Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 19th April 2009, 07:13 PM

I get a couple of hours practice during the week ,if im lucky, on an indoor range that usually consists of a zero check and a mix of positional shots out to 35yds on targets between 8 and 40mm. Then on a weekend I try and shoot a comp For me it seems if i practice too much my performance doesnt get any better than if i just do a couple of hours a week. So far it seems to be working for me

Old 19th April 2009, 07:59 PM
Independent FT Pumper
Member of: EFTA England

Shoot at Redfearns once a week plus comps, have six knockover resetable targets in garden out to 20 yards all with 10mm kills practice these everyday weather permitting.
Practice standers all the time.
Sometimes i think it's down too planning & preperation not practice with me,recently bought a MEC free position hook,got some knobs made up for adjustment ,i have now spent time marking the inside of the hook on the lateral plate for sitting ,kneeling & standers & i adjust for each specific shot money well spent.
Brought my confidence back up so not all down to practice ( or may be it is ) for me just needed to fall back in love with my rig !

Zenith EV2 No1 + Leup Comp x 40
CEO Tool's Tours plc
Twitter @Toolzenith
Old 19th April 2009, 08:16 PM

In the late spring/ Summer months when it stays light untill late,I will have more practice, weather permittting,I'm normally out shooting Mondays (my day off) mostly hunting rather than hft practice.
Old 20th April 2009, 08:04 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

I was probably a little rusty yesterday... there were 2-3 shots that I let go without due diligence and got spanked for it. But then I cleared my positionals for the first time in a GP (and only the 2nd time ever on a national course)... so bitter/sweet. For me it has to be concentration on the shot, in competition, that I need to work on.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 20th April 2009, 12:45 PM
Two Tins

For the last few months I have been doing about an hour a night with both paper and knockdowns.

Lucky enough I have a 25yd walled garden which is relatively wind free.

Personally, if I don't practice, I score badly. Practice makes perfect.

Old 25th April 2009, 08:50 PM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default The Best ?

Depends what you want . if you want to be avearge . just do what you can , simple BUT if you want to take on the best never mind beat em .then that is a different matter altogether .ever saturday every sunday . all day on a good course . does not matter if it is the same course . but obviously a change by going to another club would be good . plus at least once in the week . along with dry firing the rifle in your spare room after work . ( i used to take aim out the back window of my house till some old bird thought i was spying on her ) down the club you should concentrate on your positionals once you have got to a decent standard cos that is what will bring you the biggest benifit in the long run . train hard shoot easy should be your motto .never take an easy shot in trainning . push all the time . if i.m the only one at the club i will shoot across lanes to targets a few along to narrow the angle of the kill zones . all ways start at the windy end of the course . if you miss a few that will strengthen your resolve to do better and not drop any more , if you don't drop any in the windy part . then you have got to try hard to keep it together till the end of the course to get a "clear round" . train till you are sick of it an then do some more . never give up on a stander till you have got it . if you want to win the worlds you are gonna have to think of taking the week off before it to practice all week . like i say . what do you want ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "