Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 1st June 2016, 09:38 PM
Member of: mill ride
Default FT scope

this seems to be a midfield, as a new to FT shooter i am looking for a decent quality scope..(not star-ship money ) but it looks like i am steered towards putting a few more & buying new just for piece of mind & guarantee...
where do i go ? as i know different shooters have different i go new big Nikko (cheapest ive seen is 675 delivered ) or do i go Sightron ? or is there some other scope ive over looked ? .
only Question with Sightron is would you go for the FT version thats 8 to 55 yds or the other model with the Hash ret that goes out to 65 yds ? ? im asking this question because ive heard of scope shift due to temp change which may cause the 55 yd Sightron to lock out a few yds short ...any advice would be a poor shot at the moment & my theory once ive got a half decent set up then is down to me to knuckle down & practice more (ive got a AA 900 at the mo. so i know thats a decent enough gun ), many thanks in advance
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 1st June 2016, 10:10 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Look through as many as you can within your price range and go from there. It's all about how easily you can determine ranges between 50-55 as the main priority. Be very objective when you assess this. Can you do it, how easily and how repeatable is it?

Lots of scopes shift their ranging in temperature, that's something that has to be learnt.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 1st June 2016, 10:38 PM

My advice would be to look through as many ft shooters scopes as you can ranging on 55 yard targets to see if they repeat ,and looking for brightness and clarity down to 30 mag.You need to also think about weather you can shoot all your shots on a high mag scope ie fixed mag or weather you need the flexibility of being able to lower the mag for your standard and kneelers.up to this year the last brand new scope I had was a Simmons going back to the late80"s and most have done a good job and if not I have either sold them on or px them for a nother without losing to Much money.I know you have been very unlucky recently but it doesn't always work out that way.If you can cope with shooting everything on40 mag try and buy a second hand leupold comp .they are very good in temp and are need to try first as they have a long field of view.(don't snap in as quick)about 700 used,over a grand to shooters they will always give you there thoughts on things.cheers Andy
Old 1st June 2016, 10:56 PM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

My advice would be to post in the correct sub forum.
This is the HFT area for all the kiddies not allowed to play with their toys
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 2nd June 2016, 07:25 AM
A grade and staying there
Member of: Tondu. Harriers, Avon Hawks. Oaktree.
Default No Ft forum?

Originally Posted by Conor View Post
My advice would be to post in the correct sub forum.
This is the HFT area for all the kiddies not allowed to play with their toys
is it? I thought it was for both Hunter FT and Field Target?

Lots of good 2ndhand options for scopes, Big Nikko with all add ons for 450 -525 ish
Leups 500 - 750 ish
Sightron 800 ish

Try before you buy, that's the same for new or 2nd hand.
BFTA Grading Question to

Updated Bfta % by region and grade,44.0.html

[B] [SIZE="3"]Photos on BFTA Fbook page, tall and short !!