Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 26th August 2016, 06:04 PM

Today I tested one of my piston seals for friction at 20C and 46C.

At 20C, the static friction was 6.07N (Newtons), the kinetic (sliding) friction 4.38N

At 46C, the static friction was 10.6N, the kinetic friction 7.35N

I had a second seal in my TX cooking in the greenhouse, and when acclimatised to 46C, the muzzle velocity was the same as at 20C.

For comparison, Rob's unsized seal was nearer 23N at 40C (much higher), down to under 5N when sized.

Worth bearing in mind that the kinetic friction figures quoted exist only for a very short period of time at the very start of the stroke; when the cylinder air pressure increases, they rocket.
Old 27th August 2016, 09:36 AM

Member of: Newbury

Aren't we confusing friction and resistance?

Friction is unpredictable and the guns we are shooting are virtually friction free when they leave the factory, after all the manufacturers have been at it 8 hours a day for the last 300 years!

Then we get our hands on them and bguger em up.

They pack them with a thick gooey grease for a reason. To create a constant resistance whilst managing recoil.

Now we require, and try to strive for a little less recoil, after all these are perfect sporting rifles and are not specifically designed for our purpose.

So to "tune" a gun we are trying to reduce spring compression and thereby recoil whilst preserving kinetic energy

To remove all the resistance from the working parts creates uncontrollable recoil and inconsistency and will certainly be temperature sensitive.

A car becomes very unpredictable if you just rely on the springs, so they add shock absorbers to create resistance and manage the recoil of the springs. A bit more technical as you haven't got a constant, but a similar principle.

So it all comes down to optimizing the resistance of the piston and the predictability of that constant velocity to make it do the exact same thing time after time.

Sadly, when you transfer or convert any energy you lose efficiency. We require a small amount of compressed air for our ultimate goal and that's why you need a boring PCP.
Old 27th August 2016, 12:13 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads HFT View Post
Today I tested one of my piston seals for friction at 20C and 46C.

At 20C, the static friction was 6.07N (Newtons), the kinetic (sliding) friction 4.38N

At 46C, the static friction was 10.6N, the kinetic friction 7.35N

I had a second seal in my TX cooking in the greenhouse, and when acclimatised to 46C, the muzzle velocity was the same as at 20C.

For comparison, Rob's unsized seal was nearer 23N at 40C (much higher), down to under 5N when sized.

Worth bearing in mind that the kinetic friction figures quoted exist only for a very short period of time at the very start of the stroke; when the cylinder air pressure increases, they rocket.
very interesting. The new rig is on long term test. It's not getting touched for a good while to see its temp sensitivity with the sized seal.

Steve pope told me before the comp that it sounds like seal fit issues.
Old 29th August 2016, 07:36 AM

Member of: Canterbury Airgun Club

Using my improved .22 HW97 during the wind free and rising temperature of 27 August midday, my point of impact altered progressively to a bit more that half a mildot. As conditions and the gun got warmer, poi dropped noticeably over 35 yds. Yet another variable to consider!
Old 29th August 2016, 08:55 AM
Never has been banned from sales

Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
Using my improved .22 HW97 during the wind free and rising temperature of 27 August midday, my point of impact altered progressively to a bit more that half a mildot. As conditions and the gun got warmer, poi dropped noticeably over 35 yds. Yet another variable to consider!
I hate it when it moves half a mil dot.
Old 29th August 2016, 09:35 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
That is the variable we are looking at
Old 29th August 2016, 09:54 AM

Member of: Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)

I don't think I will have the pleasure of shooting in 40c + temps but I did suffer from a significant power drop in temps below 3c running the Aussie seals.

Jon
Old 29th August 2016, 05:54 PM
La Veille Alliance

Member of: l'Association Francaise de Field Target

As if springers weren't frustrating enough, do yourselves a favor and fit an o-ring piston
Old 29th August 2016, 06:03 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake-San View Post
As if springers weren't frustrating enough, do yourselves a favor and fit an o-ring piston
Hmmm, fitted nick g kit ( o ring piston ) with sake, s lube regime and no fps temp swings happy days , just need to sort my stock inletting now , nearly there

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 30th August 2016, 08:08 PM
La Veille Alliance

Member of: l'Association Francaise de Field Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Hmmm, fitted nick g kit ( o ring piston ) with sake, s lube regime and no fps temp swings happy days , just need to sort my stock inletting now , nearly there
But, you are a modern, progressive, open minded HFT champ, with a highly developed learning agility.
The closed monastic order of FT springer monks is somewhat different. Consistency and a stable POI would necessitate the penance of putting stones in our sandals