Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 23rd June 2010, 09:40 PM
Default Schmidt & Bender 12,5-50 Field Target "help"

Good morning everyone, my name is Achille and I am a member of the Italian Federation of Field Target!

I apologize in advance for the bad English, I hope to be understood better.
I am a happy owner of S&B FT 12.5-50x60 and like me other members of the federation faced the purchase with the hope of having something more than the famous diamond nikko 10-50. The S&B is a brightness and superb mechanism seems very sturdy and well made, the only proplem that was found and the estimated distances. Variations in external temperature varies the position of the parallax reference on the wheel, in addition we noticed that becomes very hard to estimate between 45 and 50m in strong light conditions. I wonder if anyone has had same problem and if you like remedied.
Thanks in advance e. .. if you will, see you at the World Championships in Hungary!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 24th June 2010, 09:45 AM
Member of: - Collectors Club -

...go to 'Equipment Reviews'

S&B problem is discussed -

Old 24th June 2010, 11:00 AM
Member of: Quarry Rifles

He has all the answers on the bbs

Old 24th June 2010, 03:12 PM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

Simple remedy, get rid of it
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 24th June 2010, 03:55 PM
Pete Dutton

Originally Posted by L-S-R View Post
You are a *****....but I like it
Old 24th June 2010, 03:56 PM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Originally Posted by L-S-R View Post
or find a gun that shoots higher in heat - it could work in harmony with the scope
Old 24th June 2010, 06:18 PM
Default S&b ft

After 2009 november produced models are no longer move in temperature difference.
I bought two, and both are perfect. Send it back to the service station.
Old 24th June 2010, 07:41 PM

I have tryed to hold my views but stuff it i am very angery about this and i still have not got my refund from the sportsman after nearly 4 weeks,

Well my Jan 2010 model moved 7 yrds when temp hit 24 deg ,both mine and Garys did the same as he has said in other post,Its now back at **** and bendy for evaluation but to be honest they can keep it, for a 2000 scope i think its disgusting and S & B customer service and feedback is rubbish, For the guys that tested it and gave rave reviews on the net and in the mags have lost alot of respect from me, no wonder one of then no longer shoots FT. and its a shame that S & B did not listen to those that know about scopes and told them of the problems 2 years ago,I assumed with the rest that brought the scope that the production scope would have been sorted. How wrong were we...!!!!!!! Like gary said freebies can cloud judgement.

If your thinking of buying one Don' your money. or buy a march....
SWEFTA Club Champions 2006,07,08,09,10

Last edited by ChrisJ; 24th June 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:30 PM

Cancelled mineShame really because the glass and build quality plus the fact you didn't need a 50ft adapter was second to none IMHO.
Old 25th June 2010, 07:24 AM
Member of: Harriers

I've been using and testing S&Bs since the spring of 2008. My first scope was a prototype (but was sold to me as a first production model...). Parallaxing was nearly linear, every metre was about 7-8 mm on the wheel between 10 and 50 metres. The rangefinding was highly sensitive to temperature, to magnification and altitude as well. I could manage it somehow and weren't a disadvantage on the competitions, but I enjoyed its advantages like the wide FOV, the precise mechanism, and the very clear image.

In 2009. I tested one of the first production models. Parallaxing was squeezed in the larger distances but sensitivity to temps was exactly the same and had a definitely blurred image so it was sent back to the factory by its owner.

In February 2010. the factory replaced my prototype scope with a new production model, where the rangefinding isn't sensitive to magnification any more, but as with all S&Bs the good old temp shift stayed the same. Parallaxing: the markings on the wheel get narrow up to 25 metres, but after that the scale is nearly linear.

It's a shame from a manufacturer like the S&B... The bigger shame is that I've been waiting for an answer to my letter for months now, but all in all, if you know the scope's faults, for they are predictable and can be reproduced again and again, you can get to know your scope and you can get on with it.

I was thinking of buying a March scope, but my latest news is that its temp shift is rather sly - it rangefinds consistently only up to a limit. Then suddenly it jumps and rangefinds differently. For more information please ask Doc, my Hungarian colleague, he can be found on the STB forum as well.
The Updated BFTA Manuals Maestro Design FT Accessories