Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Benchrest

Benchrest Anything bench related...

Old 18th September 2016, 07:14 AM
Question Scope for Hw101

HW101 scope/ mounts
I am looking into a new scope for benchrest shooting with my 101. Now I am quite keen on the new Viper pro high mag scope. I am now researching a) is the scope any good? b) should I put on a dovetail to weaver adapter, since a lot of people seem to do that? and c) if not what rings/mounts should I use?
I am also trying to find out how to fit the rifle properly to my body, but get conflicting answers in the club. I would like that sorted before the new scope since scope height makes a difference.
Sorry for all these questions at once, but I am new to all this...
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th September 2016, 12:52 PM
Member of: castle
Default Scope

Viper pro , best to try and look through one make sure ret suits you also check for whiteout . A lot start with the Falcon T35 or a Weaver .
Perhaps pm thebaron on here for more info.
Cheers Alan

Old 21st September 2016, 08:00 PM

Thank you! I also was told the Hawke Airmax 30 SF 8-3250 AMX IR seems a good beginners scope and better than the MTC viper pro. So much choice, a jungle for beginners. I will have a look at both .How do I know that my rifle fits to me properly? I am using the butt which is already on the Weihrauch, but seen adjustable ones. I feel comfortable shooting and shoot reasonable, but want to improve obviously . Any advice will be scooped up gratefully

Last edited by themack; 21st September 2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 24th September 2016, 05:47 PM
Member of: Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
Default scope for BR

As Alan says a Weaver T36 is a good choice

A fixed mag makes sense as better optics per pound spent

The other thing you must have for BR is a fine reticle with or without centre dot

Falcon do a fixed 35x with fine reticle that is cheaper than the Weaver but its extra weight may take your rifle/scope combination above the LV limit in UKBR22 competitions

Next thing to consider is that the scope is better with 1/8 MOA clicks.The Weaver is 1/8MOA.
Falcon do both 1/8MOA and 1/4MOA

Sightron also do a couple of fixed mag 36x scopes. One a bit cheaper than the Weaver and the Big Sky model which is a similar price to the Weaver.

Last edited by thebaron; 24th September 2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: addition of text
Old 24th September 2016, 06:11 PM
Member of: B O A C, B R P C ,

I use the Sightron SII 36x42 BRD very good glass and build quality
Old 26th September 2016, 04:10 PM

Thanks guys for all your answers. Will have a look at all of them. Might take some time, but I don't want to make a costly mistake. Sundance has mailed me some good advice too, so I work my way slowly through the jungle of scopes..
Thanks again
Regards Sandra