Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 13th May 2016, 09:23 PM

Member of: KSG, Misfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
I'll check at the range Matt, but I 'think' I've got some die 1 4.53's in.

So far I've found most of the 2016 batches I've had have been pretty good, some have been awesome.
Cheers Brian, let me know if you can help. I can try some of your batches when I next come up. I was getting literally the pellet through the same pellet hole shot after shot at 40y with the good batch I was using and 15+mm groups with occasional fliers with the current batch. I shot about 50 in a row like this, gave the barrel a pull through and then flicked back onto my old pellets and the groups instantly tightened. I then tried the new batch after another pull through and had the same larger grouping issue. They also seem a little more unpredictable in the wind and those fliers I have been getting are really wild by comparison.

I've only got 100 left now so am really really low.

Lesson learned though if I find something I like at the range I'll be ordering many sleeves in one hit
Old 13th May 2016, 09:57 PM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5mith View Post
Lesson learned though if I find something I like at the range I'll be ordering many sleeves in one hit
yeah, that's kinda biting me in the *** right now.. Now that we take card payments at the range, I'm finding I'm selling out of pellets quickly all the time. Someone will come in, try out a pellet and then buy all the tins we have in stock
Old 13th May 2016, 10:00 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

give it a few weeks and you'll be able to sell remoulds
Old 13th May 2016, 10:07 PM

Member of: KSG, Misfits

Empty boot of car-check
Full tank of gas- check
Cash card- check
Both guns cleaned- check
Relieve Brian of all the pellets that I can afford and spend next 6 months hassling him for more- check
Old 13th May 2016, 10:12 PM
I💗HFT

Member of: The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT

Just to throw a small spanner in the works. My barley barrelled Steyr groups really REALLY well with AA die 9's indoors, & in a LIGHT wind, BUT in a strongish wind it's shite! Un predictable, with high & low shots too? I'd trade group size @ 45yrds for wind predictability any day!
More testing required but not found anything that groups like die 9 yet to compare in the wind?

Currently in stock........

Steyr x2, RAW TM1000, Ripley AR5S x2, Air Arms TX 200 mk1, Walther Dommie x2, Walther LGV x2 (one in a Warren custom stock), hw97k, hw77 x2, hw80 x2, hw100, Stoeger x20s .22, Diana 470th, Diana mod 50 + Röhm twinmaster match & Umarex .357 python pistols

BASC
Old 13th May 2016, 10:42 PM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyFinn View Post
Just to throw a small spanner in the works. My barley barrelled Steyr groups really REALLY well with AA die 9's indoors, & in a LIGHT wind, BUT in a strongish wind it's shite! Un predictable, with high & low shots too? I'd trade group size @ 45yrds for wind predictability any day!
More testing required but not found anything that groups like die 9 yet to compare in the wind?
Ah that's not a spanner, that's just another investigation. I had the same thing with Falcon Accuracy Plus and also those tin dynamic things. In no wind, awesome!! - slightest breeze and groups open up massively.

What I think though, is if you find a batch that group well indoors and in wind, I think there's a very good chance it'll be just as good in most barrels.

I also think that you're unlikely to find a pellet that groups well in wind but badly indoors - the trick is finding one that works well both indoors and outdoors, but once you do they'll probably be good in all your rifles (or at least most of them). Well apart from Steyr's - they tend to be a bit weird.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:53 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Quote:
Drawing conclusions about pellets when shooting Steyrs is like asking like asking a lady of the night for directions.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:57 PM
Steyr Convert

Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Quote:
Put your CZ barrel on!! Or sell me the die 9's back!
I was shooting die 9's in the breeze at Harrogate and did ok, and my daughter was shooting die 2's and shot well enough.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 13th May 2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:12 PM

Member of: castle

Do Long Range Bench Rest shooters use one batch inside and another outdoors if they are using 8.4s ?
Old 13th May 2016, 11:20 PM
I💗HFT

Member of: The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Drawing conclusions about pellets when shooting Steyrs is like asking like asking a lady of the night for directions.
My other barley twist barrel Steyr doesn't group that well with the die 9's BUT seems to take less wind AND shouts a bit "flatter" (out to 45 yrds anyway) with them??? Like Rob says Steyrs seem to buck the trend pellet wise?

Currently in stock........

Steyr x2, RAW TM1000, Ripley AR5S x2, Air Arms TX 200 mk1, Walther Dommie x2, Walther LGV x2 (one in a Warren custom stock), hw97k, hw77 x2, hw80 x2, hw100, Stoeger x20s .22, Diana 470th, Diana mod 50 + Röhm twinmaster match & Umarex .357 python pistols

BASC