Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Scene > News and Results

News and Results The latest shooting news...

Old 2nd February 2011, 11:48 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Thumbs down Orange and T-Mobile bars Shooting Times for under 18's

Orange and T-Mobile bars Shooting Times for under 18's

UK’s biggest mobile network bars under-18s from shooting websites due to “inappropriate content”

A leading internet service provider has told Shooting Times that the magazine’s website is unsuitable for under-18s because it contains information on how to make bombs.

Orange, part of the UK’s biggest mobile phone operator, uses its ‘Orange Safeguard’ system to restrict mobile access to, meaning that readers who wish to view the site on their Orange mobile phone must first prove their age in an Orange shop.

A spokesman for Orange told Shooting Times: “Orange Safeguard is a mobile content filter which covers customer use of the mobile internet, to prevent anyone under the age of 18 from accessing inappropriate content.”

When pressed as to what was ‘inappropriate’ about, the spokesman referred to Orange’s list of subjects unsuitable for children and said that the site fell into a category called ‘bombs’, containing information on how to ‘prepare, make, build and use explosives and explosive devices.’

Rival mobile operator T-Mobile also considers as unsuitable for under-18s. A spokesman said: “The content [of] was blocked because of the nature of the magazine. There are some images linked to shooting and so it’s deemed that people have to confirm their age before they’re able to view it.”

Barnaby Dracup, Shooting Times’ Online Editor, commented: “Saying that shooting is inappropriate content for minors is greatly discriminatory, and any link to bombs and bomb-making, clearly absurd. Obviously these online content filters are there to provide a service, but can often be no more than a sledgehammer to crack a nut in their application and function.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 2nd February 2011, 12:36 PM
Member of: Harriers

Unsense indeed, but it's easy to get rid of it:
If you're over 18 then go to a T shop and ask them to remove the 'content lock'
If you're under 18 then use a transparent proxy e.g.
The Updated BFTA ManualsMaestro Design FT Accessories
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:39 PM
Member of: Chesterfield HFT Club

Just a bit of info on Orange and T mobile are the same company now so I'm lead to believe
Old 4th February 2011, 08:35 AM
I Like BIG Hats!
Member of: Far Coley FTC

I have just come from a country where this sort of thing goes on! This is one of the reasons why the people hit Tihrir Square in their hundreds of thousands and one of the govts responses was to cut the mobile network and Internet. Orange and T Mobile need to learn that this type of censorship is unacceptable and exactly the sort of behaviour the likes of Mr Mubarak and his sort indulge in, as for Oranges spokesman what a ludicrous and ill informed answer. We as customers can threaten to potentially cancel contracts and what I would like to ask is what is BASC doing about this also?
AirArms RN10/EV2 Stock-2007 Big nikko FT Kit
AirArms NJR100 Hawke Airmax SR6 HFT/SFT Kit
Feinwerkbau 600 10 metre
HW77K-zeiler 6-24x44 Work in progress
Webley Vulcan .22 Lovely old relic
Old 4th February 2011, 01:02 PM

I was the same on my network (vodafone) I am 29 and I tried to get onto stb and other various shooting sites and I was not allowed on due to inaproriate content? I had to call up vodafone and sit through a 25 minute fone call before they would lift these restrictions! So I'm guessing if I was under 18 the bar would remain inplace with vodafone as well!!
Old 7th February 2011, 01:01 PM
Default Orange and T MOB

Orange and T Mobile are the same company thats why they have taken the same stance I guess.