Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Scene > News and Results

News and Results The latest shooting news...

Old 14th March 2011, 10:09 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Default CSFTA Winter League Roundup

CSFTA Winter League Roundup

It's always easier to look back on a day with a smile when you've had a result, but this season seems to have come good in the end, with plenty of smiles on faces all around.

A late start to the season gave everyone a good rest, but it was a -7 degree wake up call at North Oxon (thanks for spotting that Andy) with Glen Newman, Steve Privett and Tim Goodall first out the blocks with 36's. Newbury managed to warm up to somewhere around zero degrees, and Tim Roscoe shredded the grades with a 38 from B. Justin Wood took the honours at Christchurch with a 37, but the battle for the top tightened at the Buccaneers with 38's shared by Tim, Terry Ord, and Dave Godwin. Bisley saw Terry once again on form, tied with someone never to be dismissed, Cliff Church, on 36 on a day where the wind was the true opponent. Ashley Holloway had warmed up by now, and sealed 3rd place overall with a 39 at Carisbrooke, Tim having done just enough (2 targets) to keep Terry's strong return at bay. There are countless other shooting stars in the grades, and it's great to see some new shooters really going at it and getting the results, as well as seeing some old faces return. We even had visitors from abroad, in the shape of the Taffia from Wales, keeping us on our toes.

The showdown was a wake up call for many, those new to the league now relaxed without clocks were thrown into the deep end with a the 1 minute per lane time limit. But it was nice to see that rather sink, everyone decided to swim, and with strength. Highlight of the day for me was seeing Rachael learn very quickly in round 1 and go from lacking the confidence of taking two shots in the time, to clearing lanes sub 50 seconds and being able to handle errors with comfort. Meanwhile I hear Helen was giving good account in her first showdown, despatching her opponent to stay in the competition. Plenty of clears along the way, Bisley offering mild but ambiguous conditions, and the final's courses offering a barrage of closed to maxed positionals and sitters that seemed to sap energy with every lane. James didn't make it easy, but was finally stopped in the showdown after several consecutive wins, so his dad, Mick, felt duty bound to keep the Woodhead name in the trophies and took the plate home instead.

CSFTA tends to have quite a relaxed attitude, we tend to forget the clocks, but we stick them on the trophies. We start late, we don't have massive resources, perfect grounds etc, so have to make do, but somehow it sorts itself out and theres smiles all around, so we tend to forget the bumps and just enjoy the ride.

That's possible in no doubt due to a few stars, that don't shine just because of their shooting, but down to the work they put in. I'm sure I will forget many names, so please don't take offense, but deserving a mention are Lyndeen Calvert for her tireless organisation and attention to details, Andy Slade for being the person who is always found striking courses at everyone's ground when everyone has gone home, no doubt to rush off to see the scores which Alan Holloway has always got up by the time people have got a cuppa in their hands on their own comfy sofas, and Mick Woodhead for being the chairman with the personality to make the region just so damned friendly to all. But really, it wouldn't be the same without everyone doing what they do, so long may it continue.

Thanks for the giggles guys.

CSFTA, we don't do burgers, we do cake
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 14th March 2011, 12:09 PM

You must be tired Rob as we started in North Oxon not Wendover

I would just like to say thanks to all those that held rounds and Helen for starting the cake 'competition' over the Winter. The Carisbrooke club has had a few new members have a go at FT this year and have enjoyed themselves and are lookign forward to next year.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:17 PM
The Chaser!
Member of: Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
Default Thanks

Thanks to all the clubs and event organisers, also to Rob for the shoot reports.

Shame I couldn’t make the showdown through work commitments, well done to all.

EV2 - March X 8x80
EV2 'Rev' off Awesime, (the one he didn't spray black.) - Big Nikko
Old 14th March 2011, 12:41 PM
Member of: NOFTC CRPC

As a first-timer (first full season proper FT!) I very much want to thank all the hosting clubs and especially the participants who always made each event welcoming, challenging and a truly great learning experience. It is a very inclusive body and if anyone out there ever wonders about turning up with all these AA gods about - fear not, give it a go.

I also second the quality of the cakes on offer - some serious AA-grade bakers. Delicious!

Many thanks for a very enjoyable season
Old 14th March 2011, 03:54 PM
Mr. Kipling has nothing on me
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone

I had a wonderful winter league...

It was my first and I enjoyed every second of it. This was not only down to achieveing my best ever score at the first shoot in North Oxon, and then bettering it again on my home ground at the Buccaneers, but I have been - and am still on - a rollercoaster of a learning curve and loving every minute....

Thanks Rob for spending so much time answering my endless stream of questions.... how does this gun work.... how does the pellet fly.... how does the scope work..... above all .... Why..... You are wonderful xx

I am still bowled over by how welcoming everyone is and how freely advice is given. I have made many friends over the winter and have managed to laugh around every course. I am looking forward to meeting more people and am more determind than ever to win myself a trophy next year as I was so close this year...... I have a big shelf at home and it needs filling with trophies......

I will make one promise tho..... Cake competition is on.......

Big thanks to Steve Privett and Mick Winstanley my comrades at the Buccs for your support and encouragement and for putting up with me running around like a mad woman when I get a score I am pleased with!!! I aim to make you proud in the coming year.....

Ahead of me now..... GP's, SWEFTA, Euskadi and the Worlds...... If I come out of those alive and kicking you had better watch out for me in the next winter league...... Bring it on!!!
Miss Helen England
Southampton Buccaneers FTC Treasurer, CSFTA Treasurer, Lucky Shot and Cake Maker!!