Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 2nd September 2016, 08:01 AM
I'm a silly sausage...

Member of: Pontefract
Default Spot on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn68 View Post
I don't think I will have the pleasure of shooting in 40c + temps but I did suffer from a significant power drop in temps below 3c running the Aussie seals.

Jon
LGV Master, standard internals....negligible variation in normal UK temps, ( do you really mean 46c ? where do you guys shoot? Dubai? ) sight pic no probs...however when shot at Anston in really cold, snowy conditions there was a definate P.O.I shift and 'sloppiness' to the gun.....it don't like it cold! This I would assume is because the extreme cold drove the lubes below optimum working temps resulting in a semi unlubed,sticky, gun. Its like car oils, in the uk they use ones suited to UK temps ,with different oils used in much hotter climbs... You have to find one that works 'most' of the time in 'most' conditions.....however, re-lube 'cause it's gonna snow today? I don't think so eh?
Old 3rd September 2016, 06:34 PM

liking full skirt o ring piston and honed comp tube. in 25mm

revisited a previous project and after a bit of reading and recent experiences , realised that i had too much crush .

reduced that and getting good consistency .

still testing ....................

might try a smaller od next.............
Old 4th September 2016, 10:23 AM

Member of: Greyhound/ Purley Chase

Went to the springer bash yesterday, with 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25mm, set ups , a lot of people shot them and the general consensus was the 21mm was the best , ie shot feel, and cycle speed , very low sight picture movement, though this tune is about as far as you can go it makes 10.8 in the carbine action, any more spring and it diesels , big time ( burns all the lube out in one shot , it is very consistent over the chrono. at the moment it is skirtless but I have a problem with the piston going tight after around 100 shots , so I have sourced a different spring so I can run a full piston and therefore use a longer spring ,so hopefully it should make the power , fingers crossed , if I can sort this I think its probably the best tune I have come up with to date , very easy to cock , and hardly any sight picture movement.
O rings definitely the way to go for consistency, but the groove sizeing is crucial,for longevity, and making the power.
Old 4th September 2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
Went to the springer bash yesterday, with 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25mm, set ups , a lot of people shot them and the general consensus was the 21mm was the best , ie shot feel, and cycle speed , very low sight picture movement, though this tune is about as far as you can go it makes 10.8 in the carbine action, any more spring and it diesels , big time ( burns all the lube out in one shot , it is very consistent over the chrono. at the moment it is skirtless but I have a problem with the piston going tight after around 100 shots , so I have sourced a different spring so I can run a full piston and therefore use a longer spring ,so hopefully it should make the power , fingers crossed , if I can sort this I think its probably the best tune I have come up with to date , very easy to cock , and hardly any sight picture movement.
O rings definitely the way to go for consistency, but the groove sizeing is crucial,for longevity, and making the power.
does the piston loosen off again nick ?

or does it tighten up after 100 shots and stay tight ?

i think i'm asking whether the tightness is heat related ?

rob and i were measuring ally versus steel pistons for expansion .

so you're looking for a 18 -19 mm od spring ?
Old 4th September 2016, 08:04 PM

Its not temperature related , I think the piston( brass) is chattering as it travels down the bore, and picking up. Any tightness saps power, I had too good a fit in the guide rod diameter and it cost in the region of .3 ft lb,
I have ordered a 19 mm spring, so a full piston will cure it , I have 22 23 and 24, set ups with full ally pistons with a rear bearing and don't have the issue with them.
Old 4th September 2016, 10:24 PM

yep with you on the skirted versus lollipop piston.......they're not made like that by accident are they ?
and you get better control over spring wobble

full skirted ally at 21mm will be at a usable weight or even too light if you try . reckon 120g quite possible.

i'll have to re visit mine, it got sidelined when i couldn't achieve a long enough cocking stroke with a std mk2 lever ....just a matter of relieving a little meat
Old 5th September 2016, 07:34 PM

That's funny, I had exactly the same problem with the under lever, My pistons at 125 at the moment , I will make the new one lighter and add a piston weight to give me some adjustability.

Everyone that shot it at the springer bash thought it was the best of my guns , though most were hunters ,or fun shooters, not many target lads there, mind a mate showed us all up hitting a 70 odd yard target standing , frequently !
Old 6th September 2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
That's funny, I had exactly the same problem with the under lever, My pistons at 125 at the moment , I will make the new one lighter and add a piston weight to give me some adjustability.

Everyone that shot it at the springer bash thought it was the best of my guns , though most were hunters ,or fun shooters, not many target lads there, mind a mate showed us all up hitting a 70 odd yard target standing , frequently !
the under lever is relieved on the mk 3 to allow extra travel .

i'm gonna have to do that on this old mk2 donkey.....tyring to get max stroke out of it for small bore pistons .

heard of another 22mm that was running at around 120g very soft to shoot but hard on springs.
that was apparently running hw45 seal , dunno if para or not , deffo skirted piston .

i must say i'm leaning toward o ring set up at the moment .

simply looking for consistency over widest temp range .......that's it .
cant be doing with huge poi shifts it has been an issue and very much temp related .
don't even care if i have to run so loose that it twangs a bit .
sure i can run tight guides and splodge the whole thing in grease to deaden it but that just introduces to many variables
shot feel is secondary at the moment , although i ve got a feeling that will follow to a degree with an efficient set up.

got some testing to do.............
Old 6th September 2016, 12:25 PM

My 22 has an aussie hw45 seal, shot feel is very refined , cycle is quick, only recently put it in the target gun to test properly, piston is in the region of 150g
Old 30th November 2016, 09:43 AM

Ohhh Nooooo ,
another distraction ,

I do dislike this multi tasking nonsense , it confuses my head .........

Cold yesterday , shot the tx in the morning straight from the house at 16 or 17 degrees 770 fps / 8.4s

left it outside till tea time ....flipping chilly ....-1 ............650 fps ............aaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhh Whassat ??????

gotta do some measuring now , but the pistons deffo tight in the bore .

it's all rob's fault for suggesting i test it .

alright for him , he's poncing about on his compooter alll day .......i'm trying to get stuff done , now this has come up

interesting though