Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 17th September 2016, 05:56 PM

Default AA tx200 mk 1

I've recently rediscovered I had a AA TX200 Mk1 sat in my gun cupboard and I've decided that it's time it got some use. I have acquired a PW stock and have polished the relevant Sears on the trigger mechanism and have got it as good as I think it could be.

Now the firing cycle of the rifle seems a tad sluggish and "twangy". Over the chrono it's running in the 750fps region with jsb 8.4's. The firing cycle is by no means smooth, nothing like my LGV. I have had it to bits and although there seems to be nothing a miss with the current internals they most definitely look like they are past there best.

Now I know v Mach used to produce tuning kits but I also know there may well be others that produce something better. This rifle is nearly as old as I am so I'd really like to get it up and running as sweet as it could be. So gents hit me with suggestions.

Many thanks,

Kieran

Last edited by Bellerophon; 17th September 2016 at 06:01 PM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th September 2016, 11:49 AM

Has Nobody got any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 18th September 2016, 12:53 PM
La Veille Alliance

Member of: l'Association Francaise de Field Target

If you can define what you wish to achieve and how you may measure it regarding "as sweet as it could be" then folks can try and help with experience and recommendations....
Sweet to me is minimal sight picture movement and excellent consistency (esp. hot to cool and the reverse temp wise) i.e. helping me to consistently knock down tin chickens, for others it can be cycle feel, noise (twang), cocking effort, service intervals etc. etc. ...
Happy to try and help but, need some more input ref goals
Old 18th September 2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake-San View Post
If you can define what you wish to achieve and how you may measure it regarding "as sweet as it could be" then folks can try and help with experience and recommendations....
Sweet to me is minimal sight picture movement and excellent consistency (esp. hot to cool and the reverse temp wise) i.e. helping me to consistently knock down tin chickens, for others it can be cycle feel, noise (twang), cocking effort, service intervals etc. etc. ...
Happy to try and help but, need some more input ref goals

Sake-San apologies for my lack definitive clarification. Maybe I should take some English literature and language classes.

To outline the overall end goal I'd like to knock more tin chickens over. I'd prefer that hold sensitivity is minimal although I fully understand and appreciate this won't be fully eliminated.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and pointing out my lack of clarity.
Old 18th September 2016, 03:53 PM

Member of: B O A C, B R P C ,

You have a pm Kieran .
Old 18th September 2016, 04:09 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

I'd have a word with Steve Pope if you're looking for something sweet feeling... hold sensitivity was something i never had with his tune in my 97... but to be honest my no1 goal is getting something consistent that doesn't break things... i'm going through a lot of parts at the moment. John Budd's 22mm prototype i shot day 3 at the worlds was very very nice in terms of feel and stayed consistent during the day, but wasn't putting out the power i'm looking for.

The search continues. Got a drop in from Nick G on the way to hopefully cure the temp shifts i've seen... and then once that's done it's onto feel.

Don't do it Kieran, they're the devils work.
Old 18th September 2016, 04:12 PM
La Veille Alliance

Member of: l'Association Francaise de Field Target

The intention was to try and help not critique!, as different components can and do bring different results. Apologies if it came across as otherwise.
As its a MKI the stroke is fine so just treat it to a strip, degrease, new spring, guide, piston & breach seals & relube.
The standard AA seal is not the most efficient, the V-Mach one I have found to be more stable through temperature extremes.
Better efficiency from an LGU seal for example but, that requires some piston modding for fitting.
Or, to take it a step further and contact someone like Nick G on here for a lightened ally o-ring piston.
Old 18th September 2016, 04:42 PM

Member of: oldham

Brian Sampson,s shoot,s nice not sure what mk it is though might be worth asking him.
Old 18th September 2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'll be dropping some PM's all over the shop
Old 18th September 2016, 07:04 PM

Member of: Greyhound/ Purley Chase

I have a MK 1 with my ally o ring piston in it at 25mm diameter, I like it but for a sporting / fun / plinker it may seem a little fast for some people , I have been doing experiments with 21mm and 22mm comp tubes and now have the 22( making 11.2 ft lb) in my Target gun as it gives the best balance of shot cycle ( civilised) and sight picture movement( minimal), The 21 is very close to it with a softer cycle but it moves more so the 21 will probably end up in my mk1 with a standard stock.
Still experimenting with it though, I had it measured with a clever blokes accelerometer rig with a light gate on the end of the barrel, and it turns out it has a quicker shot development time than an R10 !

Getting back to your standard mk1 a very nice first tune involves using an lgu, or lgv seal and lightening the piston to 200 grm, with the standard spring, makes the power easily and very nice cycle with less movement.