Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 28th February 2011, 01:21 PM
Default Skills you never wish to use

Need to share this with my friends on Here so sorry its on airgun chat

One of our Foster placements Taxi's never turned up today so had to take him to school in Bridgwater, Me and Janet my wife decided to come back via the A38 instead of the motorway. In front of us was a Red Rover and we had just overtaken a Artic lorry on a 3 lane section just north of wellington and the Red Rover pulled away from me and we had a space of about 300yard between us, Just over the Devon Somerset border we both said whats that in the road, It turned out to be a young Girl 15-20 years old, She had stepped out into the road and got hit by the Rover, The scene was shocking with car parts and then the steady flow of blood started to run, At this point i was on phone to emergency services and we she was face down and totally unresponsive and not breathing, I was told by the operator to turn her onto her back and straighten airway by arching her head gently back then started compressions,So handed the phone to my wife, we could not get air into her due to severity of injury so its was then 20 minutes of chest compressions until a fast response paramedic arrived , I still had to carry on the compressions whilst they tried to get an airway in. They cut her top clothes away and she had nearly a full amputation of her right arm aswell, Then slowly all the services arrived including the Devon Air ambulance and I could back away and let the professionals take over, I am sat here now at home not knowing if she has survived or passed away and not knowing what to do or say, just feel like crying really being the big softy I am..... Just Hope I have given her a chance thats all.
SWEFTA Club Champions 2006,07,08,09,10
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 28th February 2011, 01:32 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

It's tough mate. Been in the same boat, although it was a motorcyclist and he was breathing, but he was a mess... after they shut the road and worked on him for an hour, they called it a day.
Well done for stepping in. Give yourself some time and rest mate, take the positives out of it. You will probably be a little up and down cos of the shock, but remember you did all you could and that's as much as anyone could ask.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 28th February 2011, 01:39 PM
Self appointed antipimp
Member of: Bisley
Default Time

Hi Chris i know a little about how you are feeling , dont spend to much time on your own , get out shooting with some mates it will take a bit to get over the shock its not something you deal with day in day out..By the sound you did the very best for her, your not a doctor in a A&E with all the machines so what ever you did to keep thing moving would have helped.
Cheers D
Gone racing
Old 28th February 2011, 01:39 PM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Chris - you did what you could and gave her more of a chance at life than she would have had without your help.

Well done for stepping forward and having a go and keeping at it for as long as needed.

Old 28th February 2011, 01:49 PM

It's a good job you were there to give her a fighting chance. We need more people who are willing and able to step in and help in these situations.
Best wishes to you Chris.

Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Old 28th February 2011, 01:54 PM
Member of: Harriers FTC

You should be proud of yourself and what you have done. Regardless of what happens now you gave her a chance, when there wasn't one really, if she survives it will absolutely be because of your actions, I would wish to have been able to do what you did, believe me you're a brave man.
EV2 mk2 with 2009 big Nikko
HW97K with 6-24 Nikko Nighteater
Old 28th February 2011, 02:14 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Cant agree more with the others above, you have done all you could and at least the young girl had a chance. Well done in all respects.
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85
Old 28th February 2011, 02:42 PM
Spring Time
Member of: East Devon FTC

You've done way more than most would be capable of Chris huge credit to you to deal with such a situation at the time, as has been said anything you did will have given her a better chance. Not at all surprised you are in shock try and find something distracting to keep
you occupied, I know I'd be feeling like crying too if I'd been through that.
Old 28th February 2011, 04:11 PM

You should be proud of yourself mate. The fact is if she survives it is because of your actions. I am a trained first aider and now training to be a nurse ( albeit a mental health nurse ) and would still hate to be faced with the situation you were in.
Nobody could have done more than you did so it is now a case of keeping your fingers crossed for her.
Old 28th February 2011, 04:29 PM
Weerach ninja
Member of: Pontefract ARC.

It's lucky that some of us are able to just react the way you did, you don't give it a second thought because you have to get on with what has to be done, it's only later as you have found that it hits home. Keep your loved ones close and don't bottle anything up, if you have to talk about it then talk, if you have to cry then cry.
All the best mate, and be proud of what you have done.
NSRA Club coach
International panel beater extraordinare
NHS pin cushion