Shooting the breeze Rivers West, Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 29th September 2016, 12:39 PM
RobF's Avatar
RobF RobF is offline
My Empire of Dirt
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Location: Poole, Dorset
Posts: 10,641
Default

It's the first number

6 7.8.2015
4.51 S5 00

6 is the batch.

On JSB's it's the first or first two numbers. If there's an even amount of numbers it's the first 2, if it's uneven, it's the first one.

From memory i've got up to batch 54 or 56. But i've also got some single figure ones from this year.
__________________
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29th September 2016, 12:58 PM
Yorkshiretea's Avatar
Yorkshiretea Yorkshiretea is offline
B Grade Bandit
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member of: Anston FTC
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
It's the first number

6 7.8.2015
4.51 S5 00

6 is the batch.

On JSB's it's the first or first two numbers. If there's an even amount of numbers it's the first 2, if it's uneven, it's the first one.

From memory i've got up to batch 54 or 56. But i've also got some single figure ones from this year.
The S5 in the number is for the number of times the die has been used I believe. I've never seen one higher than 5.
__________________
BFTA Shop
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29th September 2016, 01:53 PM
RobF's Avatar
RobF RobF is offline
My Empire of Dirt
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Location: Poole, Dorset
Posts: 10,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
The S5 in the number is for the number of times the die has been used I believe. I've never seen one higher than 5.
I don't know about AA pellets, but i've got records and indeed had batches with higher die use numbers on that on JSB exact and JSB exact express, all the way up till 9. Question is what happens at 10???

I'm not sure what defines the die being 'used'. I've got the same batch number, with a different inspection number, both marked as 0. I've also got a batch where all the numbers are the same and it goes from 0 to 1 as well as going from 4.51 to 4.52

I've also got records showing die use number going from 2 in 4.52 to 9 in 4.51 with the same supposed batch number.

I kind of think that you want to match all the numbers, or else all bets are off.
__________________
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29th September 2016, 02:10 PM
Yorkshiretea's Avatar
Yorkshiretea Yorkshiretea is offline
B Grade Bandit
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member of: Anston FTC
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I don't know about AA pellets, but i've got records and indeed had batches with higher die use numbers on that on JSB exact and JSB exact express, all the way up till 9. Question is what happens at 10???
This one goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I'm not sure what defines the die being 'used'. I've got the same batch number, with a different inspection number, both marked as 0. I've also got a batch where all the numbers are the same and it goes from 0 to 1 as well as going from 4.51 to 4.52

I've also got records showing die use number going from 2 in 4.52 to 9 in 4.51 with the same supposed batch number.

I kind of think that you want to match all the numbers, or else all bets are off.
I've had S0 to S2 - most dies are marked after each run/ratio from my experience to denote wear but I've no idea how long a run actually is though. As for 4.51/52/53 I think that is mostly balls.
__________________
BFTA Shop
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29th September 2016, 02:58 PM
Darron's Avatar
Darron Darron is offline
Reformed Bandit
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Member of: Millride FTC
Location: Brownhills West Midlands
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
This one goes to 11



I've had S0 to S2 - most dies are marked after each run/ratio from my experience to denote wear but I've no idea how long a run actually is though. As for 4.51/52/53 I think that is mostly balls.
I'm not so sure Mart, I first used a known good batch of 4.52 in the FTP , I was shooting groups at 55 yards with Keith Hassell when he said try these 4.53 , I did and groups instantly went from 50p size to pinging a drawing pin. It could be that they were just an even better batch than the the 4.52 but I get the same results on different batches.
__________________
Jon Harris Anschutz 9015
March 80x
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29th September 2016, 03:06 PM
Yorkshiretea's Avatar
Yorkshiretea Yorkshiretea is offline
B Grade Bandit
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member of: Anston FTC
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron View Post
I'm not so sure Mart, I first used a known good batch of 4.52 in the FTP , I was shooting groups at 55 yards with Keith Hassell when he said try these 4.53 , I did and groups instantly went from 50p size to pinging a drawing pin. It could be that they were just an even better batch than the the 4.52 but I get the same results on different batches.


Air gauged JSB pellet head size distribution. no.3 = 4.49mm. no. 6 = 4.50mm. no. 10 = 4.51mm. no. 15 = 4.52mm. (source)

Could be a number of things but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that 4.XX means nothing but not to be confused with batches.
__________________
BFTA Shop
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29th September 2016, 03:12 PM
Darron's Avatar
Darron Darron is offline
Reformed Bandit
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Member of: Millride FTC
Location: Brownhills West Midlands
Posts: 812
Default

Fair play i ain't gonna argue with science bro. I had been putting all those misses down to me but now I see different!
__________________
Jon Harris Anschutz 9015
March 80x
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29th September 2016, 03:17 PM
Yorkshiretea's Avatar
Yorkshiretea Yorkshiretea is offline
B Grade Bandit
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member of: Anston FTC
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron View Post
Fair play i ain't gonna argue with science bro. I had been putting all those misses down to me but now I see different!
A lot of people have spent a lot of time looking at head size and weight in the average tin of pellets and the conclusion is always that they are all over the place. Have a look at that article for size and distribution, then consider you are probably resizing twice in the gun.

Pavel once told me in an email Rob that " - 0 (or S0) manufacturing batch on the particular die (zero means first batch after changing some tools)" This make sense because this use't to happen at a place I worked at as a kid over the summer, after the tool had done 10,000 the little old fella would replace some of the parts in the pressing tool
__________________
BFTA Shop

Last edited by Yorkshiretea; 29th September 2016 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AA Pellets v JSB's Batch types Tackleberry Hunter / Field Target 2 9th February 2014 09:13 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
shooting-the-breeze.com Skin design and concept by Attitude