Shooting the breeze FT Review  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 6th August 2016, 06:55 AM
Steve C.

Right, now I'm thinking of using a digital magnetometer (if there is such a thing) to measure direction and strength of magnetic fields. Linking this with an i-pad will enable me to point the rifle in the direction indicated and without looking down the scope simply knock the target down. Infallible

Steve (next world champ) C.
Old 6th August 2016, 07:01 AM

Member of: Emley moor
Wink

Oh no the these trees will play havoc with my magnetic lead pellets. Takes me days to introduce the magnetic field.

No wonder I keep missing.
Old 6th August 2016, 07:11 AM
Reformed Bandit

Member of: Millride FTC

Just imagine a newbie visiting this site for the first time and happening upon this thread prior to his first FT shoot.
Old 6th August 2016, 07:16 AM
I Love HFT

Is a shame that Brexit won or you could have applied for a EU grant to study this phenomenon.

Keep taking the tablets.

More or less.
Old 6th August 2016, 07:21 AM

Member of: nelson
Default magnetic fields

just imagine the using metal tip pellets
Old 6th August 2016, 07:32 AM

Default barking up the wrong magnetic tree

It is worth spending some time at castle studying this irregularity in magnetic forces ,however
I have a feeling that the high speed train that is due to pass there will impart a greater magnetic force on your pellets trajectory.
I have a feeling that rather than talking in kills of wind ,we will be talking in carriages of wind

Last edited by Ratinator; 6th August 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 6th August 2016, 07:38 AM
WFTF World Champion 2012

Member of: Castle
Default Aim point

I just aim higher, but then again I sometimes aim further right. Accassionally I'll aim to the left but generally I'll just put it straight down the pickle barrow! More often than not though I'll just guess and press and see if my lucks in..? Most of the time I'm just happy not to clip grass as this does have an effect on pellet direction. All of which cancel out magnetic tree pull on your bullets.... Simples.

Grim however can't adopt the above when compensating for magnetic pull because his tragectory from ground level is 17" above the normal humans... Were as mine is 17" below the normal human he struggles with my hypothesis on this phenomenon. At the end of the day it all boils down to how much time you put in shooting around trees. Practice, practice and luck.

Hope this helps...
Old 6th August 2016, 07:47 AM

Member of: NOFTC CRPC

Just to be clear. Lead is a diamagnetic element.

see here

Judicious alloying with a paramagnetic element could cancel out the effect of an external magnetic field (dia is repelled, para is attracted).

Not a huge effect though unless there is an intense localised magnetic field. Making ships from oak "Heart of Oak" saw a lot of Napoleon's balls bounce off.

Speaking of balls
Old 6th August 2016, 07:48 AM

Default gadjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRFIX GILLY View Post
I just aim higher, but then again I sometimes aim further right. Accassionally I'll aim to the left but generally I'll just put it straight down the pickle barrow! More often than not though I'll just guess and press and see if my lucks in..? Most of the time I'm just happy not to clip grass as this does have an effect on pellet direction. All of which cancel out magnetic tree pull on your bullets.... Simples.

Grim however can't adopt the above when compensating for magnetic pull because his tragectory from ground level is 17" above the normal humans... Were as mine is 17" below the normal human he struggles with my hypothesis on this phenomenon. At the end of the day it all boils down to how much time you put in shooting around trees. Practice, practice and luck.

Hope this helps...
When you aim higher do you use a knee riser ?
As for grass strikes Mr gillie , you would strike grass on a crown bowls green .
Old 6th August 2016, 02:31 PM
Gently does it......

Member of: Mid Shires Marksmen

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a measure of the "restitution" of a collision between two objects: how much of the kinetic energy remains for the objects to rebound from one another vs. how much is lost as heat, or work done deforming the objects.

The coefficient, e is defined as the ratio of relative speeds after and before an impact, taken along the line of the impact:

Coefficient of restitution ( e ) = Relative velocity after collision
Relative velocity before collision

Alternatively, this may be expressed as: Relative velocity of separation = e Relative velocity of approach.