Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 18th July 2016, 08:26 PM

Member of: Mad

[QUOTE=tillygti6;241009]
(If anything I'd not want your trigger block touching the front or rear face )

I'd definitely second that!!
Over to you Rex!!

Oops serious thread vinny
Old 18th July 2016, 08:32 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D
Talking

[QUOTE=Old slider;241013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillygti6 View Post
(If anything I'd not want your trigger block touching the front or rear face )

I'd definitely second that!!
Over to you Rex!!

Oops serious thread vinny
Its not serious Ian ,just informative , as long as were all having fun, lol, everytime I say that to you its worth a point, one day youll realise , pressure off

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 18th July 2016, 08:50 PM

Member of: Mad

[QUOTE=vinny;241014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old slider View Post

Its not serious Ian ,just informative , as long as were all having fun, lol, everytime I say that to you its worth a point, one day youll realise , pressure off
Haha!you didn't look like you were having fun when you
Missed that s/stander:
That bloody pasty was hot!!(that's not a youth ism folks)lol
Old 19th July 2016, 12:04 PM

A glass bed is where more is taken out of the inlet and like a resin poured in then action is put in so it sets and touches evenly everywhere they do it on rifles vinny.mine touches all the way down action mate but mines highly tuned vinny and the lock time is so quick its unreal
Old 21st July 2016, 10:06 AM

I had a GINB FT stock on my Pro Sport with no issues. I think it's more of a PCP problem than o springer one. The PCP is expanding and reducing as you use it so stock fit meant is vital.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:19 AM

cheers guys , I have noticed the original has about 100mm of continual support at the aft end whereas the cs has a lot more removed , gonna have a tinker like you do and see what happens first is to get a bit more support at this point , looking what KC has mentioned look like it may well benefit .
Fair bit of rough wood in there now sanded flat . don't suppose that was helping keeping things stable

TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:48 AM

With standard stocks the main screw forward of the trigger tends to lock out through the trigger guard on the action lug with the stock inletted right through in the area of the lug. The stock is nipped to the action over the footprint of the trigger guard.

Custom stocks tend to be deeper in this area and one way or another require a longer action fixing screw and often the screw ends up pulling the entire underside of the action into the stock rather than just having a fixing relying on contact between the base of the trigger guard and the wood it rests against, controlled by the stock lug.

I'm fairly sure I had some big shift problems with my HW77/CS1000 caused by recoil induced flex of the long M7 main fixing screw that was used with no lug. It was unsupported over a fair amount of its length and the legacy of this flex could be seen in the backward smear of some mounting pads I experimented with between the stock and the action. Only on the shot movement of the action within the stock could cause this smear.

Strange thing is that I used the gun for years with little or no problem. After trying to 'improve' the inletting (smoothing it out) the problem emerged. I think the old imperfections may have previously prevented the action moving in the stock....
Old 21st July 2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simona View Post
With standard stocks the main screw forward of the trigger tends to lock out through the trigger guard on the action lug with the stock inletted right through in the area of the lug. The stock is nipped to the action over the footprint of the trigger guard.

Custom stocks tend to be deeper in this area and one way or another require a longer action fixing screw and often the screw ends up pulling the entire underside of the action into the stock rather than just having a fixing relying on contact between the base of the trigger guard and the wood it rests against, controlled by the stock lug.

I'm fairly sure I had some big shift problems with my HW77/CS1000 caused by recoil induced flex of the long M7 main fixing screw that was used with no lug. It was unsupported over a fair amount of its length and the legacy of this flex could be seen in the backward smear of some mounting pads I experimented with between the stock and the action. Only on the shot movement of the action within the stock could cause this smear.

Strange thing is that I used the gun for years with little or no problem. After trying to 'improve' the inletting (smoothing it out) the problem emerged. I think the old imperfections may have previously prevented the action moving in the stock....
hmm , think I know where your coming from , when I sit my action in the stock I have about 4mm between the wood trigger recess face and the forward mounting post face ( big screw post ), makes me wonder whether to almost washer this area up just in case the deeper inletting is actually splaying out a bit when you tighten it or causing a bit of movement, next thing I,m gonna check whether the action is sitting on the recess for the end radius of the trigger unit rather than the cradle it probably should be sitting on

Old 21st July 2016, 11:31 AM

Roger Moy always fills this gap with washers. He won the FT springer worlds about 11 years ago and generally hits lots of stuff with springers.

I would do this, or at least try it. I have now fitted a stock lug and shimmed the inlet hole in the stock so that there is no way on earth the action can do an unofficial SR and twang in the stock, there's nowhere to go. I've not shot the gun enough since to know how successful this new measure might be. The little dibbles I've had looked good though. As much as anything I'm now using a much shorter fixing screw which has to be good news.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:17 PM

So , finished the radius end , the bit where the trigger end section sits in the stock which had a fair bit of rough finishing , removed supporting inletting between before and aft supports either sides, one side seemed tighter than the other against the action,the original stock has no supports here , moved the cheeck piece right over by modding the inletting of the underneath , checked today with the skp and happy days , much better , and with a variety of holding positions , now grouping ok considering I was checking outside, 25mm at 55 yds will do me without the fun of pellet testing and shimming the areas aforementioned .... groan thats next
all shot off the floor

Last edited by vinny; 22nd July 2016 at 10:32 PM.