Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 12th September 2016, 10:16 PM
itchy trigger finger

Member of: springfield and mad

some more pics of the ataman m2
http://www.rlairgunsupply.com/ataman...d-target-.177/
Old 13th September 2016, 12:36 AM

Member of: Thorn Dell ( RIP )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
Not keen on the lines at all, looks like it was designed by committee, awful.
I agree 100% with you . Just like the new BFTA logo.
Old 13th September 2016, 05:30 AM
B Grade Bandit

Member of: Anston FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcos View Post
I agree 100% with you . Just like the new BFTA logo.
Chrome plated platitudes, if you could sell them you'd make a fortune.
Old 13th September 2016, 08:45 AM
Reformed Bandit

Member of: Millride FTC

its uglier than an ardvarks ********

Since JH9015 : 92.3 / 85.7 / 97.3 / 86.6 / 71.4
Old 13th September 2016, 09:33 AM

With that Deben on there I'd guess the picture is of Stuart Hancox's rifle? I did shoot an Ataman once and it seemed to suffer from a bouncy hammer, whether that was a bad one or the design has improved over time I don't know. It's a bit sad that a British company won't spend the money to develop their own gun but when you look at the size of the market maybe that's no surprise? Most of the popular FT guns are recycled 10m rifles, even the FTP900 has loads of RN10 DNA. For the sale of perhaps scores of rifles rather than 100s or 1000s you can see why Daystate have gone this way and bought a gun in.

I'm sure the gun will be effective and accurate. Whether people will want to spend that much wedge on that gun; time will tell. Just how good is that trigger? What does it handle like? Looks real long to me. I presume it has a regulator?

It does look like it comes with loads of kit (butt hook/hamster) that people tend to nail on afterwards, so it's got that part right anyway. Daystate could have done worse that to reintroduce the CRX with a better trigger...
Old 13th September 2016, 09:57 AM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by simona View Post
With that Deben on there I'd guess the picture is of Stuart Hancox's rifle? I did shoot an Ataman once and it seemed to suffer from a bouncy hammer, whether that was a bad one or the design has improved over time I don't know. It's a bit sad that a British company won't spend the money to develop their own gun but when you look at the size of the market maybe that's no surprise? Most of the popular FT guns are recycled 10m rifles, even the FTP900 has loads of RN10 DNA. For the sale of perhaps scores of rifles rather than 100s or 1000s you can see why Daystate have gone this way and bought a gun in.

I'm sure the gun will be effective and accurate. Whether people will want to spend that much wedge on that gun; time will tell. Just how good is that trigger? What does it handle like? Looks real long to me. I presume it has a regulator?

It does look like it comes with loads of kit (butt hook/hamster) that people tend to nail on afterwards, so it's got that part right anyway. Daystate could have done worse that to reintroduce the CRX with a better trigger...
Some fair points, I'm a big fan of the Feinwerkbau but the new Anshutz 9015 looks excellent, not sure on the brown sideboard wood but I really like the design. Same with the Walther 400, it's a bit more basic but the design is wonderful, very minimal.
Old 13th September 2016, 12:25 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Looks schmooks. It's how it shoots that matters. That unless you're going to put it on the bedroom wall and look at it.

But I think it's a good thing there's now a few manufacturers getting into FT, and not only on the gun side. I know companies that are engaging with the sport are reaping rewards.
Old 13th September 2016, 12:31 PM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Looks schmooks. It's how it shoots that matters. That unless you're going to put it on the bedroom wall and look at it.
Whilst I agree to some degree, I do think looks matter in a competitive marketplace and design has its place. German gun designers certainly seem to have a better eye for it, as much as I loved my S400 it did look like it had dropped off the wall of my great great great grandmothers

I do believe you can have both.
Old 13th September 2016, 01:13 PM

Member of: Iceni Marksmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post

But I think it's a good thing there's now a few manufacturers getting into FT, and not only on the gun side. I know companies that are engaging with the sport are reaping rewards.
I wish they hadn't availed themselves of these opportunities Rob. From my viewpoint and experience of their customer care......Daystate are the last company on earth who deserve a slice of the FT market. (Hadn't they already turned their backs on us in favour of the 'premium' plinker market')

The rifle might well turn out to be excellent, and for its Russian manufacturer, I sincerely hope it does well for them. The spoiler is 'DAYSTATE' engraved on the action.

The introduction of this rifle just smacks of an attempt to reap the benefits (profit) of entering the FT market, for the minimum investment possible. They'll never get any of my money, ever.

Caveat Emptor
Old 13th September 2016, 01:50 PM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
The rifle might well turn out to be excellent, and for its Russian manufacturer, I sincerely hope it does well for them. The spoiler is 'DAYSTATE' engraved on the action.
They do shoot well, I think Pepone from Spain has been using one for a while now, he does great with it. Not sure if he's had any mods done tho!