Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 24th July 2016, 08:47 AM

Default Airgun Licensing?

So, after the shooting of the toddler in Bristol his parents are campaigning for stricter licensing of airguns. Do you think that this could be effective or a nail in the coffin for new starters to the sport?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 24th July 2016, 09:44 AM

Member of: SCOTIA FTC

I've just finished filling in my application for my license now it's a waiting game to see how long it takes for the police to get back to me. As for putting people off it probably will but if the clubs can convince newcomers it's worth it then hopefully it could limit the damage.
Old 24th July 2016, 09:19 PM

Member of: Kingsley

If the owner of the airgun that shot the toddler had a licence, would it have stopped the toddler from being shot? Exactly

Scotland introduced licencing and once again it seems that the Scottish parliment are a sack of crap, they haven't thought it through at all and it won't stop the incidents they were trying to stop. They are way behind processing applications so some are licensed and some are not, what would happen if a group of airgun owners took their government to task over it I wonder?
Old 24th July 2016, 09:29 PM

Member of: harriers field target

it will not help matters.
Old 24th July 2016, 10:29 PM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

I read the newspaper report and the moron that did it should do life for stupidity, in fact I would go further to save taxpayers money to be honest. I did think that I read a statement saying that there were no plans to change the laws in light of this terrible tragedy, but I might have imagined it.

I can see the day looming though that we need to have a licence. I think that it will have to be thought out a bit better than the Scottish farce though. It would seem that although the SNP were voted in by the majority they dont seem to have a grip on reality. Do they not realise that only the honest trustworthy people will hand them in?

I can see the firearms licences actually increasing up there. After all if you have to licence up for an air rifle why not stick a .22 target rifle on as well?

Last edited by DEAN C.; 24th July 2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 25th July 2016, 06:26 PM

Member of: Kingsley

Dean your right, several people have openly stated that argument and applied for a firearms licence, just when you think that the clown in number ten has the edge on stupidity, along come the SNP haha.

And the best bit, they have made honest and decent people pay more for their hobby and had no effect whatsoever on the airgun crimes haha you gotta laugh.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:39 PM

In Scotland a firearm certificate wont cover you for an air rifle you will still need to apply for an air rifle permit which is completely mad but thats the snp for you.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:07 AM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
In Scotland a firearm certificate wont cover you for an air rifle you will still need to apply for an air rifle permit which is completely mad but thats the snp for you.
I thought that a current Scottish SGC holder was covered temporarily until renewal, or did that not get carried through.It was mentioned early on in the facade.

I wont be letting my SGC go just in case it comes down here.

It is all a complete farce and the idealists have not thought the practical side through at all. A lot of cost for no gain.
Old 26th July 2016, 07:04 AM

Your SGC will cover you until December but then you will need a separate air gun licence weather you have an SGC or a firearms certificate.
Old 26th July 2016, 09:17 AM

Member of: Cloybank

From my understanding your shotgun or firearm certificate covers you till it runs out then you need an air weapon certificate which will cost 5, So I`m okay for 4 years till my certificate runs out BUT I can`t buy an airgun without an air weapon certificate.