Shooting the breeze Wendover ARC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 10th August 2016, 09:11 AM

Member of: Millride FTC
Default Competition shooting

If your region has let's say 10 small clubs and about 60 shooters that will find somewhere to shoot every weekend , are summer leagues a good idea?
I know it's a good way to bring new shooters into the comp side of things and it also gives a local comp if you do not do the GPs but at what cost .
If small local clubs need a handful of people to attend every week to keep funds coming in " land rent , insurance " are the constant comp events taking that revenue away.
Maybe regions need to take a closer look at what's important to them , comps or plenty of venues for winter leagues.
All views welcomed
Simon
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10th August 2016, 10:00 AM
Reformed Bandit

its a good question and an interesting subject, i remember Terry Doe writing an article about something very similar back in the early 90's. I guess both competitive shooting and pleasure plinking should and need to exist side by side.
Its human nature that some people will want to compete and some people wont its just the way it is. I believe the answer lays somewhere between having a field target club that encourages people to "have a go" in a non competitive environment (maybe have a week a month where no score cards are used for example) and having Air Gun clubs whom provide a monthly competition of some sort that keeps the members who have a competitive desire happy.
However from what i see FT has an addictive side to it and i think a lot of people will want to see how far they can go so course design that has something for everybody will continue to be very important if the sport is to continue growing.
When i returned to FT last year i was quite surprised by the demographic of FT shooters, whilst a little disappointed not to see more "teens" involved i was pleasantly surprised to see the number of ladies competing (and doing a bloody good job of it). What you cant help but notice though is that the average age of the competitive FT shooter must be late 40's to early 50's? whilst this isnt a problem and infact is something to be celebrated i think we have to find a way to bring young blood and thereby a future to the sport.
Old 10th August 2016, 10:14 AM
Because I`m.............

Member of: Oaktree, Avon Hawks, Harriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
Maybe regions need to take a closer look at what's important to them , comps or plenty of venues for winter leagues.
All views welcomed
Simon
What is the difference between winter and summer?

Still taking people away from clubs? It does not seem to effect the regions that hold summer shoots?

Our view was if we improved the club facilities, more members would join and the club would be buoyant.
It worked. One off joing fee, no range fees.
Member ship gone from 12 to 50+ I the last 2 year. mostly non comp shooters.

BFTA Grading Questions or requests for "Your" rolling 16 to simon.evans2@ntlworld.com

Updated Bfta % by region and grade

Now on here!
http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...splay.php?f=82

TAAlk but My shooting says I can only hit them when its not BBreezy!!
Old 10th August 2016, 10:16 AM

Member of: Anston

This is a subject that Anston has had postings on.
I posted.
I took my 9-11 year old grandson to the range he was comming along nicely for comps, but at 11 or so he saw girls and mates in a new light, after they have done with school or such, new intersts like places like Alton Towers cars girls take up there time, then 20 odds family comitmants lack of money and time, its not till 40 and on do people have the funds and time to take up shooting again, I for one was like this and a lot more are the same if honesty is spoken.
But like you say, a good club needs a diverce membership, plinkers and comp shooters and must cater for both.
But open days are a good idea, due to the fact people can see what the clubs are like and could get people to take it up, but most of all educate people not all shooters go out to shoot wild animals, but go out for a day of enjoyment no matter the disapline they want to do.

Last edited by Jtr Rhyl; 10th August 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10th August 2016, 10:29 AM

Default Small clubs

It amazes me how some clubs survive , not everywhere is like castle and millride.
I would guess that most clubs need about 1250 a year to break even. This also needs a lot of voluntary help from the members which is often hard to come by.
Maybe regions need to look at subsidies for their little clubs.
If clubs are loosing out to summer shoots , do they bother putting on shoots ,on summer league dates ?
Maybe little clubs need to look into Saturday shooting or maybe alternate their weeks with other local clubs.

Last edited by Ratinator; 11th August 2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10th August 2016, 10:36 AM

Default Another small region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post
What is the difference between winter and summer?

Still taking people away from clubs? It does not seem to effect the regions that hold summer shoots?

Our view was if we improved the club facilities, more members would join and the club would be buoyant.
It worked. One off joing fee, no range fees.
Member ship gone from 12 to 50+ I the last 2 year. mostly non comp shooters.
Wales is a good example on this subject with quite a small following for field target.
There seems to be very few plinkers about these days in ft , just comp shooters.
If these shooters follow the comp circuit then the clubs with no plinkers will suffer.
May I ask how much ground rent is for Tondu , is it similar to what I have mentioned.
Also how many Ft clubs does Wales have that put on regular shoots?
Old 10th August 2016, 10:47 AM

Member of: Avon Hawks

SWEFTA gave up winter and summer leagues when the number of clubs in the region started to get close to the number of months in the year. At the time as I recall it was around eight.

We now have eleven clubs each of which hosts a SWEFTA shoot a year. We then have a trophy shoot, which travels around the region and a Christmas shoot that does the same.

There are usually 60 shooters at each competition, some FT some HFT and many that do both.

As a result of the region being so active we have an increasing number of shooters attending all the GP's and a handful who (like me) attend just one or two.

We have a good number of regular shooters, we have a few newcomers and returnees working their way up the grades and usually add one or two brand new shooters a year to replace the handful that leave, so the general environment is reasonably healthy.

So for SWEFTA summer leagues don't really exists, but in the past they were a means of growing clubs and getting new shooters into the sport.
Old 10th August 2016, 11:14 AM
Because I`m.............

Member of: Oaktree, Avon Hawks, Harriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
Wales is a good example on this subject with quite a small following for field target.
There seems to be very few plinkers about these days in ft , just comp shooters.
If these shooters follow the comp circuit then the clubs with no plinkers will suffer.
May I ask how much ground rent is for Tondu , is it similar to what I have mentioned.
Also how many Ft clubs does Wales have that put on regular shoots?
I did say in my post that most of our club are non comp / plinkers.
Our outgoings are much the same as most others, but as I said smaller clubs may well find speculating may well end up in accumulating as we have.

Having summer shoots is a good idea (To answer you OP), as its an easier stepping stone onto the Ft cuircit, i.e the regions that don't time local shoots, one less thing to put off a new shooter.
Shooters can then decide if many miles of travelling around the Uk is for them.

I presume you post is because you think summer shoots are not good for fT?

BFTA Grading Questions or requests for "Your" rolling 16 to simon.evans2@ntlworld.com

Updated Bfta % by region and grade

Now on here!
http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...splay.php?f=82

TAAlk but My shooting says I can only hit them when its not BBreezy!!
Old 10th August 2016, 11:15 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Buccs has facilities for plinkers, ie a plinking range... that's it. But it makes use of it's limited opening days by also having a club league which is quite popular, and a couple of winter leagues which brings in some cash. It has quite a relatively high rent, which is met by the subs.

The problem with trying to supplement the club with plinkers is that is all many will do. I'd take many shelters and seats and burn them, i am not joking. Stops people drinking tea and doing little else. That's if you want an FT club.

If you want a plinking club, get a kettle, shelter and some benches. You may struggle though when it comes to running a course because some plinkers can be very hard to find if they're not marshalling a tea bag or looking after a pack of digestives.

Away competitions do create a vacuum, but if you have a ranked set of events then people will find their own level. It's important not to rely on the region to run it all, there needs to be say a club league, a regional league, national league, and international. People can then do what suits them.

If competition shooters are not attending the club then you have to ask why that is... what do they want/need?

For me I do need a permanent plinking range, idealy one I can get access any day of the week. A course is less important, but a small permanent one is useful. Understandably some clubs can't have anything left out, but that's a problem for them to solve. But with a good team it makes light work.

So to cover the rent and insurance for say 1500 you need 30 people paying 60. That's a small sum to ask.

The worst thing to do is to have 1-2 members who do everything, even sticking money in. That's a hiding to nothing and all the time that happens it won't change.

Juniors and plinkers are not the future of the sport. FT shooters are.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:50 PM

Default Reasons

Some would argue that the summer league is to give people an entrance into competative shooting without the pressure of the clock , personally I think clocks should be introduced for all shoots.
I'm just a little concerned that small clubs will die out if they don't get plinkers helping to pay the rent.
For me the Winter league was good because on the dates when there is no comps people go somewhere to practise bringing in much needed money.
It just seems that the whole summer is filled with dates which means clubs can only make their money during the bad weather season.
Plinkers do not do bad weather , shooters do.
I have no objection to comps I just think we need to think to the future. After all if the clubs close , we will have no where to put comps on.