Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th February 2016, 09:08 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Good question!
It's been a long time since I wrote that guide - must be coming on for 10 years ago now

There's a few more that have been mentioned so far already. Play around with light and dark. If you shoot through a dark area and place the target in the light, it can make the target appear closer than it is, especially if you use a light coloured faceplate and the opposite is also true - if you're shooting through a light area into a dark area that tends to make the target look further away.

Most of the tricks though are things that are peculiar to your ground, so it pays to experiment.

It's no good just setting a target in an area that might cause you to misrange either, you need to double that up with a target that will mean you'll miss if you get the range wrong. So the example above about bracketting a 30mm kill at 38yds gives the same answer as bracketting a 35mm at 45yds. If you couple that little nugget by putting the 38 yarder out in a position that makes it look further as well.

If a target looks about the right distance as the distance you've bracketted it at you're more likely to aim in the wrong place

Personally, I love to see a course that's had lots of thought put into it - helping to set out courses yourself really helps you to appreciate a good course. Some of them are nothing short of a work of art, but you have to have course setting experience to fully appreciate them.
Old 18th February 2016, 09:14 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion
Member of: M.A.D

Originally Posted by si7777777 View Post
As above, help set out to see the tricks.
One extra sneeky one is a target over or in front of a bright background. MAD did one in front of a white table on its side and it made the target look very crisp and in focus, so clearly a nice 25 yarder! But it wasn't
Guilty as charged , bright wasnt it , the trick was a big white plinking range board about 5 yards in front of the target , the distraction it causes due to the size, brightness and clarity is always a winner ,I spotted the same trick at the English open with THE buxted target over a pallett,
Tugg, it was 36.275 yds ,

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?

Last edited by vinny; 18th February 2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 18th February 2016, 09:20 PM
Member of: Misfits, Kibworth misfits

The course setters at the Midlands Daystate shoot this past weekend caught me out twice, my scope and target was telling me full distance but pull the trigger and you've come out high, some very clever course setters out there
Old 19th February 2016, 08:27 AM

Please don't go mad. It became a sport in itself many years ago trying to be the best course setter and stopping people clearing your course. Every course setter looking for the Holy Grail of courses.

It's a target sport to see who can shoot the best. Most shooters just want a decent challenging and honest course.

Last edited by skires; 19th February 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 20th February 2016, 07:37 AM
Dan Smith
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Thanks for all these tip lads. More stuff to think about before I pull the trigger.
Newbie with an r10.
MTC viper connect x24 SCB
Old 20th February 2016, 07:46 AM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Originally Posted by Tench View Post
You know you have been suckered when you give a target full distance then walk to the next lane and it is further away! I have lost count of the times I have done that!
Always have a little walk up the firing line Simon :-)

You can never shoot enough pellets
Old 20th February 2016, 07:53 AM

I haven't shot a proper hft course for a few years now , but it always amazed me how many people don't range all the odds and ends on a target alot of the things I used too see down the route gave subtle hints. Often I'd pick a range from everything but the target itself.

But then I never hit anything anyway.
Old 20th February 2016, 09:19 AM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

I try and counter all these tricks by finding where my px distance is on the ground on a leaf or tree, and use that as a visual datum. Blur is the third range finding method then bracketting if still not sure as a fourth or fifth final method.
still get caught out sometimes but that's part of the fun!
Learnt everything I know from Brians range finding tips which are so good I still occasionally read them after 9 years of HFT.
Old 20th February 2016, 09:36 AM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Agreed, first thing I recommend to anybody starting hft is to go and read Novice to Ninja, then do some shooting and read it again!
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.