Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 3rd July 2010, 06:30 AM
Default Newbie seeking advice

Hi all
I am a newbie from kent
I have been shooting knockdowns now for nearly a year at my local club
i wuld like your collective advice or views.
I have a HW100 and cannot get on with it when target shooting, i cannot find a comfortable shooting position and want to out it.
i have about 1000 plus HW to spend on a replacement and am looking for a ft rifle 12ftlbs
any thoughts as which rifle to go for and what sort of prices i can expect to pay for secondhand or new
hope this makes sense and thanks for looking
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 3rd July 2010, 06:42 AM
Ich dien
Member of: Quarry Hunters

Everybody will have their favorites and will try to convince you thats what you need to buy, but as always the best way is try before you buy, either go to some clubs or even a gamefair and give a few a go.

Old 3rd July 2010, 06:58 AM
Getting dusty

Like Pete says, ignore the evabgelists of one brand and get to a club or a meet to try as many different set ups as you can. There's an FT GP in Devon soon if I remember correctly and the Maldon double header for UKAHFT.

The other option if you're happy with the 100 is to get a custom stock made so you can get comfortable with it.

Best advice is don't rush into anything, if you can get to one of the above meets, you'll have lots of people to ask advice of, pretty much anyone will let you have a few shots on the plinking range whilst boring you to death about their setup! Ask on here and try different peoples setups of the same guns.
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:00 AM

i know people views because of what they shoot
thats what i am after
i am leaning towards a steyr or ev2
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:13 AM

Gary, with the money you've got to spend, I'd say you're not particularly constrained by budget.

So given that, it really is hard to give useful advice. Most people will have only shot say two or three rifles on your potential list. The people probably most qualified to give advice, Pete and Ryan (who will have tried most of the rifles out there) are reluctant to push you in one direction or other and that's wise advice.

You say you don't get on with the HW100. Many people will rave over the HW and say what a brilliant rifle it is. Not for you though. So you see the problem. Fit is a really important factor.

Steyr make brilliant rifles and their UKAHFT team are doing well. The EV2 is very popular in FT too. Thing is, you might find that either one of the rifles just doesn't quite fit with you.

If you can arrange to visit MAD in Essex, then I'm pretty sure you'll have the opportunity to try out a few of the rifles you're interested in and more. It really is only after having shot a rifle yourself that you'll know what suits.