Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 23rd June 2016, 04:58 PM

Default Carbine ev2 build thread. Updated 29/10/16

Alot of guys have shown intrest recently in lightening the ev2, I guess It becomes quite unwieldy in ft format with a huge scope and all the add ons.
I'm building this one as my new hft rig.
There's a few things I've picked up along the way that may be helpful. ...
I've always entrusted my tame gunsmith(tench), with my toys but seeing as we're are about 4.5 hours away from each other ,i though it best that I build the gun to be as easily serviced and looked after with only basic tools and even more basic knowledge.

The first step was to fit an s400 carbine cylinder (straight swap)
Swapped out the tbar fill valve for foster qf fitting .
The barrel is going to be shortened to around the 14" mark.
I wanted to keep to a laminate stock so removed a fair bit of wood from inside the inlet .the cheek posts are titanium . I have previously used carbon ,so it's a bit of an experiment .
The biggest hurdle for me was going to be the standard regulator. Increasing the pressure a bit ,for the shorter barrel I certainly couldn't do.
As it happens huma have just released an ev2 specific reg. These are very easily adjusted for output pressure and have proven to be pretty good for the money. So I've got one of the first.
I had too lose the gauge and spirit level but that's really not a problem. Also shaves a tad off the weight.
Il be honest I'd have prefered one of Simons regs as I've had such good performance from them from the very early days, but weel see how this one goes.
It's nowhere near finished as yet and will likely be along time in the making . Once the barrel is back I will. Weigh it all up,but it certainly feels good and alot lighter so far.
Cheers guys!

Last edited by tillygti6; 29th October 2016 at 05:15 PM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 23rd June 2016, 05:06 PM

Member of: Millride FTC
Default Wow

Now that's a carbine, does the pellet load straight into the choke

Last edited by Ratinator; 23rd June 2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 23rd June 2016, 05:47 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
Now that's a carbine, does the pellet load straight into the choke
Lol, no the barrel is on its way here to be shortened, tucked up in the same parcel as my new stock!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:07 PM

Member of: Millride FTC
Default Pointless

Why go to all that trouble to reduce the weight and then use a bird bath for a hamster
Looks very nice and I'm sure mr tench will do a super job on your barrel
Simon
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:15 PM

Haha yeah it's a bit heavy !
Bloody gardens underwater after last nights downpour!

Yeah its in good hands, can't wait to get it back together and see how it performs .
I have a chopped down ev2 barrel in one of my bsa's and it's fantastic. Seems like the higher reg presure and short barrel has improved the bc of the pellets. Fly very flat indeed. Either that of my chrono is duff.....
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:18 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D
Default interesting

Hope it works out well mate , sure it will, no doubt Si will wave his wand at it ( dont google that either ), are you having a Bsa barrell too?
I, m probably going down a similar route with the 900, just waiting for a test pilot to iron out a few issues , be interested how it works out , specially with respect to any barrel flip you may or not encounter ,
look forward to hearing your comments

btw why do you only advertise your stocks to facebook acount holders

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:42 PM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Very interested in this thread as I have been thinking of this for a while.

I have even got an MPR barrel stashed away that I have shortened on a previous project for my EV2. I was thinking of either silencing or shrouding it to make it a good all rounder, that can be used for HFT and rabbiting, and for practice in the garden.
I love my Steyr, but think a well sorted and shortened EV2 could be the ultimate carbine.

Keep us informed how you get on.
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:49 PM

Hi vinny, currently yes only via Facebook purely as iam really not that good with computers and stuff. I have big plans but it's so far from my comfort zone it's taking a bit of time..
I can answer any questions by pm here though.

As an idea I've had an ev2 barrel at 13.5 inches for along time now on my last hft rig. It had a little flip. Nothing to really affect the accuracy.
Si then shortened the the stroke.upped the reg pressure and it smoothed off alot.
The best thing I did was fit a silencer! It killed the flip immediately, mabee it was the extra weight on the end of the barrel who knows but the sight picture was very still. And to be fair the triggers are cack on the bsa in comparison to the eV.that's the main reason I looked towards another rig.
If this reg fits the ftp,it surely will help alot of us with carbine and unusual builds to look after our own guns.
It was easy to fit. Just had to make some soft jaws out of a bit of scrap laminate. To remove the factory one.it was dead tight.
Iam handy with the spanners, but iam not the most refined....

The reason I started building stocks was also in the pursuit of accuracy. I had a few awesome actions but all the stocks looked nice, but didn't fit as they ought or offer anything to help improve my accuracy. I had many topend stocks but none of them did it for me.
Even Simons last ginb was mine. I Had it made. Liked good on paper but just didn't suit. So i do things differently now.......
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:54 PM

Dean, I've plans to make a decent shroud for the short barrel, and refit the standard cylinder. That should remove any traces of muzzle flip and be near silent for garden practice and a bit of magpie bashing.
Weel see. This will be an ongoing project.

Iam going to see how light I can make a stock that retains its integrity.
Poplar is very light but also very fragile ,and not very temperature stable either.I've used it extensively the last few years and not really a fan.
Walnut is pretty strong comparitely. I could sure remove alot more wood from a walnut blank and retain the strength.
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:32 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Member of: M.A.D
Default empathy on that

Yeah know what you mean on computers, spend my life on them dealing with an IP platform but dont do social media , contrary to popular belief this is the only forum , media I have ever been involvd with, I have seen that you can open a facebook site to general public , the reason I mention it as I have a new stock comng for my 200 and tried your site and was denied access, anyhoo look forward to hearing from your project

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals, Sake-San's lube regime.
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?