Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 10th July 2016, 08:54 PM

Default FTP for HFT?

It is a beautiful rifle and I was wondering, is it any good for HFT?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10th July 2016, 09:02 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by airarmstommy View Post
Tom ,
never rush into a choice , go and try as many rifles as poss and go from there, theres neg ative press on loads of rifles , but yes its a good un with a bit of fettling , it does need a diet, though, dont know too many who use it, in its original clothing, probably suited to the larger shooter

g

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?

Last edited by vinny; 10th July 2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11th July 2016, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Vinny. I was shooting HFT with my trusty wee s410. The FTP caught my eye so I managed to get one and now I'm starting to work out holdovers. It is a bit heavier than the 410 but it is balanced through the hamster. I'm looking forward to trying it in HFT as it is a beautiful rifle but I think there is a lot to work out before it takes over from my S410.
Any advise is appreciated
Old 11th July 2016, 10:13 PM

Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Hello,

As HGH has advised, you should try as many as possie before you buy.

In my personal opinion a rifle costing over 1,000 should not need fettling to make it work properly. I have heard a couple of horror stories from someone who has worked on air arms and anschutz rifles for decades. He said that AA are trying different valves in them to see what work best?? Yes, trying different valves on rifles that they are sending out to the general public. He also said that he knew other things that AA would not want anybody to know about. He wouldn't even tell me what he was referring to. There are many owners of FTP900 that are very happy with them too. The more I look at it the more the rifle doesn't make sense as most people do away with most of the metal work at the front. Then it just becomes an EV2. FTP900 baffle me.

If you want a quality rifle where the parts are hand finished and assembled and then each rifle and barrel checked, buy a RAW. Good rifle

Most rifles are not perfect but some work better than others straight from the box

Happy shooting��

http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/

Last edited by James0807; 12th July 2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12th July 2016, 12:14 AM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I share a lot of James opinion that a huge proportion of rifles need some modifications to make them "right" after taking them out of the box, with maybe the exception of a few that are close enough to use as they come, but can still benefit from some tweaks. All the knowledge is out there, when a manufacturer takes it on board and produces what could quite easily be made for the same cost they will have a best seller on their hands! In the mean time they concentrate too much on making them to what they think looks nice because they see that as the reason people choose that rifle. Wouldn't it be good if it was chosen because it was actually a really great rifle, we can live in hope!!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:29 AM

Member of: Avon Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tench View Post
I share a lot of James opinion that a huge proportion of rifles need some modifications to make them "right" after taking them out of the box, with maybe the exception of a few that are close enough to use as they come, but can still benefit from some tweaks. All the knowledge is out there, when a manufacturer takes it on board and produces what could quite easily be made for the same cost they will have a best seller on their hands! In the mean time they concentrate too much on making them to what they think looks nice because they see that as the reason people choose that rifle. Wouldn't it be good if it was chosen because it was actually a really great rifle, we can live in hope!!
I couldn't agree more, and despite the FTP finally starting to turn into a good rifle, given Air Arm's previous experience, they could have so easily produced a winner from day one.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:15 PM

Member of: Buxted

Quote:
Originally Posted by airarmstommy View Post
The answer to your question is basically, YES.

I managed to buy one of the first when they were released, yes it did have an initial problem with an air leak which was sorted and not had a problem since. I even bought a second one as a spare just in case and I've never had to use it due to the other failing.

I agree with previous messages that removing the shroud, stripper etc from the front may be nessessary as it can be abit front heavy. I've done it to both of mine, bought carbon fibre tubes off eBay (14-16mm & 16-18mm) for shrouds and replaced the strippers and they are superbly accurate. Other than that I've not touched it internally. I compete every week in HFT and it's never let me down, I let it down mostly.

You have the choice of many rifles on the market and you will personalise it so it fits you. We all do it, changing hamsters, butt hooks, scopes even stocks of different colours, materials and lengths. But the FTP for me has a huge amount of adjustability and apart from the front end I've changed nothing.
Old 12th July 2016, 09:13 PM
Ewan

Member of: Iden Ferns

As the above have stated.
Mine blew it's air tank after the second week, four days at AA & it's been faultless, week to week out of the hard case the zero stays true, scarily so to be fair.

I shoot HFT with mine with no problems apart from trying not to mark it, as you say it's a nice bit of kit.
I bought UKNeils kit from him so it's lighter but apart from that it's as it was from new.

It will do one hole groups all day if you get a good un, try the 4.53 ammo.....stunning.
Good luck with your shooting.
AR5s