Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 12th May 2016, 08:26 PM

Member of: KSG, Misfits
Default JSB pellet question

I was using JSB exacts 8.44g 4.53s batch number 1565415 2 4.53. The skirts were thick, the hollow was deep and each pellet was of really good quality. Both my guns loved these pellets. Intershoot has run out of 4.53s so I'm currently using 4 tins I got off someone, again 4.53s but this time batch number 45480015 2 4.53. My Steyr has been cleaned before use and groups I'm getting are not the best, the pellets do not sit as snug in the barrel either. In fact they near enough fall out of the barrel if I load when not level. I've not got my TX to try them through currently.

I'm sure this has been done to death but I'm after the same pellets but I'm unsure what to go for. If I again order from intershoot when they come in would I be right in assuming 15, the first two figures, are the die numbers so I'd be looking for any pellet beginning with the same numbers?

Or is it all trial and error?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12th May 2016, 09:27 PM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

Yours are die 1 not die 15.

Your number: 1565415 2 4.53

- 1 die number
- 56 personal number of the employee in quality control department
- 54 personal number of the employee in production who made the pellets
- 15 year of production
- 2 manufacturing batch on the particular die
- 4,53 head diameter

I find it best to always start from the right side (year) and work back to the left in 'sets of two digits' at a time and what's left at the front is the die number, so for a die 15 it would look like 15565415 2 4.53 ....

You will not get the same performance from purchasing more tins UNLESS the WHOLE number is identical, so once you find a tin that suits your barrel, always buy as many as you can afford ....

Last edited by TonyF; 12th May 2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 07:25 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

I'll check at the range Matt, but I 'think' I've got some die 1 4.53's in.

So far I've found most of the 2016 batches I've had have been pretty good, some have been awesome.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:13 AM

Member of: Avon Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
So far I've found most of the 2016 batches I've had have been pretty good, some have been awesome.
SOME? We need batch numbers, dates, operator number, inside leg measurements, etc etc.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:18 AM
Allowed in Sales

Die 4 marked up at 4.51 JSB Exacts is awesome!

Good luck finding any though, I've bought them all and they're not for sale
Old 13th May 2016, 08:20 AM

Member of: Avon Hawks

SWINE!

It's not fair, you just can't beat these 'trade insiders', they get all the best info first.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:11 AM
Allowed in Sales

It dawned on me that I'm in the perfect position to do some objective pellet testing using a much larger range of guns and barrels than anyone else.

I'll just explain that

As most people on here know, I run the Doncaster Airgun Range (well Leanne does really, but I'm there quite a bit).

Anyhoo... I don't like to sell people random tins of pellets in case they don't work well in their gun, so we offer a sample pack of each of our batches - 100 pellets for 2 ( yeah, I know we make a little bit of extra profit on those, but if you saw our overheads you'd understand why )

When I sell those sample packs, I make a point of going over and asking how they performed and if I can sneak a peek at their group sizes at 45 yards.

What I'm seeing is something that challenges what I previously believed, and that is - that one batch of pellet might be awesome in one barrel but crap in another.

The trend I'm seeing is that a batch that is just ok, will be just ok in everything - we're talking a sample size of maybe 30 different guns, so not hugely conclusive, but probably more conclusive than most other testing.

A batch that is awesome, will vary a little from awesome to totally mega in pretty much every gun.
Some batches will group extremely well but will drop more than other batches - and that tends for be true again for pretty much every gun. The boxed JSB Premiums tend to group very well in everything, but drop lower than normal too - they would be my choice for BR for pretty much any gun.

I've only conducted these tests on 2016 batches of JSB Exacts and also on random AA batches and Daystate batches that people bring into the range - so I don't know how true it is of other years, I suspect it might be equally true though.

Batches I've found to be good :

If you have a PCP (especially an AA or Daystate) these batches will be good or mega in your gun :
Die 34, Die 9, Die 10, Die 47 seemed excellent too but I only had 5 tins to test.

If you have a springer (TX, LGU, 77/97) these will be good :
Die 19, Die 4, Die 10, Die 31
  • Die 4 (4.51) are available as JSB's (well they would be if I hadn't bought all of them )
  • Die 9 (4.52) is available as AA & JSB
  • Die 10 (4.52 and 4.51) is available as AA, Daystate, JSB,
  • Die 19 (4.51) are available as JSB's
  • Die 31 (4.51) is available from AA
  • Die 34 (4.51) is available as AA or JSB

It's hard to find something that works consistently well in Steyr's with a standard barrel. I'm not saying I haven't seen good groups from them, but the results are variable and I suspect it has more to do with the barrel cleaning regime of the owner than the pellets they're using.

So I should also qualify my statement about 'Most guns'. I'm finding that AA's and Daystates are pretty consistent - if a pellet works well in one EV2 it will probably work well in other EV2's, FTP's, MPR's, S4xx etc..

The outliers tend to be from HW100's and Steyrs. We don't get enough TM1000's, FWB's and Anschutz in the range for me to form any sort of conclusion yet. Most HW100's are pretty good with everything, some of them can be fussy though, and Steyr's well.. it depends I suspect on how often the owner cleans the barrel because I'm seeing variable results from the one's that I've looked at group sizes for.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:53 AM
55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Does the range go out to 55yrds Brian?
Old 13th May 2016, 12:03 PM

Member of: SCOTIA FTC

Do you have any results for Walthers mate.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:14 PM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
Does the range go out to 55yrds Brian?
It's only out to 50 yards unfortunately, but we only have 1 lane that can stretch to 50 yards the rest of them only go to 45 yards. Most of the checking I've done has been when people are testing groups at 45 yards though.

It could be that those extra 10 yards make a huge difference. My assumption is that the groups would be a bit bigger but it's unlikely that you'd see a mega batch turn into a shite batch over that last 10 yards.

It's also indoors so it may be that a pellet that's mega indoors ends up being crap when shot outdoors.

Them's the constraints I'm working under, so take that into consideration before drawing any conclusions from what I've found.

So far, I haven't drawn any solid conclusions.. from what I've seen (given those constraints) I'm starting to form a theory that perhaps it's not all down to gun and barrel.. it may be that a great batch is great in pretty much everything and a shite batch is shite in pretty much everything.