Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 9th December 2015, 09:41 PM
Default Bullpups for HFT?

As the title suggests.
I assume bullpups
are not really suitable for HFT ?
Would that be fair?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 9th December 2015, 09:57 PM

I can't see why not, they seem to be the latest fad but when it comes down to it they are just a airgun and as long as it's accurate and can be used in single shot mode, so yes I expect to see them creeping in with hamsters and other mods.
Old 9th December 2015, 10:04 PM

They seem to have high scope rails which will effect prone shooting,maybe lol.
Old 9th December 2015, 10:18 PM
itchy trigger finger
Member of: springfield and mad

a high scope rail if it gives you over 2" between centre of barrel and centre of scope is gong to give you a disadvantage on sub 20yd aimpoints.
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.
Old 10th December 2015, 06:38 AM

People have used them in FT for many years.

B***er ... read the title before posting.

Er ... HFT ... Weight will be further back and, in my opinion, better balanced ( especially for smaller shooters ), on standers and kneelers.

Yes the scopes may be higher. You just learn your aim points.

This can be an advantage, not a disadvantage, if the shooter is not great at ranging at longer HFT ranges, but very good at sub 25 ranges. The high mounts, and bore to scope distance, mean the aim points are closer together at the longer ranges. So you may get the distance wrong between 40 and 45 yard targets and still knock them down.

The payback, as Tugg says, is there is more holdover at sub 20 yard targets. That's ok if you are good at ranging close distances. You just learn your aimpoints at the closer distances.

I shot HFT with high mounts. Once I'd learned the aim points it's fine. I had a 35 yard zero and my close zero was around 17/18 yards. Below 17 yards the holdover obviously gets bigger and bigger ... but once you've learned the aimpoints, and I found ranging below 20 yards easy, it's no problem.

Some won't like it as there are 15mm kills down to 13 yards and they like to set up the kit so you can aim bang on for all 15mm kills. You only get 15mm kills prone. So, once you've learned to range accurately below 20 yards, you shouldn't have a problem aiming and hitting 15mm, HFT prone, under 20 yards. You still don't have to range them within a yard. You can be slightly out. At these close distances, HFT prone, you should be getting just ragged hole size groups. So you do have some room for error, even with a 15mm kill.

To be honest, and I'd have to check ( not shot HFT for a long time ), but I don't think I was out of the kill on 15mm, even at 13 yards ( top of kill ), so it's not that big of a problem. Below 13 yards and the kills are 20mm minimum. You miss 20mm under 13 yards because you don't know the aim points of your kit or you can't see them. If you know your aim points and you can see them and you are missing 20mm, HFT prone, at 12 yards and under ... do something else.

Last edited by skires; 10th December 2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:49 PM

A few people in the sarpa league shoot fx bobcats and do quite well.
Very accurate guns
Old 19th December 2015, 02:04 AM
Red Dwarf
Member of: Grampian arc

Take a look at results, that alone will tell you what works well with the shooter.
Walther Lg400 Red/Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x24 mil compact/Mick Troman Reg mod/floated barrel/Rog stripper/Tec Hro carbon cheek piece/carbon fibre forend...

Walther Lg300 dominator/Dutton tune/custom laminate stock/mec 3/Sightron s111 10-42

2014/15/16 Scottish Team