Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range/  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 30th July 2016, 03:32 PM
Ewan

Member of: Iden Ferns
Default Our son is going to try FT, any tips ?

Afternoon all,

Thought it may be a good idea to ask for any pointers for our son, aged 11, who I am taking to Kent Woodsmen tomorrow for a look around the club & having a go at FT instead of HFT for a change.

He is still getting used to & growing into his rifle, an S400 custom adjustable stock, he has made real progress at Iden Ferns & his HFT scores are pretty good for his size, age.

He likes doing the seated position but not so much standers, so I have bought him a shooting cushion & trying to encourage him to find his own comfortable way of shooting.

Is this best or should the positions be more or less the same for most people ?

The rifle is quite a weight for him to hold on free standers for any length of time but he is getting better, any advice on a way to help him on these at all or is it just a case of keep trying ?

I try & make the time we spend together shooting as fun as possible & he's very safety conscious but sometimes it really gets him down as he feels he should be able to achieve more than he is, we all know the simpler shots are the ones most missed (to a degree) & this does get to him sometimes & I try to teach him not to get discouraged & take that feeling to the next lane, treat each shot as fun as it were.

Anything I am doing wrong here or even advice on me teaching my son would be really appreciated as the lad really enjoys the sport in general.

Meant to add although he does not have a high mag scope just yet he does use a Hawke Airmax 30 SF & shoots using his Mil Dots, he understands hold-over / under etc.
Atb
Ewan
AR5s

Last edited by Ewan; 30th July 2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: additional info
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 30th July 2016, 03:38 PM
Because I`m.............

Member of: Oaktree, Avon Hawks, Harriers

Some Good people in Kent W.
Gordon and Dan Eley have plenty of experience and I am sure can give you some good pointers.
In person at a club Should always better than forums. Have fun and enjoy.

BFTA Grading Questions or requests for "Your" rolling 16 to simon.evans2@ntlworld.com

Updated Bfta % by region and grade

Now on here!
http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...splay.php?f=82

TAAlk but My shooting says I can only hit them when its not BBreezy!!
Old 30th July 2016, 03:42 PM

He'll be in good experienced hands at Kent with some of the best shots around being members there. He must not get too disheartened. Shooting technique takes time. I also started when I was 11, shooting with my dad! Main thing is to just keep enjoying it.
Old 30th July 2016, 04:12 PM
Ewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post
Some Good people in Kent W.
Gordon and Dan Eley have plenty of experience and I am sure can give you some good pointers.
In person at a club Should always better than forums. Have fun and enjoy.
Yep, met them both last week, nice guys they are too. They have their club comp tomorrow but are fine if we attend as well, lad can't wait.
AR5s
Old 30th July 2016, 04:23 PM

Member of: Avon Hawks

My son started out about the same age with a very similar set up. He enjoyed FT so as he grew we upgraded his kit and he turned out to be a pretty good shot.

He only stopped shooting when he went off to university and will probably get back into it at some point, when his business allows him the time.
Old 30th July 2016, 05:36 PM

Member of: Iceni Marksmen

What id suggest is seeing as he doesnt have a scope that will range find ask if you can tag along with an experienced shot and ask them what the ranges are. If he can range targets himself by eye or bracketing thats great but if he cant then ask. Shooting at an unknown range target teaches nothing and will frustrate him. Concentrate on knocking targets over to start with, progress to ranging when youve got a scope capable of it.
Old 30th July 2016, 09:29 PM

Member of: Dutchy

My son started ft in swefta this year . He started with a s200 and a 2-7 32 scope , the help we had in swefta was superb . All the help we recived was constructive and very helpfull i would guess you lad would get the same in your area . I would agree to match up with a regular shooter to give the info on ranges until you get a scope to range find . My lad now uses a mpr with a falcon t50 on top and is now growing with every shoot
Old 31st July 2016, 03:02 PM

Great to hear of young ones enjoying the sport and themselves.
For a smaller youngster, i would suggest not stressing too much with the standers. Positionals only account for about 20% of the shots and nearly half of those are kneelers, so concentrate on the sitting shots and make those count. Any standers are almost a bonus until he has grown into his setup.
There are various different positions for the 'sitting' shots. Let him experiment and find something that works for him. Has he tried the 'Dead mans position'? or the under the knee position? They work well for some although they look strange to many.
Most important is to practice, practice and then more practice. (as long as he still enjoys himself), the trigger time is the best way to improve those scores. Without a dedicated big focus scope for ranging, life will be a bit more tricky so he just needs to be reminded about this when he misses the odd few targets. Ranging is one of the big differences when compared to HFT, so get one of the experienced shooters to help him with the ranges and he will do fine.

ATB

kT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Afternoon all,

Thought it may be a good idea to ask for any pointers for our son, aged 11, who I am taking to Kent Woodsmen tomorrow for a look around the club & having a go at FT instead of HFT for a change.

He is still getting used to & growing into his rifle, an S400 custom adjustable stock, he has made real progress at Iden Ferns & his HFT scores are pretty good for his size, age.

He likes doing the seated position but not so much standers, so I have bought him a shooting cushion & trying to encourage him to find his own comfortable way of shooting.

Is this best or should the positions be more or less the same for most people ?

The rifle is quite a weight for him to hold on free standers for any length of time but he is getting better, any advice on a way to help him on these at all or is it just a case of keep trying ?

I try & make the time we spend together shooting as fun as possible & he's very safety conscious but sometimes it really gets him down as he feels he should be able to achieve more than he is, we all know the simpler shots are the ones most missed (to a degree) & this does get to him sometimes & I try to teach him not to get discouraged & take that feeling to the next lane, treat each shot as fun as it were.

Anything I am doing wrong here or even advice on me teaching my son would be really appreciated as the lad really enjoys the sport in general.

Meant to add although he does not have a high mag scope just yet he does use a Hawke Airmax 30 SF & shoots using his Mil Dots, he understands hold-over / under etc.
Atb
Ewan
Old 31st July 2016, 05:43 PM
Ewan

Some great advice from all of you, many thanks so far.
He enjoyed the few hours we had at the club, Dan gave him some tips for the seated position with his left hand steading the forend from underneath at his knee, cheek piece had to go down a touch, which surprised me, & the butt pad up a tad as it was too low & almost under his armpit as he normally shoots prone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC200 View Post
What id suggest is seeing as he doesnt have a scope that will range find ask if you can tag along with an experienced shot and ask them what the ranges are. If he can range targets himself by eye or bracketing thats great but if he cant then ask. Shooting at an unknown range target teaches nothing and will frustrate him. Concentrate on knocking targets over to start with, progress to ranging when youve got a scope capable of it.
That's a really good idea Steve, my ranging is pretty good now & my lad's is getting better the more he shoots now. What about if he laser ranges the target first then takes the shot, I understand that other members will help & call the ranges but this way we are not 'imposing' on other shooters (for now at least).

As we only shoot FT & HFT I guess a ranger that goes to 100 yards (ish) would do IF this sounds like a good idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith t View Post
Great to hear of young ones enjoying the sport and themselves.
For a smaller youngster, i would suggest not stressing too much with the standers. Positionals only account for about 20% of the shots and nearly half of those are kneelers, so concentrate on the sitting shots and make those count. Any standers are almost a bonus until he has grown into his setup.
There are various different positions for the 'sitting' shots. Let him experiment and find something that works for him. Has he tried the 'Dead mans position'? or the under the knee position? They work well for some although they look strange to many.
Most important is to practice, practice and then more practice. (as long as he still enjoys himself), the trigger time is the best way to improve those scores. Without a dedicated big focus scope for ranging, life will be a bit more tricky so he just needs to be reminded about this when he misses the odd few targets. Ranging is one of the big differences when compared to HFT, so get one of the experienced shooters to help him with the ranges and he will do fine.

ATB

kT
Keith he did do mainly seated shots today but he insisted on doing the standing lanes as that's what the notice told him to, I did say it doesn't matter while you get used to the change but he said no I will do it properly :-), he plated both but better than a doughnut & he hates standers.

I shall Google those two positions Keith & see what's what, you never know until you look at all the options maybe he could be doing it another way that's more comfortable for him.

Kids really do struggle with distance estimating & I wish he would ask my advice more on the ranges before taking the shot then getting annoyed early on, being in the building game all my life I find general ranging of targets fairly easy & I try to teach my lad not to commit to one range, what I mean is rather than say it's 35 yards get him to think of it maybe between 32 yards to 37, seems to have made a bit of difference to him, rather than looking for a right answer like a maths question this seems to give him options if you get what I mean.

Thanks again guys for the info so far, it's going to come in very handy. I have seen guys who are terrible shots & even surprised they know which end is which on a rifle, whereas our son seems to have taken to it very well so far, having people behind him watching doesn't phase him & he likes to ask questions.....a lot of questions :-)

Anyway enough waffling on, gotta clean the kit reay for next week.

Atb
Ewan
AR5s
Old 31st July 2016, 09:11 PM

Hi Ewan,

I didn't mean he must not do the positional targets, just don't worry about them as much. Easier to get say 70% of the sitting targets than 70% of the positionals.
In SA, it is illegal to use an electronic rangefinder and I would assume same rules apply there.

Examples of the alternative siting positions I mentioned

Under the knee hold:
https://postimg.org/image/jnntmf7vr/

Right hand picture = 'Deadmans'
https://www.google.co.za/search?q=fi...WaCO9SM50iM%3A