Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 16th October 2016, 07:05 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
now that is one rough looking reg, can I as what bar you set your huma reg too ??
Nick M recommended 88 Bar to me, fortunately that's what the HUMA reg was preset to when it arrived.
Old 16th October 2016, 10:09 AM
Bob Evans

Member of: ByleyFTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa View Post
Bob. Set @ 100bar by xtx
cheers bud many thanks,

Brian, that was the reason I asked the question because most people I have asked have set their regs around the 90 Bar, would love to know the reason why

judging by the state of the regulators I,ve seen its no wonder the standard ftp was having problems at first

ps,,, made up with the windicator mate, its superb and looks like its an original part of the rifle
Old 17th October 2016, 10:22 AM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
cheers bud many thanks,

Brian, that was the reason I asked the question because most people I have asked have set their regs around the 90 Bar, would love to know the reason why

judging by the state of the regulators I,ve seen its no wonder the standard ftp was having problems at first

ps,,, made up with the windicator mate, its superb and looks like its an original part of the rifle
About 88 Bar is what Nick recommends for both the FTP and EV2 - dunno why, but I trust his judgement.
Old 17th October 2016, 01:28 PM

Member of: Dunfermline
Default ftp

I have just sold my FTP becase I was struggling with the weight as I have a s/bender on it so rather than get a lighter scope I bought a lighter gun as for the FTP it was a mega gun , and after the murff had played with it I could not believe the transformation as most boys that have shot mine will tell you , he has perfected the reg ,132 shots with 200 bar fill and 86bar reg pressure , if you want your FTP to be right there is only one man to go to .
regards Dave
Old 17th October 2016, 04:47 PM
Ewan

Member of: Iden Ferns

One thing you should watch out for though is if you use the Hamster extension rods.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but i'll explain.

When I bought my extension rods from Bonds Airgun Spares I had to trim them down as I shoot HFT, having made centre to barrel from bottom of hamster was in line with HFT rules I did get some comments at my last comp, I even offered for it to be measured but I was told 'na don't worry', anyway as soon as I got home I re measured them & yes they were too long, by 1mm, very sorry about this btw.

I have now removed them both but while at the club at the weekend I noticed if the hamster was pushed all the way up it made the noise from the stripper change considerably also changed POI.

The rifle seemed to produce a spluttering noise but once the Hamster was pulled out a little, no contact made the rifle a lot quitter & POI improved, so be careful when positioning the Hamster so it does not make contact with the action inside.

One rod will hit metal the other hits the small foam pad (put there to deaden the air blast from the 'air release hole' from the reg I think), anyway just a useless bit of info for you.

If the rifle is running well you should not even have to check zero each week as it seems to keep it bang on, not allowing for any knocks you may give it though in transit :-)
AR5s
Old 17th October 2016, 04:53 PM

Mine reg was set at 95 bar which Darren recomends. It's a pity Air Arms didn't sort a good reg out in the first place, these arn't cheap guns.
Old 17th October 2016, 08:15 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

[QUOTE=Ewan;248528]One thing you should watch out for though is if you use the Hamster extension rods.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but i'll explain.

When I bought my extension rods from Bonds Airgun Spares I had to trim them down as I shoot HFT, having made centre to barrel from bottom of hamster was in line with HFT rules I did get some comments at my last comp, I even offered for it to be measured but I was told 'na don't worry', anyway as soon as I got home I re measured them & yes they were too long, by 1mm, very sorry about this btw.

I have now removed them both but while at the club at the weekend I noticed if the hamster was pushed all the way up it made the noise from the stripper change considerably also changed POI.

The rifle seemed to produce a spluttering noise but once the Hamster was pulled out a little, no contact made the rifle a lot quitter & POI improved, so be careful when positioning the Hamster so it does not make contact with the action inside.

One rod will hit metal the other hits the small foam pad (put there to deaden the air blast from the 'air release hole' from the reg I think), anyway just a useless bit of info for you.

If the rifle is running well you should not even have to check zero each week as it seems to keep it bang on, not allowing for any knocks you may give it though in transit :-)[/QUOTE

hmm little foam pad, never had this on mine but had noticed on another one, if its the one I think it is any attempt to block its going to seriously alter the velocity, theres been s fair few comments about it on here already, tbh the air coming outs going to blow any thing out the way , stick it over a chrono with your finger over it , youll get a good 50 fps difference .
Ok , just taken mine out of the stock , theres about 10mm clearance difference between the front and rear , are your posts that different in lenght ? ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161017_202559.jpg (382.4 KB, 76 views)

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?

Last edited by vinny; 17th October 2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 17th October 2016, 09:45 PM

Member of: Dunfermline
Default Posts

I think what's happened vinnie when you have pushed the hamster all the way in you have blocked the hole that the air escapes from the firing valve then you fire it all FTP, EV2s do it , you don't lose a lot of air but it will affect the firing cycle if blocked .
Regards Dave
Old 17th October 2016, 10:41 PM
Allowed in Sales

On newer FTP's that hole ( the one above the rear hamster bar ) has a small block of foam covering it.
It's not dense foam, so will allow airflow.

Why do you think blocking it would reduce power?
Old 17th October 2016, 10:44 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

When I first found this escaping air I assumed it shouldnt be there so tried blocking it with a bit of strong double sided tape, it blew it clean off, I tried sticking my finger over it and chronod it the air still escaped as I couldnt seal it with my finger , the fps dropped by about 40fps

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?

Last edited by vinny; 17th October 2016 at 10:51 PM.