Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th October 2016, 06:47 PM

Member of: Cromer ARC
Default JSB vs JSB

Hello,

Most FT & HFT shooters now tend to use JSB Exacts, Express, Daystate, Air Arms etc and the understanding is they all come from the same factory.

I find them all okay but have had in the past and present of what i can only describe as a "bad batch" of JSB Exacts that just seem to shoot everywhere and anywhere. Although i never seem to have the same problem with Air Arms Diabolo Field 4.51's & 2's. Weighing and sizing the pellets they do not seem to show a difference at all,

Could this be down the Barrel preference or just a bad die or batch number? And yes there is a nut behind the butt, but even this nut notices the grouping size difference.

Do other FT & HFT shooters find a similar, or even opposite effect of this? Or are my Barrels just getting fussy..??
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th October 2016, 06:49 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Had a dicky batch of JSB's before, but not shot enough AA to comment on them.
Old 18th October 2016, 07:12 PM
Bob Evans

Member of: ByleyFTC

now that is strange, because if i use air arms through my rifles they group like a shotgun, or it may just be me
Old 18th October 2016, 07:41 PM

I'm pleased you have said that EVO, perhaps it's just what pellet suits the Rifle/Barrel.

Comparing the JSB and Air Arms the only difference i notice is the Air Arms are slightly longer. But both batches look nice and clean in the tin and previously i haven't found any difference between any of the JSB Range of pellets. Or maybe it is just "that" bad batch of pellets
Old 18th October 2016, 07:54 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D
Default probaby the same in all makes

I gave up using aa when I ended up throwing away about two thirds of most individual tins I bought , I had sooo many which could only be described as "not quite all there",
The easiest way I found was to use intershoot , find a batch that worked and buy the lot,
Loads of people now swear by aa, so it all goes round , without being a total pellet bore if you aint done indoor batch testing you are missing something (no pun intended )
then when you think youve got the holy grail then check them in the wind , thankfully mine were ok indoors and outdoors , dont forget wash bake and various lubes, weighing them ................
sorry now boring you all , I, m off to bed )

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 18th October 2016, 08:19 PM

Member of: Iceni Marksmen

I've recently done a lot of indoors 50yd pellet testing with 4 rifles (Daystate mk3, EV2, AR20,LG120) and various batches of JSB Exacts, AA Fields and for comedy purposes RWS Superfields (amazingly awful in everything) and there is without a doubt a drop in performance on certain batches depending on the rifle.
Old 18th October 2016, 08:37 PM

Member of: Broadland ARC
Default As fields

I've been using as fields 4.52 in my Steyr and it seems to love them. I still use jsb's in my Ripley and tx200 as the batch I have worked well. The main thing I've noticed between the two is I find a lot less damaged pellets in the aa fields than the jsb's.
Cheers
Dave
Old 18th October 2016, 08:43 PM

Member of: Dunfermline
Default Jsb

Hi Nathan, me and nick visted swillingons a few weeks ago and I bought 4 tins of pellets one from each batch , I tested them at my work I have 55 yards controlled conditions and there was two tins that were crap and the others I tested till I found the best and I bough 30 tins , I shoot them straight out the tin and to be hounest the lubing and washing kissing and caressing is a load of dung , Conner mcflynn will tell you the same its all in people's head .
Regards Dave
Old 18th October 2016, 09:14 PM

Member of: Iceni Marksmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNO DAVE View Post
the lubing and washing kissing and caressing is a load of dung
I dont agree with you there. Part of my testing was comparing out of the tin compared to washed and lubed. W&L definitely improved groupings in the three rifles used. I doubt it will make any difference to a good batch but I believe it can improve an average batch.
Old 18th October 2016, 09:24 PM

So there are Air Arms Pellet shooters out there Eggie I do find them much better quality and consistency wise between batches. Although the consensus tends to be JSB Exact 4.52's and i've had some demon JSB's lately, just not these ones.

Interesting for other 55yd indoor range shooters noticing the difference between the batches of pellets, and washing/lubing, which i think says something about the manufacturing quality and die usage. I think your right though Dyno Dave find a good batch and buy the lot!