Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 3rd August 2016, 11:54 PM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
Default Bit of advice for those going to the Worlds in Portugal

Just a quick heads up on a few things to watch out for if you don't want to have targets docked.

First off, the marshals won't dock targets off you directly as they did in Lithuania, you'll be given a written warning for rule infractions. Those written warnings will be decided on by a multi-national jury at the end of each day's shooting and they will decide if the infraction is serious enough for you to lose a target over it.

So... try not to get any written warnings if you can.. it might mean you'll be losing a target or two.

You can appeal against a decision by speaking to your NGB rep - so might not be a bad idea to find out who that is and whether they're actually going to be at the World Championships.

For the English shooters the committee for the EFTA is Mick Woodhead, Rob Farnworth and Me, but I'm not a good person to ask to raise a protest for you, because I'll be sitting on the multi-national jury - so I guess it'll be Mick or Rob.

Bean Bags... when you fill your bag with beans make sure it will fit into a 55cm x 55cm x 15cm box so that the lid will close. If it doesn't you've put too many beans in it.

Kneelers.....

I would advise using a kneeling roll personally, but if you aren't going to, make sure that it doesn't look like there's no gap between your shin and the floor.. there needs to be a visible gap there or it's written warning time.

That doesn't matter if you use a kneeling roll because the roll itself will mean there's a gap.

Also, make sure no part of your stock touches - or appears to touch your forearm. If it looks like it's touching - it's touching and again, written warning time.

If you have a long shooting jacket that covers your rear foot, put your foot outside of your jacket when you take a kneeling shot. If the marshal can't see your rear foot, you'll get a written warning.

Marshaling will be strict, but fair

If you're not sure about the kneeling rules (and lets face it, most people aren't) come and find me at Anston - show me your kneeling position and I'll tell you if it's legal and what you might need to be careful about.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 4th August 2016, 02:16 PM
World Jnr Champion 2016

Member of: North Oxon
Thumbs up Good to know

Thanks Brian, good to know ! Josh
Big Nikko Mk3 with Rowan stuff
Old 4th August 2016, 03:42 PM

Member of: ETL / TEGC

This kneeling 'thing' is going to roll on as long as the offside rule...
Old 4th August 2016, 04:27 PM

Member of: Castle FTC

Not if you just use a kneeling roll I reckon
Old 4th August 2016, 06:04 PM

Member of: Redfearns... Thanks Guy's

Thanks Brian.....will bare all that in mind.
Old 4th August 2016, 06:50 PM
WFTF World Champion 2012

Member of: Castle
Default Photo

Sounds like it could cause controversy to me...
Are the Marshalls going to all be consistent..? Some maybe more critical than others..?
How can the jury decide his opinion is correct or not when the jury ain't there to see it? What evidence is provided.. Photo? Or just his word..? How is the decision upheld or rejected?

Having a written warning given to you early on could play on your mind and cause your concentration to suffer..?!

I'm not making excuses before I get a ticket here but maybe More information should be given out before..?
Old 4th August 2016, 07:00 PM
55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

When using the kneeling roll are you allowed to sit with your ar$e on the back of your leg/shin, or should it be only on the back of your heel?
Old 4th August 2016, 08:40 PM

Member of: SDFTC

I think every one will need to be filmed or it could be open to mis use
Old 4th August 2016, 10:09 PM
Allowed in Sales

Marshalling will be consistent and the marshals will be trained, they are there to make sure the competition is safe, fair and fun.

Don't worry about the written warning thing too much, it's an alternative to the way points were docked in Lithuania - the marshals won't have the power to do that in Portugal (unless you shoot the wrong target for example). They'll just give a written warning instead, but it won't be done in an unfair way.

If you've just made a genuine mistake or it's pretty trivial, more often than not the marshal will just let you know with a polite chat, no need for a written warning.

If you're breaking a rule that could end up giving you an advantage over other shooters (cheating basically!), then you'll probably get a written warning for it and that might result in the loss of a target - the amount of evidence available and how many times you get warned for the same thing by different marshals might have a bearing on how that goes when it goes to a jury too.

It'll be done in a consistent and fair way. I'm running the training course for the marshals, and I'll be on the jury - but I probably won't be involved in any decisions for UK shooters - it wouldn't be fair if I did that, because there's a conflict of interest.

There really isn't any reason to be too concerned - the kneeling lanes are the ones to be aware of and if you're not sure about the rules, or even if you are and you want to double check - just ask me at Anston and I'll run through the things you need to watch out for.

Do what you normally do at every shoot you go to - but just double check the kneeling rules because they're a bit different to the BFTA rules, and marshals will be looking out for people breaking the rules with their kneelers.
Old 4th August 2016, 10:12 PM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
When using the kneeling roll are you allowed to sit with your ar$e on the back of your leg/shin, or should it be only on the back of your heel?
You're not shooting the Worlds are you Neil?