trajectory. In contrast, some previous GPs have felt like a one-dimensional slog of long range wind judging and scope rangefinding - both of which can be a bit of a lottery at 50 yards plus.
Old 26th April 2011, 07:35 AM
walthers last the course
Member of: oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
Default 15mm and 25 mm kills

i didnt mind them wert to far not realy hard shots. i misssed the last 15mm kill gave it edge and went straight
Old 26th April 2011, 07:58 AM
Member of: purley chase ftc

got the lot of them found them all a good ranges,nice to them all used and not on the limits set from 9 to 35 on 25mm and the 15mm at about 15 to 20 yards
cr 97 in jim vickers ft stock bsa big 60 scope, and silly about of hunting guns
Old 26th April 2011, 09:00 AM

Excellent course, good variety of ranges and sizes and most importantly no stupid impossible targets. It gets my vote

Old 26th April 2011, 09:05 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

cleared them... it was nice to hear (in a way) that some had missed for wind, and they had me twitching a bit as well... that said a lot of misses seemed to be range issues, being high and low... but i still maintain they provide more of a challenge than a 25mm when edge would see 90% of people hit even with a breeze... the course seemed very well balanced I thought...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 26th April 2011, 09:44 AM
Member of: Castle

I Thought the course was very good however there was a lot of whinges at the Tawd Vale shoot last year with quite a few people saying there was too many reducers, my own view is the reducers should be optional quite like the idea of fixed combined yardage for standers and Kneelers though i would be quite happy to see 25mm kneelers at ground level IE in line with the shooter.This is the first season and a good bench mark has been set all credit to Tony,Kev and the lads very well ran GP a lot of effort and around 160 relatively happy customers. I would like to suggest that the BFTA buys a set of pellet scales as we all know that pellets can vary by the best part of a grain i think 3 lads where disqualified for being over the limit rules are rules but i do not beleive this was intentional and yes i know it is the same for everyone but i know of people going through the chrono at over 100FPS under the limit. I am only suggesting the scales for anyone who may think they have got a pellet issue.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:14 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

experiments i've done with my own gun seem to suggest they leave the muzzle at the same speed within quite a varation say from 7.6-8 of the same pellet type... indeed mozzies and exacts seem very close, with barely any change. H's gun is set for exacts and runs at 784 with mozzies.

My change with other guns though, and of course, I don't always run 7.9, most mozzies i shoot are between 7.7 and 7.9 by my scales. Does raise an interesting point though... and I know stated manufacturers weights have been rounded up to the nearest decimal when converted from grams to grains. Think mozzies are something like 7.85 when converted.

It's the old problem of what variation in the measuring device is possible against what is accepted... i'd hate to think what a cheap set of scales in a field combined with the chrono's error could provide in reality. Perhaps the BFTA buffer needs to be bigger to accomodate it? I did some playing in chairgun last night, and winding up H's walther from 784 to 815 with mozzies gives her barely one less click at 55, and shaves 1/2" off a 20mph broadside wind taking 6.5" of wind at 55...

Think the rise in temp may have been the reason... the car said 14 degrees when we arrived late morning, James W had said he saw 6 on his car on arrival in the morning, I saw 32 on the scope (albeit in the sun) in the afternoon. H's gun seemed to have gained 10-15 over another chrono tested a few weeks back, and 1&1/4 MOA of rise... which is way more than chairgun indicates, but in the same direction. Certainly it appears than when we have these sudden changes in heat upwards, there's a few caught out on the chrono... i remember Wales a few years back where it ran into double figures.

I'm still getting to the bottom of a possible temp shift on the walther, but it needs those hot sunny days to see it... when we're in the wood shoots, it's a lot cooler... the scope is a known factor, but my rig seems to flick up now and then, and has been slowly growing in speed over the past couple of months, albeit by only a few fps.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 26th April 2011, 10:53 AM
Post impractical in the field

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
I would like to suggest that the BFTA buys a set of pellet scales
I think it would be found to be impractical to use pellet scales in the field, from my experience the slightest wind from an open window in the house causes the scales to change wildly, even breathing heavily affects them. I understand the suggestion though.
There is nothing impossible to those who will try!

ISP Airstream MkIII + Gary Cane Stock + Falcon Menace 16x with FT Reticle
Old 26th April 2011, 11:01 AM
Self appointed antipimp
Member of: Bisley
Default Simple

Have a tin of pellets in 8.4 and 7.9 which are used in the test , as a base figure on the crono table.
Gone racing