Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 15th December 2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
From the Skan website:"
The SKAN PRO1 Series 3 is the very latest in CHRONO technology designed to give the user a professional and reliable unit capable of accurate velocity measurement Disagree here pretty basic 4mhz clock speed

Designed especially for air weapons, each CHRONO is individually calibrated to a master CHRONO with ISO 9001/9003 certification.

The certification of the SKAN master CHRONO was carried out by the HOME OFFICE FORENSIC SCIENCE LABORATORY with calibration traceable to N.P.L. (National Police Laboratory)
What every one has failed to realise is this is in a controlled environment, manufacturers spend thousands in doing so.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:24 PM

Wouldnt trust Chairgun as far as i could throw it either.
Have done such tests at work and its a lot more than 20mm less deflection. in fact total deflection is nearer the 20mm.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:22 PM

I read this post, maybe I did not understand everything, but it is an issue that has been much discussed in Italy too.

Now we have a 2.5% tolerance on speed, which is the measured value.

For those with a scientific approach is easy to see that tolerance is the only sustainable and scientifically acceptable method to account for errors and inaccuracies inherent in any measurement, and for this reason it is adopted.

In our case, the tolerance is also used to offset any current problems or situations that might generate contestations difficult to manage in real time, going so far as to distort the outcome of the race.

No contestation is possible if you exceed the tolerance.

What has not been easy was to make it understand to everyone

Even in Italy as in Hungary the max speed for the JSB Exact 0.547 g. including the tolerance limit is 250 m/s.

Over this limit the shooter take part at contest, but do not enter in the result.

Sorry for my google-english
Old 15th December 2010, 10:27 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by rich View Post
Chairgun thinks otherwise. About 7.5 inches drop at full chat compared to a little over 10 inches, that's comparing 12 fpe with 8.4 grain against 20 fpe with 10.5.

Regardless, a bonus point idea would penalise the high power guys, and it would be a challenge to see how little power you could actually employ and still achieve good scores.
had 1/2 reasonable ones running at 10.5 ft-lb with mozzies for a season... qualified anyway. The 6ft-lb guys in hungary were dropping them as well.

where i think speed makes a bigger difference is on reducers out to 35, rarely have to give outside for wind... normally give them too much if i do anyway. It's also rare to have the wind as predicted... chairgun says 6" for 10mph side on at 55... been in stronger winds and still not given that, but then who shoots on a rising breeze?

dont think it makes that much difference as you say, but in the heads of someone that's being beaten by someone perceived as cheating i think it would
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 16th December 2010, 07:09 AM
Member of: purley chase ftc

do any of u shoot fac 177 i do i can tell u running at 840fps does not affect the bullet drop and it still takes the same wind and still the same down to 790 fps on paper with 7.9g,its only when you get into high 13 foot the thing gets very flat and dont take much wind,dont look at chairman its bo##ocks,do it field so cheating cant come into with 10 or 15 fps etc,if your over but the comps says you should be no higher than 821fps so you should set your gun up to 805/810fps
cr 97 in jim vickers ft stock bsa big 60 scope, and silly about of hunting guns
Old 10th January 2011, 07:34 PM
Old Git.
Member of: Redfearns FTC. Darlington RA.

Perhaps the top 3 placed shooters have their airguns checked ?
Old 10th January 2011, 07:48 PM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

I would hazard an informed guess that the top 10 at any GP would be well below the limit on any chrono

Most top/experienced/sensible shooters set their rifle up within the boundaries that even a shift in temp and/or dodgy chrono reading of 25ft/sec would still keep them legal i.e. 775ft/sec with 8.4grn.
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!