Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 22nd January 2011, 06:59 PM

Default 520 budget - what to buy?

Hi folks

Got myself set up for FT but now need to get my 13 year old a suitable set up.

He sold his s410 today so has about 525 all in to get himself another rifle and scope.

AA400 seems the obvious choice and that would leave a decent sum for a second hand scope like a targetmaster?? Or do we try to pick up a MPR and go for a cheaper scope.

I guess the question is..... if you were limited to a budget of 525 to get as good a FT set up as you can, what would you choose?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 22nd January 2011, 07:06 PM

Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default What

An S 400 Classic def secondhand .if funds are limited then maybe a zos . does the job . or how about a SightMark scope off E-bay . 10 to 40 by 56 . illum mil dot ret . lockable turrets . 225 delivered from the states ??? HOLLY PS to include Sun Shade and Mounts .
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly View Post
An S 400 Classic def secondhand .if funds are limited then maybe a zos . does the job . or how about a SightMark scope off E-bay . 10 to 40 by 56 . illum mil dot ret . lockable turrets . 225 delivered from the states ??? HOLLY PS to include Sun Shade and Mounts .

Don't the ZOS scopes get real bad reports for falling to bits and milky optics? Never heard of Sightmark....... must go and google it
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:16 PM

s/h s400 or s200

s/h falcon t35
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:24 PM
I Like BIG Hats!

Member of: Far Coley FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne509 View Post
Hi folks

Got myself set up for FT but now need to get my 13 year old a suitable set up.

He sold his s410 today so has about 525 all in to get himself another rifle and scope.

AA400 seems the obvious choice and that would leave a decent sum for a second hand scope like a targetmaster?? Or do we try to pick up a MPR and go for a cheaper scope.

I guess the question is..... if you were limited to a budget of 525 to get as good a FT set up as you can, what would you choose?
Would certainly go for the S400, reliable and accurate, as for the MPR basicly a S400 in a target stock, that can be possibly looked at later. Hopefully that should leave 250-300 for scope, mounts, a seat and riflecase. Scopewise I would look at Hawke Sidewinder or Nikko Targetmaster, ideally up to 32mag. That way you can buy new and get a good few years out of them without taking the risks the second hand market sometimes poses. Also a top tip, a GOOD set of mounts!
HW77K-zeiler 6-24x44 Work in progress
Webley Vulcan .22 Lovely old relic
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79 View Post
s/h s400 or s200

s/h falcon t35
Dunno how he would get on with such a big fixed mag as he is used to shooting with a 6 - 24. I suppose he could get used to it though.
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:26 PM
I Like BIG Hats!

Member of: Far Coley FTC

Quote:
Don't the ZOS scopes get real bad reports for falling to bits and milky optics? Never heard of Sightmark....... must go and google it
Had a Zos a couple of years ago, yes it is milky but it rangefinds ok, the turrets click nicely and mine certainly hasnt fell to bits. Dont think however it would be a good policy to put one on a springer!
HW77K-zeiler 6-24x44 Work in progress
Webley Vulcan .22 Lovely old relic
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbe View Post
Would certainly go for the S400, reliable and accurate, as for the MPR basicly a S400 in a target stock, that can be possibly looked at later. Hopefully that should leave 250-300 for scope, mounts, a seat and riflecase. Scopewise I would look at Hawke Sidewinder or Nikko Targetmaster, ideally up to 32mag. That way you can buy new and get a good few years out of them without taking the risks the second hand market sometimes poses. Also a top tip, a GOOD set of mounts!

Case problem hopefully sorted with a couple of the FT Monki Soft cases in the pipeline.
Have a few sets of sportsmatch mounts here so hopefully have something suitable. I will treat him to a cushion so really just the rifle and scope to think about.

Nikko targetmaster was what i had in mind and a second hand 400. Might try to pick up a 400 with a hamster already fitted and if he really gets into it, look for a better stock at a later date.

Seems like this is the way to go.

Cheers guys

Last edited by wayne509; 22nd January 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 22nd January 2011, 07:52 PM

Member of: Harriers FTC

Quote:
Case problem hopefully sorted with a couple of the FT Monki Soft cases in the pipeline.
Have a few sets of sportsmatch mounts here so hopefully have something suitable. I will treat him to a cushion so really just the rifle and scope to think about.

Nikko targetmaster was what i had in mind and a second hand 400. Might try to pick up a 400 with a hamster already fitted and if he really gets into it, look for a better stock at a later date.

Seems like this is the way to go.
get a classic rather than the carbine, more shots (70 good ones) with a classic, I agree with willbe about scopes, 32 mag would be OK. I had a big zos on a 400 classic, 2 main problems, 1) they are heavy and makes the gun difficult to hold still, 2) I became convinced that the movement of the reticle when dialling was inconsistant. This meant that when you moved the turret from say a 30 yd target to a 45 yd one, and then back to 30 yds, the cross hairs didn't end up in the same place they start from! Difficult to prove, but that was what I felt, changing to a Nikko impoved my scores immediately
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks for your input Phil. A classic action is what we had in mind