Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th April 2016, 08:19 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Default Nockover FT target modifications

One thing (apart from the massive amount of effort put in) from yesterday's GP that I think helped keep the amount of stoppages low was the target preparation. Taking a short cut and being able to borrow Newbury's target set meant that we had targets that have had simple modifications made to keep the issues to a minimum, if not eliminate them. It's not that Meon's weren't any good, it's just that i've worked with NARC's before and know they're a sure bet for solid performance.

Apart from them being well oiled I noticed that the chain had been replaced with a bar link, when hangs below the hinge face. This means the chain & string cannot get caught on the faceplate. Any other mods that people can post about that helps reliability?

Ratchet straps and shaped plates for the targets to sit on, with simple bolts meant fast positioning and removal, and allows easy tweaking to get targets level, upright, and facing the shooter.

I also noticed that that when winding a string back up around the brick tie, it's better if there isn't loops around it's waist, and that the string goes end to end... as it makes it much faster as you walk the string out. The standard orange string seems to work well also, as it seems to slide well if it does rub against anything.

It's not the first time i've noticed these points, but though it's worth documenting the changes. If we make courses run easier, easier to build and strip, then it makes the work load lighter.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th April 2016, 08:55 AM
A grade and staying there
Member of: Tondu. Harriers, Avon Hawks. Oaktree.

Good points Rob.
BFTA Grading Question to

Updated Bfta % by region and grade,44.0.html

[B] [SIZE="3"]Photos on BFTA Fbook page, tall and short !!
Old 18th April 2016, 09:11 AM

Put em closer??

I find that problems can be avoided by regular oiling our clubs targets also have a bar link

Last edited by dave croucher; 18th April 2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:22 AM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

When putting Alpha course out at the worlds it was noticed that many of the targets were still very well lubed from the previous year. I had supplied spray tins of fork truck mast chain lube last and this year to lube them. This is a very water resistant lube which is also not expensive, it may not have the anti fling ability that a motor bike chain lube has but seems to resist being washed off by the weather much better.

A lubed target is much less likely to jam up when the paddle twists from a very off centre shot.
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:24 AM

The other that we use on the island is a 12 inch length of cycle chain that way the string is kept out of the way and less change of shooting the string. A split ring on the end for the string to attach to.

With regarding syrings a carabiner and a large fishing swivel makes fitting and retrieving the strings when breaking down the course quicker.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:34 AM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

It's a real pain but worth the effort and the target looks like new afterwards, scraping off all the old layers of paint that has built up over time on both the paddle and faceplate.
It takes about 10mins max per target, best to wash the target afterwards in a bucket of water to remove the paint from the mechanism, when dry repaint and OIL the mechanism. Grease is bad as it gets sticky, tacky and attracts dirt/grit.

The paint removal eliminates big flakes of paint flaking off the target and reduces the chances of chips flaking off the paddle being mistaken for hits/splits.
Using a blowtorch can make the stubborn paint easier to as does other methods but I find the good old paint scraper with sharp blade the best.
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 18th April 2016, 04:11 PM

Older Nockovers have a S shaped link between the paddle and the faceplate, held on with a kind of starlock washer. Later ones have a pair of steel strips with pins.

We change the pins for M4 stainless bolts with washers and M4 stainless locknuts. If any of the older type have the starlocks pop off due to corrosion we bin the S link, make new stainless strip links and fit stainless pivots as above.

Nockovers have the advantage that they fall to about 45 degrees and then stop, so when the reset string is pulled, the tension resolves into an upward component to lift the target. Gamos and other makes like Umarex tend to fall almost flat, and then the string tension acts to pull the whole target towards you rather than raise the faceplate. We modify Gamos by putting in a limit screw that stops the faceplate falling beyond the 45 degree plane, and that has cured most of the broken string problem.
Old 18th April 2016, 04:25 PM

We clean our targets off quite regularly, need to be careful with too much heat on the spring i reckon but it's definitely worth the effort, they look great!
I grease ours with spray 'white grease'?.. works really well i reckon.