Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > WHFTA Official forum

WHFTA Official forum World Hunter Field Target Association

Old 6th April 2010, 06:44 PM
Lee Marvin & the Shadows
Default Why the M25 ???????

The 2 Petes gave me the job of fronting the Lakes course and setting the targets ,a great honor not just for my-self but for the club which I belong to .
So as alot of you know Cleve Bull and myself put out all the courses for MAD ,[only we cant get a job so we have more time than any-one else],so when we were asked we rang Ian Hartford and asked if we could recky the grounds for the Worlds and we made our visit in late NOVEMBER last year ,we took photo;s took measurements ,drawings and spent about 6 hours on site [but looked after by the house staff with plenty of tea as it was snowing all day ]
I helped with the setting up of the 2009 Lakes course but we wanted it to be in 2010 as good as the land would allow us to get the course and with planning I hope we did .
On getting back and googleing and our drawing etc etc etc we came up with something about what we shot on Sun/Mon but what we had to do was fill up that empty piece of land which was open and boring because by using the woods this year at the end on the right [pegs 13 to 24 ]for safety reasons we could;nt use the boat house area which was in use last year .
So what were we to do ,I do a bit of driving and one day I was sitting in traffic on the M25 and looking out of the window there was signs and arrows everywhere you looked and that was it ,just like that
I rang Cleve and said I;ve got it ,we are doing the theme of the M25.
So the work began in ernest, wood ,paint,screws,nails and alot of time and effort anything that you get when there is roadworks we tried to implement into our theme .
My thanks go to Lloyd Davies for the flash workings in the Gatso[hes a engineer dont you know ]the fish was supplied by Shepreth and we thank you.
So for the moaning people please think before you put pen to paper ,some-one is doing something to try and give you a good day out ,with no payment at all,we do it because we want to do it and yes I like that pat on the back or listern to that [Which Basssstard put that course out ]its that buss I get out of the sport and knocking over a few targets is way down the list of my priorities

So I;ve read what you thought about the M25 and I thank you [sorry Woki]
Ian and i;m sure Cleve Bull
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 6th April 2010, 07:01 PM

No worries Ian, I,l get over it in the next 12 months....................
Fort air rifle club.
Remember....It,s nice to be nice..
Old 6th April 2010, 07:08 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity
Member of: MEMBER OF M.A.D

I thought it was the mutts nuts,

A few people said to me about the Dartford tunne,l that they thought it was unfair, I asked why and they told me that the string went through the right hand tunnel and that is where they shot.

I asked "How did you know that the target was in the up position when you took the shot, if you say, you could not see it then you should not have taken the shot and called a marshal?"

I personally would never shoot at a target i could not see because how would I know if I had killed it?.

You did a fantastic job and I hope the theme for next year will be just as good.

Somehow I made TEAM ENGLAND 2012 and 2013

Illiterate writer for AirGunner

The real Kung Foo Panda.
Old 6th April 2010, 07:19 PM
Member of: The Oaks & Horsham hawks

You could tell a lot of time & thought went into the M25 targets, but I don't think anyone would have guessed you put that much time & effort into it Ian & Cleve (& anyone else that helped), good on you, you are what keeps HFT looking fresh & interesting. As Gary said, you don't shoot what you can't see, if you took the time to take a look you could clearly see the target in the left tunnel.

Many thanks

ps that fooking traffic light was bastid heavy to carry back to the signing in area
In life you should not persue goals that are easily achieved, develop an instinct for what can be only just achieved through your greatest efforts.
Old 6th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Getting dusty

Ian, I loved the target placements and all the effort you both put into every course you build, but I don't think it needed all the theatrics to showcase your talents. It's the World championships that makes it interesting enough. To me it's a showcase for the sport so if someone walks past and thinks that looks like fun I'll go and get along to a club or maybe buy a couple of targets to use in their garden. My mate from work was well confused by it all but at least I can explain it to him now.

It certainly was a ***** of a course which I enjoyed shooting and I'm glad I refreshed my memory on what distances smaller kills could go!
Old 6th April 2010, 08:11 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

I'm still trying to work out how anyone can come off there just 3 down...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 6th April 2010, 08:46 PM
Sparky's Bodyguard

Originally Posted by Robf View Post
I'm still trying to work out how anyone can come off there just 3 down...
HFT not FT

Ian the Gatso was great, as usual I got flashed but this time I did'nt swear The spectators I saw over there were well impressed. Wonder how many claimed a 1 for hitting what they thought was a target in the right hand tunnel though As for that frickin wind, did you borrow Sparky's bloody goat mask
Ostler EV2/Leupold MK4
Coming out of retirement.......Eventually
Old 6th April 2010, 09:17 PM
Member of: Leicester & District Small-Bore rifle and Pistol Club

I think the course setters did a great job. What I would like to know though, is how long did it take you to train that bloody Canadian Goose to swim past the Dartford Tunnel just as I was about to squeeze my trigger I had to wait for his arse to get clear before I dropped the target

I didn't score very highly only managing 2 44's but I enjoyed the courses very much indeed. So well done and thanks for your efforts

Old 6th April 2010, 09:27 PM

Chris my pants looked like sparky's goat mask or even an Egyptian death mask after that camera went off on the M25 section. Just finished chipping them off now.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:30 PM

I thought the 'dump' style shoots were a breath of fresh air, i can only imagine that any complaints recieved were by shooters who possibly lay down and assumed! Well we all know where assumption gets us in life

Well done for making me and i 'assume' a few other shooters smile.

Last edited by Kenny-W; 7th April 2010 at 11:54 AM.