Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 25th April 2016, 09:49 PM

I *LOVE* my Leupold Comp 40x!

I have a 4" wheel on it and range near-to-far fairly quickly, stop when it's sharpest. I note the yardage, then range again just to make sure I get the same number. If these 2 numbers are different, I'll do it a 3rd time (and pay a bit more attention this time). I use a close focus adapter for anything less than 11 yards.

This works for me, and I sometimes take along my laser rangefinder to record the distances after I'm done my lane (most of our matches are informal and everyone trusts one another) and the 40x is never more than 1 yard off, if at all.

It has taken me awhile to achieve this level of confidence though, compared to a Nikko 10-50, it's more difficult to use.

I've also tested the ranging at various temperatures, from about 8C to over 25C and haven't experienced any temperature shift - I'll never sell this Leupy - it's my scope.

I sold my 35x because the depth of field was too long & I couldn't "learn it". I still have my 45x (which really 'snaps' into focus when compared to the 40x) but I just don't 'trust it' like my 40x - I haven't done as much testing with it, but I think it's a bit temperature sensitive.
CAFTA Governor
CDN Field Target
Old 26th April 2016, 11:45 AM
Member of: NRC

I've just got one of these scopes. Haven't had a chance to set it up, but you need to look at detail as opposed to the image being in focus. At 50 yds I can see small pebbles, twigs come in and out of focus when they are a yard apart. Amazing scope imo?
Old 26th April 2016, 12:13 PM
Reformed Bandit
Member of: Millride FTC

i can see the same detail BUT make a mark on your side wheel and then try and repeat it again and see if you land on the same mark
When I was 5 I wanted to be like George Best
At 10 I wanted to be Nigel Mansell
At 40 I wanted to be like Tiger Woods
At 50 I want to be like Gilly
Just shows how life can kick you in the nads
Old 26th April 2016, 12:27 PM
Member of: Purley Chase ftc
Default There's your answer

Originally Posted by avfc1982 View Post
i can see the same detail BUT make a mark on your side wheel and then try and repeat it again and see if you land on the same mark
That's why they have to be learnt Darrin. The optics are incredibly good , far superior to a nikko but that creates issues . I think there is a video of Niel Daniels at north oxon shooting a lane, quick and repetative . If you try and fine tune for too long your eye will do the job for you and that will give inconsistency .
Things will get worse before they get better.
About as much use at field target , as a life guard at the Olympic swimming pool.
Old 26th April 2016, 05:54 PM
A grade and staying there
Member of: Tondu. Harriers, Avon Hawks. Oaktree.

Took me about a week to learn mine.

I turn the wheel slowly and stop when its sharp
BFTA Grading Question to

Updated Bfta % by region and grade,44.0.html

[B] [SIZE="3"]Photos on BFTA Fbook page, tall and short !!
Old 27th April 2016, 07:10 AM
I Love HFT

Some people just don't get on with the Comps. It took me a couple of weeks to learn how to use them.
I range find on the fibres sticking out of the reset string or if the target is mounted on a tree I range find on the bark or the fixing band.
Less is more.

More or less.
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:39 PM

I can't speak to the 40 Comp. All mine are 35's. I've found that during range finding it helps to focus my eye on reticle detail ( such as a MIldot) until I get close. That help preventing with my eye changing focus due to the clarity of the Leupy image.

I range far to near, pass through the focus so I know what clear is, then return and focus the wheel until the image just begins to blurr on the far side of the focused image null band.

Very accurate and repeatable, however you have to note that due to the span between markings on the Comp series scopes it's unlikely that you'll come back to the exact same spot. What I look to accomplish is to learn the scope until a rangefinding sample of 10 tries end up in a band of 1 1/2 yards width from 50 to 55 yards.

I've had to calibrate all my scope for temperature. Once done they're freaking repeatable.

Old 3rd May 2016, 07:46 PM

What's your side wheel diameters?
Old 4th May 2016, 12:15 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Diameter makes no difference. The centre of a small wheel turns the same speed as the centre of a big one. The only way you can change that is to turn it faster. It's like saying time changes when you look at a watch and look at the clock on the side of the town hall.

Leupolds take learning. Their characteristic is not to 'snap' in as much as other scopes which appear to snap into focus. This means they need care and consistency and time learning what their ability to resolve is. If you are focusing on something big or vague then that may mean it's visible and in focus for a wide range of distance. Focus on something smaller and it will be in focus for less. But because of the slow focus style of the scope you need to get there fast or else your eye's muscles will cheat and pull the image into focus before it actually is.

There are other scopes out there and not everyone gets on with them all to the same degree.

Objectively analyse your rangefinding capability with different techniques and find which one works for you. Prove it to yourself. It's the best way to learn, then you know what's best for you.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 4th May 2016, 01:26 PM
Member of: NOFTC

I'm on Comp 45 but IMO consistency of method is king.

I make sure my eye is focused as much as possible on the reticle (Pain with a target dot) and then rotate the wheel counter clockwise (near to far) and as soon as the image becomes clear I know my range. I don't turn too fast but try to keep a consistent movement of the wheel.

I have found that if I rock the wheel my eye loses focus on the ret and starts focusing on the target and then my eye adjusts so there is no real difference between 48 or 53 so not much use!

I moved up from a small wheel (78mm to a 112mm) and have found it easier to range with.

FYI my competition scores do not reflect my range finding ability rather my inability to sit/kneel/stand still
  • Daystate MK4 (No electrocutions yet ) GC laminate stock w/ Leupold comp. 45
  • Daystate MK4 TH (Still no electrocutions ) w/Hawke Panorama 3-12 40
Slowly working my way through every conceivable way to miss tin chickens!