Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 5th August 2016, 10:08 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

I believe the grief with the kneeling position is usually down to the shooter not reading or understanding the rules coupled with the fact that the lanes aren't usually marshalled in the UK.

The lanes will be marshalled at the Worlds - so shooters have a choice now - read and abide by the rules, or lose a target.

I'm offering to go through the WFTF rules at Anston with anyone who isn't sure what they are, and I'm offering to take a look at your kneeling position and point out things you might want to alter slightly for the Worlds to avoid problems.

If after all of that you still end up losing a target at the Worlds, well you've only got yourself to blame really.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:11 AM
B Grade Bandit

Member of: Anston FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by countorik View Post
I don't agree, nothing wrong with the present rule using your bean bag, as long as it's used correctly.
There isn't if people used it properly, learnt the rules and learnt to knee properly but they don't and it's been debated to death so I welcome the change. I'll be glad when it's used in every region.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:16 AM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by countorik View Post
I don't agree, nothing wrong with the present rule using your bean bag, as long as it's used correctly.
Don't like the kneeling roll myself, to much pressure on my ankle, so I won't be using one in Portugal, as long as there's a mat for me kneel on.
There's something you need to be aware of regarding the rules for kneelers if you don't use the kneeling roll.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:09 AM
Because I`m.............

Member of: Oaktree, Avon Hawks, Harriers
Default Sporting code

Hi Brian,
The foot being upright, it can be hard to judge if your foot is "upright" sometimes as you cant actually see it!
So are your partners allowed to say something, if they think you are canting your rear foot and sitting on it?

BFTA Grading Questions or requests for "Your" rolling 16 to simon.evans2@ntlworld.com

Updated Bfta % by region and grade

Now on here!
http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...splay.php?f=82

TAAlk but My shooting says I can only hit them when its not BBreezy!!
Old 5th August 2016, 11:15 AM

Default Hearing protection?

Great information, thanks Brian!

I have a question about hearing protection, is it allowed? A friend who was shooting in last years WFTC wasn't allowed to use his plugs with the motivation that he would not be able to hear commands from the Marshal... but if that were true then it would be impossible to use in all other shooting sports.

If protection type matters, I'm thinking of active hearing protectors like Peltor Sportac or just ordinary passive plugs.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:21 AM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post
Hi Brian,
The foot being upright, it can be hard to judge if your foot is "upright" sometimes as you cant actually see it!
So are your partners allowed to say something, if they think you are canting your rear foot and sitting on it?
Yes, that's fine. The foot being upright (when viewed from behind) is a difficult one, there's some leeway on that rule, it doesn't have to be perfectly upright, just really so you're not sitting on a turned foot.

I'd say 45 degrees is too much, but less than that is ok.

The other problem with that rule is that what is it vertical with? The ground? the Horizon?

I'm more interested in how there's things are going to be marshalled consistently rather than whether I think the rules are right or wrong, and to help the marshalling, I've requested that as much as possible I'd prefer to see kneeling lanes set on fairly level ground, uneven ground and steep elevated or de-elevated kneeling targets can also make marshalling the lane more problematic, so I've asked for a bit of help from the course setters for those lanes.

It's perfectly fine to ask for a bit of help from your shooting partners - there's some things to be aware of with that though. It's not acceptable for a shooter from another lane to wander over and start offering advice. Shooters from other lanes should approach one of your partners in a lane rather than approach a shooter directly, and also be a bit cautious about offering help on a position if it's not asked for.

Obvious stuff really - so if someone is just about to take a kneeling shot - it's probably not sportsmanlike to walk up to disturb them and tell them you don't like their kneeling position - you might end up putting them off their shot.

If someone gets into a kneeling position and turns and asks their partners if there rear foot looks ok, that's fine, it's fine to ask the marshal as well.

It's just common courtesy really.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:23 AM
Because I`m.............

Member of: Oaktree, Avon Hawks, Harriers

That's good to hear as it was not allowed last year in wftf.

Ta

BFTA Grading Questions or requests for "Your" rolling 16 to simon.evans2@ntlworld.com

Updated Bfta % by region and grade

Now on here!
http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...splay.php?f=82

TAAlk but My shooting says I can only hit them when its not BBreezy!!
Old 5th August 2016, 11:29 AM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
Great information, thanks Brian!

I have a question about hearing protection, is it allowed? A friend who was shooting in last years WFTC wasn't allowed to use his plugs with the motivation that he would not be able to hear commands from the Marshal... but if that were true then it would be impossible to use in all other shooting sports.

If protection type matters, I'm thinking of active hearing protectors like Peltor Sportac or just ordinary passive plugs.
There's no rule against them specifically, but in all of these things - common sense should prevail.

You're already aware of the potential problem with wearing hearing protectors - that you might not be able to hear a ceasefire, so there's a safety aspect to consider.

If you can't hear a call for a ceasefire - then I'd say no, safety always comes first.

Do you wear them at BFTA events? Any problems hearing ceasefires?
Old 5th August 2016, 11:36 AM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post
That's good to hear as it was not allowed last year in wftf.

Ta
Things are changing - for the better I hope

Gone are the days where Conor can say "There are no rules in WFTF" - but we need them to be consistent and fair. It's going to be good for the sport, but it's not an easy job. Everyone can help with this process by thinking before criticising.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
If you can't hear a call for a ceasefire - then I'd say no, safety always comes first.

Do you wear them at BFTA events? Any problems hearing ceasefires?
I usually wear hearing protection when training and competing here in Sweden, no problems hearing commands even with the passive plugs (they are designed to let through voice to a large extent). With the active type of hearing protection the hearing is actually enhanced significantly.

In Portugal I think I'll choose the passive plugs... far too hot for the Peltor Sportacs