Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th October 2016, 09:29 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC200 View Post
I dont agree with you there. Part of my testing was comparing out of the tin compared to washed and lubed. W&L definitely improved groupings in the three rifles used. I doubt it will make any difference to a good batch but I believe it can improve an average batch.
Every batch I have tested in both my pcps have halved if lubed properly so I, m happy about that so I agree mate , never really made any velocity difference though which suprised me

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 18th October 2016, 10:16 PM

Member of: Kingsley
Default Very little difference until full range

I have found very little difference between AA, JSB and Daystate Sovereign until you get to fourty yards or more. Then I have found that Sovereign seem to be the best all round pellet for tight grouping,

AA were next but I found that strangely every now and then (usually between about 15 - 30 pellets), I would get a flyer, even after weighing them, so I have no idea what is going on there.

All JSB great up to 30 - 35 yards then depends on the batch.

So in conclusion I have spent the last few months buying as many sovereigns as I can but have no idea why they were not popular and production stopped?
Old 18th October 2016, 10:16 PM
itchy trigger finger

Member of: springfield and mad

how do you lube Vinny?
Old 18th October 2016, 10:19 PM

Member of: Kingsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugg View Post
how do you lube Vinny?
Throw him in a barrel of grease ?
Old 18th October 2016, 10:34 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugg View Post
how do you lube Vinny?
kind hope thats a serious question espcially after your recent camping expo
soak in white spirit for 48hrs which seems to turn yellowish
draind andclean in washing up liquid with load of boiling water
Carefully empty on a porcelain type plate in th oven at 150 ish , move about occaisionally, back in a fine plastic sieve ,and gentle roll over the plate
put in a small round tupperware pot with 4 drops of fp10 per 1000 pellets ON THE LID ONLY while still hot and gently roll around for a minute or so , I think the hot pellets seem to make the oil disperes easier and more evenly , never seem to dull down after this as well
start putting the oil directly on the pellets you can just start all over again
btw all the debris in the spirit pot is not in your mind , whether it works for other people I dont know , also debris also gets loosend up in the warming process, you can see it on the plate

hope this was the answer you were looking for

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?

Last edited by vinny; 18th October 2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 18th October 2016, 10:48 PM
Bob Evans

Member of: ByleyFTC

when i had my ftp done , i was told by that particular person that if i want consistent chrono readings then all the work is done behind the scenes,

i,ll leave you to guess what i,m talking about but all i will say is try weighing a tin of pellets and tell me they are all the same

i only test my pellets at distance because some will group to 35yrds then open up at further distances, basically try anything that gives you confidence, but i do agree,find a batch that shoots well then stick with them even if you do add your personal touch, with regards using straight from the tin thats a load of old tosh due to the weights being all over the place,
Old 19th October 2016, 09:50 AM
Team Canada - Spring Team

Member of: CAFTA

The last sleeve of JSB 4.53's I bought were garbage in my TX/EV2, which used to shoot them better than anything else by far...

Many people in my area have stopped using JSB's for FT and there seems to be a consensus that their quality has slipped within the last year or more. How true is it? No idea, but I am going off personal experience in my guns and nothing more so YMMV

That being said; I have switched over to AA's for my EV2, PS, TX and PT FT, by the sounds of it there are a few in this boat. I did some testing with them, found them to be on par with "old JSB's", got all the batch info off of them and ordered a full case. My girlfriend now thinks I've successfully gone off the deep end; she watched me bringing the case in and said "what is that? and why is it so heavy?" I replied "its just some pellets hun...", then she says "how many pellets do you really need?"...I smiled and said "Well, I've got 25,000 in this box so I should be alright for the week..." = daggers...

Another option that may be worth investigating are the Cometa/JSB pellets, I know some shooters have been using these with great results...
Old 19th October 2016, 09:44 PM
Team AirArms

Member of: Tawd Vale FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
when i had my ftp done , i was told by that particular person that if i want consistent chrono readings then all the work is done behind the scenes,

i,ll leave you to guess what i,m talking about but all i will say is try weighing a tin of pellets and tell me they are all the same

i only test my pellets at distance because some will group to 35yrds then open up at further distances, basically try anything that gives you confidence, but i do agree,find a batch that shoots well then stick with them even if you do add your personal touch, with regards using straight from the tin thats a load of old tosh due to the weights being all over the place,
Hi Bob,
Just highjacking your post a little ( which i agree with totally 😎 ).
A "Top Shot", who says that "weighing pellets", is a waste of time and doesn't do it,..... and only ever shoots pellets out of the tin is...........lying.....the reason?......, why give the opposition usefull information that could come back to bite them in the ***.

I weigh pellets when i have the time, and sometimes im just lazy and cant be bothered, but weighing pellets, will reduce flyers and group sizes with good FITTING pellets.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:17 PM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

I have both done a fair bit of testing of AA and JSB batches, and have both done some fairly accurate measuring of head sizes, as I know Brian Samson has as well.

Basically I have not found any real difference in diameter sizing of any tins, and the 4.51 and 4.52 label bit is just a number in my opinion. I now ignore the size completely and just go on die number and batch.

Some JSB are long deep skirts and some short, and the same with AA pellets.They all vary from batch to batch.

Basically as a few others have said,shoot any batch you can and find that is a good one for your gun, but I wouldnt discount any pellets because they are 4.51 and your gun seems to prefer another batch that is 4.52 for example. I also have good and very good batches in both AA and JSB exacts so I think agin it is that particular batch with that die. Dont forget the die will be changed occasionally, so die 1 for instance from may 2016 might not be the same die 1 a week later.

Generally speaking a good batch should shoot well in most guns(but not all) Steyrs are an odd ball with some barrels for sure, although mine luckily shoots pellets that also suit any of my Air arms guns.

I think you only need to weigh if the batch you use varies a lot in the tin, otherwise dont bother unless you really want to.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 19th October 2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:26 PM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Hi Bob,
Just highjacking your post a little ( which i agree with totally 😎 ).
A "Top Shot", who says that "weighing pellets", is a waste of time and doesn't do it,..... and only ever shoots pellets out of the tin is...........lying.....the reason?......, why give the opposition usefull information that could come back to bite them in the ***.

I weigh pellets when i have the time, and sometimes im just lazy and cant be bothered, but weighing pellets, will reduce flyers and group sizes with good FITTING pellets.

It depends how consistent the weights are of any particular batch. Some batches hardly vary, others do a lot.

Whatever you say it will mess other shooters head up!!