Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range/  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 23rd June 2016, 08:38 PM

Ah that's a bummer. I need to do a course with the old bids down the library or something.
Seriously I'm 30 and we just missed all this computers stuff. It's a bit of a burden in the last few years.
Well If your the sunny side of the river come to my work shop!
Your more than welcome to see how I do things.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:52 PM
I💗HFT

Member of: The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
Very interested in this thread as I have been thinking of this for a while.

I have even got an MPR barrel stashed away that I have shortened on a previous project for my EV2. I was thinking of either silencing or shrouding it to make it a good all rounder, that can be used for HFT and rabbiting, and for practice in the garden.
I love my Steyr, but think a well sorted and shortened EV2 could be the ultimate carbine.

Keep us informed how you get on.
I had an idea to shorten an ev2 ages ago but you won't sell me my old one back!

Currently in stock........

Steyr LG100 x2, Ripley AR5S x2, Walther Dommie x2, Walther LGV (Warren custom stock), hw77 x2, hw80 x2, hw100, hw98 Ginb, Stoeger x20s .22, Daystate mk4 in a custom laminate stock, mk1 huntsman ftr, cr94, Diana mod 50 + Gamo compact & Röhm twinmaster pistols

BASC
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:56 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Tis true, the Ginb BSA stock I have been using for years was originally Tommy's, I had Ginb make it for his EV barrelled BSA action that I built for him many years ago but he likes his light rifles and that stock was far from light! so I had it.

He has just made me a stock for my BSA Hornet action which I have converted to .22, the action is getting there and the stock will take it a step closer to knocking a few over!
Soon to be available for viewing at a shoot near you!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 28th June 2016, 10:25 PM

Member of: MidShires Marksmen
Default carbine ev2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tench View Post
Lol, no the barrel is on its way here to be shortened, tucked up in the same parcel as my new stock!
I've been doing a carbine ev2 for a while now. How much choke would you put back on the barrel after shortening?
Old 29th June 2016, 12:49 AM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Clark View Post
I've been doing a carbine ev2 for a while now. How much choke would you put back on the barrel after shortening?
I would always shorten from the other end and remachine the fitting into the action block and the breech o ring groove. If you cut the choke off and it looses accuracy then it is only good for the bin!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 29th June 2016, 01:55 PM

Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Short

Howdo . i couple of thoughts . i have been messing with a MK 1 EV2 . i choose that cos it is the cheapest and with the CZ barrel is probably the most accurate . i did not want to mess with the cylinder or barrel . so i decided to loose the weight from the stock . i shortened it at the front and chopped off the butt right back to the cheek piece adjusters and fitted a wegue butt pad . lighter / shorter . the snags then appeared . due to the reg pressure being higher on this rifle ( recomended i am told ) the barrel flipped , so you could not see the impact of the pellets , loss of information . the accuracy was still there but if you missed , problem . now i shoot FT ( badly ) so even with a big scope on top it was difficult to get the rifle to settle on the longer shots ( too light ) . better for kneelers and standers but there are a lot more sitters . when shot against my bull pup there was no contest the pup won hands down , weight , balance , sitters standers , kneelers all better with the pup . luck with it ??? HOLLY

PS i think a walnut stock would be lighter than a laminate stock , good looking as it is .
Old 29th June 2016, 03:24 PM

Il soon find out what it's like with the lower weight and short barrel, but compared to what I have been using hopefully this will be an improvement. Luckily it's all refitable back to stock should it be a donkey. .... well apart from barrel.

Having been shooting lots of tiny carbines, the flip issue can be dialed out . With my ev2 barreled bsa.the biggest single improvement was to fit an mpr air stripper. I guess the down venting slots helped steady the sight picture on releasing a shot. ?
In my experience it's also not just about the weight of the rig. That can be fairly low if some thought has gone into keeping the rig well balanced.

Your right about the walnut,it's generally much lighter than laminate comparitively.
Poplar is lighter still but, it's nowhere near as strong as walnut, I've used It extensively the last couple years and not a fan.
Old 13th July 2016, 08:51 PM

Today my barrel arrived back immaculately trimmed down.
Along with a lighter more refined collar to sit in the breech.
Set about putting it all back together.
It was immediately obvious that the weight feels significantly less and in this stock with the heavy cheek posts ,very much rear biased.
I took it up the workshop to set the power etc.
The reg came preset at 95 bar.
So hoped it would just be a case of tweek the hammer spring to bringnit up a tad.
After a frustrating period with the chrono giving some very erratic figures. Some very low.some very high! I had to consult my tame gunsmith. Apparently it doesn't have the air capacity to make the savagely high figures I was seeing.so it had to be the combro.......
With the short barrel it was presumably seeing the air blast or something.
Luckily I have a silencer so popped that on and jobs a good un.
I had to short fill as the dive bottle is getting low but was getting an spread of 11 fps over 45 shots. So not bad considering unweighted pellets etc.
The slight downside for me is that I have run out of preload on the hammer! So I will have to get some time on the lathe to trim a few bits up.

I did get a quick chance to throw some pellets down the range, it pulled some average groups with some of my favoured jsb 8.4s (fx branded)
So will obviously need some pellet testing
There's definately some muzzle flip. Not a huge amount and swapping from the rowan stripper to an mpr one halfed it in an instant

Importantly it feels great too hold,too point, and manoeuvre. Certainly the compromises seem worth the hassle.
At the moment.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:10 PM

Member of: Nelson FTC

I've an EV2 with a shortened Anschutz barrel. Shaun Hill put one of his regs in and from memory I think he set it at around 110 bar. The standard AA reg, at factory set pressure, could only make 745 fps with the short barrel.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:59 PM

This one's set at 95 bar apparently. I've got a pretty consistent 775 with the transfer screw backed off.
But I'm going to increase the hammer stroke a bit and go from there.
Does yours get warm. As it comes off the reg?