Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 30th January 2009, 11:27 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Default Overthinking...?

Overthinking 'disrupts golf putt'

Golfers who think too much about their technique between shots could be seriously affecting their performance, a study has suggested.
St Andrews University and US scientists said they had established that too much analysis made the golfer's game worse.
They said thinking too much about the previous shot can disrupt performance.
In total, 80 golfers were given shots to practise until they got it right. Those who discussed their putting between strokes took twice as long.
The study found that when the mix of skilled and novice golfers tried again, those who had discussed the shot took longer to get the shots right as those people who had spent a couple of minutes engaged in other, unrelated activities.

"However, what we found surprising is that simply describing one's putting skill after it has been executed can be incredibly disruptive to future putting performance."

He said overthinking did not seem to affect novices because "they probably haven't developed enough skills to forget in the first place" and claimed that top professionals would be less susceptible as they were very focused in their approach.

Prof Anderson said the findings may have consequences for people who take part in other sports.
"This observation may have repercussions for athletes who depend on effective mental techniques to prepare for events," he added.
"Moreover, those who teach golf, or any motor skill, might be undoing their own talent in the process."
Could have some parallels with shooting?
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 30th January 2009, 12:36 PM

Hi Rob

Well you certainly seem to shoot better when you don't stop and think about it - like the CSFTA at Christchurch where you didn't miss a target until you hit the logjam of shooters at the end of the course

Old 30th January 2009, 01:50 PM

Yes that makes sense. I think if you stop to think about your shooting (Score, misses, mistakes, or how others are shooting) It lets doubts creep in and those doubts knock your confidence and that in turn can ruin your score.
A few weeks ago I was shooting FT really well (for me) until my shooting partner said "Wow you've hit 15 in a row, I hope I have'nt just jinx your shooting" I missed the next 4 shots!
Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Old 1st February 2009, 10:15 AM
Member of: Harriers

I think that it is mastering this aspect of shooting that seperates the top guys from the mortal.

I find it's hard to get a run going and then when I do get a run there's a time when I'm not thinking "I'm doing well" until it happens. However, each time I hope I learn.

Old gold adage "Driving's for show, putting's for dough!"

Old 31st March 2009, 06:50 PM
BFTA 2010 European Champion & Pooch Plinking Plonker
Member of: NELSON
Default help from a far

All try reading a book called the art of ZEN
? have you ever driven to work when getting there you cant remember driving our the traffic lights. Stopping at junctions you know you did because you didn't crash. Basically this is where you need to be when shooting well.

happy days
one of the druids