Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 6th September 2016, 10:07 PM

Default Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law

Highways Act 1980

22.31 Under section 161 of the Highways Act 1980, it is an offence for any person, without lawful
authority or excuse, to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of any highway,
if in consequence any user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered. For these
purposes a carriageway means a highway (other than a cycle track) over which the public
have a right of way for the passage of vehicles.

22.32 The Highways Act does not apply in Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use common law
offences of “culpable and reckless conduct” and “reckless endangerment” in situations in
which the 1980 Act would be contravened in England and Wale
Old 6th September 2016, 10:19 PM

Member of: MidShires Marksmen
Default standing

All of the legal requirements can and will be alright, the conversation was related to use of a different rifle ie the chaps hunting rig instead of the FT rig.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:56 PM
Bob Evans

Member of: ByleyFTC

it amazes me just how many people whom use any type of firearm just don't know the laws and where they stand,

as long as your back garden is NOT facing a road and it is at least 50ft away from the centre of it then you can shoot your air rifle but MUST make sure all precautions are made to ensure there is no chance whatsoever of the pellet leaving your boundary , so go and practice in your back garden,

my back garden is 65yrds long, its perfect for practicing and I even have a school at the back of me, I don't shoot whilst the school is open just to keep the peace with them because lets be honest most people think guns are for nut cases, I did once have the police call round because the janitor saw a man with a gun by the school, the police called and as they saw everything was above board they left, they then informed the school what I was doing was perfectly legal, I,m just lucky that I know the persons involved with the school ,

I have plenty of land to practice on so don't bother at home except for standers but NOT with a loaded rifle, as stated I just keep the crosshairs on the target,,

in saying that its not doing me any good because I,m still useless at standers
Old 7th September 2016, 06:36 AM

Member of: Purley Chase ftc
Default Not the same

I have plenty of land to practice on so don't bother at home except for standers but NOT with a loaded rifle, as stated I just keep the crosshairs on the target,,

in saying that its not doing me any good because I,m still useless at standers [/QUOTE]

To be honest I think you are waisting your time with this exercise , you will not know the outcome
Your trigger will be completely different when not cocked and without a pellet in how do you know how good the supposed shot was.
To practise standers with a moderated gun is different to using an un moderated gun, let alone a different gun altogether.
At best the op needs to get an adapter for his field target rifle and mod it up for practise ,better still use the moderator for field target and practise all he wants.
Simon
Old 7th September 2016, 12:22 PM

Member of: MidShires Marksmen
Default Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
it amazes me just how many people whom use any type of firearm just don't know the laws and where they stand,

as long as your back garden is NOT facing a road and it is at least 50ft away from the centre of it then you can shoot your air rifle but MUST make sure all precautions are made to ensure there is no chance whatsoever of the pellet leaving your boundary , so go and practice in your back garden,

my back garden is 65yrds long, its perfect for practicing and I even have a school at the back of me, I don't shoot whilst the school is open just to keep the peace with them because lets be honest most people think guns are for nut cases, I did once have the police call round because the janitor saw a man with a gun by the school, the police called and as they saw everything was above board they left, they then informed the school what I was doing was perfectly legal, I,m just lucky that I know the persons involved with the school ,

in saying that its not doing me any good because I,m still useless at standers
Not sure where this thread is going? perhaps my question wasn't clear enough the question I tried to ask was would it be alright to swap between two rifles. all of the guys involved in the conversation are fully aware of all laws and requirements relating to safe shooting and have excellent relationships with their immediate neighbours, the reference to a neighbour related to one guy who has a difficult neighbour serval doors down thus wanted to use a his other rifle with a moderator on it.
Old 7th September 2016, 12:33 PM

Shooting standers is what I do. There are techniques and disciplines you can learn that will be transportable from rifle to rifle, but you will only get the best result by using just the one rifle.

What practice with any other rifle will do for you is to give you confidence when you come to shoot standers in FT or HFT.

Here's a practice card of mine, ten shots at 20 yards, standing, 22 cal S410 carbine using JSB 5.51 pellets.

What's important is the group size, not the zeroing.
Old 7th September 2016, 12:35 PM

Can't find how to reduce the pic size, over to you, mods. The card is 17cm square.
Old 7th September 2016, 12:57 PM
Never has been banned from sales

Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

10 shots and not a single one in the 10 ring!
Old 7th September 2016, 01:04 PM

Member of: ETL / TEGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
10 shots and not a single one in the 10 ring!
Hahaha classic...
Old 7th September 2016, 01:04 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Here's one of the Blue Stratos Paper Puncher's team efforts...

Just goes to show what eating all your sprouts does for the standing positon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viber image.jpg (140.0 KB, 124 views)