Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th May 2016, 03:15 PM
Member of: Bisley
Default FT help i Need something lighter

Hello All

Ok I have missed you all while ive been recuperating So I'm hoping to be much better physically in time for winter league.

my previous set up of ev2 and big nikko is now going to be too much for me.
So with all your knowledge what can I do to help with my heavy set up?

Do I sell up and buy something else (I did love my s400) and if so what's the suggestions and possible cost of such things also where to buy.

Fiddle with what i've got if so what do I need and whom to get things from.

regards LOOPY xx
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th May 2016, 03:30 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Loops, i'd really resist changing the rig as when you were on form you really got on well with both scope and gun.

I wonder if you can have material removed from the stock. I think the cylinders on the EV2 are steel, so perhaps someone does an ally or titanium one..?

Apart from that i'd look at how the gun balances... a heavy gun can feel lighter balanced well and vice versa.

The only light scopes I know are the Leup comps and the march 60's. The comps are fixed and I think coming from a nikko you'd take some time to get to grips with it, and the march which I think you'd get on with just costs and arm and a leg.

Stick a picture up of the rig and see what can be cut off, drilled out, or exchanged...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 18th May 2016, 03:51 PM
Member of: Emley f t c
Default Rig

Warren is makeing light weight stocks for ev2
zenith p800 March 60
Zenith f t p
2016 GP A grade winner

Last edited by maddog; 18th May 2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 18th May 2016, 04:33 PM

How about the blonde stock for the ev2?
Old 18th May 2016, 05:35 PM
version 2.0
Member of: Castle

my 13 year old son uses a ev2 leup comp ally cylinder and poplar stock its ridiculously lite and he loves it p.s he is a small slight lad , the only thing that he struggles with is the overall length .
nikkos are dead heavy . but comps are fixed .
walther lg300 dominator titanium gemini ajp shiny things leupold 40x comp

filthy zenith ev2 lannyman stock leup 40 mega

The goal you set is the goal you get
Ripd 2015

if in doubt choke em out !
Old 18th May 2016, 05:52 PM
Member of: Hereward FT&ARC

Scopewise, you'd be hard pressed to beat a Bushy 8-32 for weight, although it means getting on with front focus. Elite 6500s are light and sidewheel, but a bit hit 'n miss when it comes to repeatability at the longer ranges.

If you can find one, a Leup VX3 20-50 is light, and at least gives you some degree of zooming down for those nasty standers!

Hereward FT&ARC
Old 18th May 2016, 06:02 PM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

will a s400 carbine cylinder go on the ev2 sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong we were going to go that route for our dil but he preferred the weight
Old 18th May 2016, 07:17 PM
Member of: Nelson FTC

I've an EV2 with titanium cylinder and barrel sleeve. It has an ISP reg and Anschutz barrel so the only thing still EV2 is the block. I'm willing to sell it as I no longer use it. If you want to loan it for a little while to see how you get on with it that's fine.
Old 18th May 2016, 07:48 PM

I'd avoid poplar personally.with What you have to add in to keep its strength, you'd be better with walnut. It's stronger, doesn't damage half as easily either.and something well designed can be as light.
There's alot of bulk in the adjusters and rails on the ev2 stock. A fitted stock,without the bells and whistles will save a fair whack

As said the scope is a fair lump, but I'd think if your used too it ,best keep it.
The ev2 cylinder can be replaced with an s400 carbine one. Will save a bit and bring the weight rearward. Certainly cheaper than titanium bits.
Even swapping the fill valve to a foster fitting saves a little of the front end. Depends how far you want to go?
Fancy a custom stock? Drop me a line.
Tilly's gun stocks
Old 29th May 2016, 06:44 PM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Cut

I am at the mo trying to lighten and shorten a EV2 . the action is not too bad but the stock is to long . if you take off the air arms butt hook and bring it up to your shoulder , the rifle feels lighter straight away cos the weight has been brought back towards you . you could cut off the butt right back to the cheek piece adjusters and then use a wegu butt pad . you would need an extension to the scope rail so as to see through the scope properly . then if you sell/trade the nikko in for a T 50 falcon . you save a pound in weight as well . plus the T50 is a very similar scope to the nikko to use ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "