Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 17th August 2016, 02:10 PM

Member of: Millride FTC
Default Quick valve

after some testing we felt it was better have a fast closing valve , .....not being under great spring preload helped achieve this .

I did mess with valve closing speeds when I first experienced problems with the new block.
A very thin brass top hat in the valve Spring produced some dramatic results.
It made things very aggressive , slamming the valve shut and deffinately not dead to shoot.

I have only used the new hammer but own both so I think some carefull measuring of how much each one travels is needed.
Old 18th August 2016, 06:20 AM

Member of: nelson
Default reg

what pressure are you running the reg
Old 18th August 2016, 06:35 AM

Default Reg pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
what pressure are you running the reg
Reg is set to 85 bar.
I may have a solution to the spade hammer twisting, it's at the drawing stage
Roller bearing key might just be the way to go !!

Last edited by Ratinator; 18th August 2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 18th August 2016, 07:11 AM

Default clarify

simon ,
i've got a bit lost here ,

is your concern that the hammer can rotate and therefore possibly strike at a different part of the face ....which may be un square and give un equal hits ?

just check for square and face off if needed

or

cocking roller rubbing the hammer stem ?

we had this on robs .....it wasnt the roller , it was the screw ......face it down a bit . edit if it is the rollers .......set the seat a bit deeper into the stabilizer body

important to make sure the cocking roller screw is secure , robs came loose a lot .

intresting to note that the double slot chassis will bend a lot if the screws are overtightened ........would be interesting to investigate whether the block can do the same ....maybe to a lesser degree .....and distort trueness of the hammer tract
Old 18th August 2016, 07:16 AM

Default here

did you see this

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...ad.php?t=29032

ah jusr re read that ...........it might have been my gun not robs ha ha .......i forget........any way , you get the idea

Last edited by hmangphilly; 18th August 2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 18th August 2016, 07:31 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Yeh Phil is right. Roller should not touch. If it does then that's a source of inconsistency right there.

It won't be hammer. The steyrs problems are wear, sealing and tolerances. Remove the stabiliser to test as well. That's also influenced by the weak chassis.

They're designed to be made easily. Not necessarily well.

If you want it to feel faster then shim the return valve. Leave the rest alone, even reg pressure. If you up the reg pressure you will most likely move away from its point of consistency as it won't be shimmed for higher pressure and all that will mean is more creep and a bigger change at lower pressure. The by product of turning the screw is to change the pressure but that's not what its prime effect is. The reg needs to be shimmed for higher pressures but you need to find its unique default pressure. You won't find it on an analogue gauge either.

The problem with steyrs is that every time they are stripped you disturb a number of things that can cause inconsistency. If everyone is not checked on assembly you are wasting your time or getting lucky.

Don't look for the high fruit, pick the low hanging stuff. It's extremely likely the issues you are seeing are the normal gun issues.
Old 18th August 2016, 07:58 AM

Default Confidence

"is your concern that the hammer can rotate and therefore possibly strike at a different part of the face ....which may be un square and give un equal hits ?"

Every now and again I get a wierd miss on a target , could be me , could be stabaliser, could be barrel , could be bad pellet, could be a million and one things .
My aim is to set up my kit so only pilot error can be the issue , if your confident in your kit you shoot better , it's that simple.
My rifle does about 8/10 fps over 10 shots so pretty standard for a Steyr , but i think it could be better.
I appreciate what you are saying about squaring the face of the hammer , that's something that is easily sorted.
The flimsy fireing valve itself is a slightly harder problem to solve , maybe some sort of guide for that also.

"cocking roller rubbing the hammer stem "

I watched your link and that is exactly the damage I was getting , I've polished the screw head but not marked with ink to check if it's still happening.
The hammer design for me is not great, all those thick thin sections is asking for trouble in my opinion. So I prefer the spade design if I'm honest but know that also brings issues , hence the hybrid idea.
I think if the good bits of each could be coupled a far more consistent strike could be achieved, resulting in more kit confidence.
The dark nights will be with us soon enough so plenty of fiddle time me thinks.

Last edited by Ratinator; 18th August 2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 18th August 2016, 10:52 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

If it's rubbing then face the screw till it doesn't and also check it's not coming loose. That will be causing some inconsistency now and then.
Old 18th August 2016, 12:09 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Simon if you are looking at reducing fps spread look at the barrel first, load a pellet in the normal way then shine a torch down the barrel from the front, if you can see any light around the pellet you wont improve your spread without re-machining the pellet entry. The gaps will allow a varying amount of air past the pellet before it starts to inflate the skirt and seal. A total seal will ensure the same quantity of air delivered from the reg and firing mechanism will stay behind each and every pellet.
At the moment you are trying to measure how much water a bucket holds while it is leaking! Stop worrying about putting the same amount of water in the bucket and fix the leaks first!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 18th August 2016, 12:46 PM

What he said
Bolt to barrel seal
Transfer port seal
And perfect pellet o barrel fit

Clean hammer
Properly set up reg
Hammer not fouling bolt

That barrel lead in is tricky .... Might be a job for tench

Doubt if you'll need much else to bring fps spread under control

Sorry about the egg sucking lesson