Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Scene > Calender Events

Calender Events What's happening when and where...

Calendar: Default Calendar
My Empire of Dirt
28th August 2011
Boink! at MVAC's Hen Wood.

This will be the venue and date for a springer only FT/HFT comp run strictly to the rules I make up between now and then. Situated in Meon Valley's Hen Woods range, which simply is one of the best grounds in the south, with a whole 15 acres to play with.

For those that don't know where Hen Woods is in the world, think 20 mins outside Winchester off the M3. It will probably be equivalent to a drive to Bisley for those north of the M4. I will stick the exact location up later, but MVAC's indoor range is on the forum airgun club map to give you an idea.

Details will be fleshed out soon, but expect a deviation away from BFTA and UKAHFT but that still allows the essence of each discipline, but allows shooting along side each other on the same course, at the same time, all using bouncing things.

Expect food and somewhere to take a leak.
Expect 15mm's to worry the FT'ers
Expect 55yd'ers to worry the HFT'ers
Expect targets up trees and no supported positionals to worry everyone
Expect a course built for fun, not to devastate shooters, and not like crazy golf either
Expect no stuff in front of targets, or targets under 10 yds.

The wish list is that we get a really good number coming, and that it's a nice day shooting springers and having a laugh. There's a few other things on my wish list, which once I have an idea of numbers I can try and get sorted as well. Things like a side shoot or two. Things like a raffle with a top prize. Things like running this each year if it's a success. We'll see.

So if you fancy a shoot, with something different for a change, and are more fussed about the fun to be had rather than the exact rules you may be following, this is for you.

Before someone asks, there will be two main classes, FT and HFT, and the definition of a springer in my book is something that recoils.

Yeh, i know it's bank holiday, but it will be summer, the traffic will be lighter than a normal sunday, you'll have a day to recover

Stick your name down if you're interested, and I can start working on the boring stuff, which will make the fun stuff easier to sort
Old 30th August 2011, 12:44 PM
Happy, Happy, Happy
Member of: North Oxon FTC
Default Thanks!

Thanks to Rob and everyone involved with the running and organisation, Clive thoroughly enjoyed the day shooting round with Vinny and Colin.

Hopefully more of these will be run in the future (possibly with other club's hosting rounds? North Oxon?)

Clive and Heather
Old 12th September 2011, 07:13 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Hi All,

Well the dust has settled. Excuse the delay in the results etc, but squeezing a wedding in the day after and then a trip abroad was probably not the best planning i've ever done.

First off I'd like to say a big thanks to all those that came along and to those that helped out before and over the weekend. It's a cliche, but it simply could not have been done with out you. So special thanks to Andy Slade and Team Meon (and Roy with his ladder).

Winds were light on the day, but luckily (or not, depending on your point of view), the far end was taking breeze off the valley, which meant the last few lanes which Roy and Mike had played with were as intended . The sun was out and it stayed dry. I sat on the plinking range for most of it trying to get a stable zero out of the springer (a bit of a premonition for the worlds perhaps), but the field which was evenly split between FT and HFT seemed not to have such a problem. The mixture of out to 55 targets and unsupported positionals kept the HFT'ers busy, whilst the mini's and restricted positions of the other targets kept the FT'ers on the edge of their comfort zone. But the general impression was that everyone seemed to enjoy shooting the course with a springer which was the point of the day.

So to the important stuff... top 5 in each class + the raffle winner.

1Clive Turner 37
2Glen Newman 33
3Justin Wood 32
4Steve Privett 31
5Paul James (kneeling) 30

1Steph Kirkwood (with Mike's rifle) 69
2Steve Gillies 66 33
3Jonathan Horwitt 65
4Mike Elliot 61
5Vinnie Blackman 61

Raffle prize: Andrew Slade

I will hand out the prizes when I next see you (club/winter league), except Jonathan's which will be posted.

Lets see if we can find a gap in next year's calendar early, and get some side shoots going... such a lovely ground deserves to be shot as often as possible

Cheers all
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 13th September 2011, 09:24 PM
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers

Hi Rob
Thought I had 31, cant remember
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:31 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Hi Rob
Thought I had 31, cant remember
Correct steve, apologies... cock-up now fixed.

Looking for a date in 2012 hopefully... already looks like a packed calendar...

(prizes on order )
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep